andresbonifacio

career change at 32

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

with the current state of the economy my chosen career is much like not having any career at all.

been thinking of going back to school, get another degree or some certification in a different field etc.

anyone here have done this at the age of 32 or later? I feel like I'm too old to go back to zero and start over. :(

11/05/09 - Sent I-130 for mother via snail mail

11/13/09 - Received NOA1

03/05/10 - Received NOA2

03/11/10 - Case entered into NVC system, MNL case # assigned

03/18/10 - Sent DS3032 via E-mail

03/24/10 - DS3032 entered into NVC system

03/25/10 - Received IV Fee bill by E-mail, PAID both IV and AOS Fees on-line

03/26/10 - AOS Bill showed as PAID (still waiting for 2009 Tax Transcript from IRS)

03/29/10 - IV Bill showed as PAID (still waiting for mother's documents from the Philippines)

04/09/10 - Sent AOS Package by snail mail

04/12/10 - NVC received AOS package

04/19/10 - Sent IV Package by snail mail

04/21/10 - NVC received IV package

04/28/10 - AOS accepted (received checklist re:IV package even if NVC received it already)

05/03/10 - Sign In FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!

05/05/10 - AVR message: "CASE COMPLETED ON 05/04/10"

05/12/10 - Received interview letter via e-mail

05/17-18/10 - Medical Exam

06/16/10 - Interview Appointment @ the Embassy (Canceled because of sputum and culture test, 2 months waiting)

08/05/10 - New Interview Appointment

08/07/10 - Visa delivered 2 days after interview

08/27/10 - LAX P.O.E.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What are your skills and interests?

It's never too late to change your path, but you need to utilize what you've already experienced to avoid starting from zero.

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

as i recall, justashooter is training on a new career and he's older than 32. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

I was 32 when I started in my current career. Didn't need to go back to school, though. My degree doesn't match my job but that has bothered neither me nor my employers nor does it or has it ever had any adverse effect on my career progression. I know I didn't want to go back to school at 32 but think I would have considered it had it been necessary as it is for a number of professions.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

32???? :rofl: I've went through 4 career changes since I was 32 (44 next week). I am a loser though, so go figure. :D

Find something that you like and go for it. You'll kick yourself in the azz later if you don't.

All great advice. Career changes are a normal part of modern life it would seem - the best thing is to view it as an opportunity, which it really is, not some kind of failure :thumbs: Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

The goal is making more money. Do whatever you need to do to make more money. If you can make more money buy cleaning toilets than pushing pencils, by all means: Start cleaning toilet.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

with the current state of the economy my chosen career is much like not having any career at all.

been thinking of going back to school, get another degree or some certification in a different field etc.

anyone here have done this at the age of 32 or later? I feel like I'm too old to go back to zero and start over. :(

Two career changes since 36, getting ready to start yet another in Sept. at 60

Edited by Craneman

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The goal is making more money. Do whatever you need to do to make more money. If you can make more money buy cleaning toilets than pushing pencils, by all means: Start cleaning toilet.

I guess that depends on your perspective. I make about 25 percent less here in Vietnam, with the cost of living factored in. I love my job here though. Happiness trumps the lost wages for me.

I guess that depends on your perspective. I make about 25 percent less here in Vietnam, with the cost of living factored in. I love my job here though. Happiness trumps the lost wages for me.

You don't clean toilets ;)

Quality of life, that's the ticket :thumbs:

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Quality of life and happiness are directly correlated with money and wealth. Mo'money = mo'happiness.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My Mom's reading this book by an economists in 1992 who was predicting all the things that are happening now. Basically the economists says forget careers. They don't exist anymore because the bottom line is corporations don't give a ####### about you. Quit your job in your head and just see it as the bottom line way to make a living. He also says that before the early 1900's retirement didn't exist either. That retirement is a myth and was created after the war as a way to get the older generation out of positions so that the younger generation could have those jobs. That the statistics for those that go into retirement now days is exceptionally high for depression for feeling useless and being put out to pasturer and for suicides and natural causes death rates. That we should just plan to work the rest of our lives as that is what people did in the old days before the retirement myth was created.

Those are just some of the things she told me from the book.

I went back to college at 28 and finished my bachelors degree in a field that is ever changing or going extinct but completely different from what I did before as a career. Now I'm out in the job market and I've been looking for work for the past 7-8 months. I've applied for 115 jobs and only had 3 call backs and 1 interview. Yesterday on NPR I heard that the state I'm in is number 6 on a gallop poll for the worst in the nation for jobs and job creation and also tied with Maine.

I think that if you're going to change your career pick something that is hiring a lot like in the health field and you don't have to do as much schooling in if you're going back to school. A lot of the jobs that are hiring only require a 2 year degree and you don't need a more expensive sometimes useless 4 year degree for it. These tech degrees are medical transcription, medical coding, graphic design, nursing, dental assistant, medical assistant, culinary chef, paralegal. I think there is a lot to be said for getting a 2 year degree when you spend less and get out and make more money then those who went longer, spent more, and got out and can't find a stupid job.

Edited by Cleocatra

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Timeline
Quality of life and happiness are directly correlated with money and wealth. Mo'money = mo'happiness.

Oh what a load of #######. There's more to quality of life than money. Sure, money is great and one should try to make more of it - doing what one enjoys doing, that is. If money is everything, go ahead and work 3 full time jobs and you should be as happy as can be. Until you collapse, that is.

Poverty does not lend itself well to happiness, unless you are a yogi, nun or other religious type. However, once you are reasonably comfortable more money does not guarantees more happiness, in fact the pursuit of money at the expense of all else is inversely proportional to happiness.

Only poor people say that. World's richest man has more than 62 billion dollars. He still works full time. Why? Because mo'money = mo'happiness. By your theory, he should've stopped working after earning his first 10 million because by that point he was resonably comfortable. The more money you have, the more easier it is to be happier. If you have 1 million dollars you're x amount happy. If you have a million and 1 dollar, you're one whopper junior more happy.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE