Captain Oates

Celebrity country moves

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

For us VJers, moving country is very very difficult

So much form filling and regulations and pitfalls

Have you noticed how celebrities just flit around like it was so easy.

For Instance Mel Gibson is a natural borm American and therefore qualified to be President, and he is Irish too from his mother's Nationality

The rumour (no doubt unfounded ) is that he might move to Australia

Although it's a 99% possibility he isn't going to do that, I bet he could really easily...

A mill or two to start a business on paper (done by his attorney) and whoosh he is in before his tourist time runs out.

Presumably his Australian green card equivalent has expired.......

Money doesn't talk - it screams (Wall street)

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

actors, musicians and sports people generally have their own visa class in many countries.....besides, if he is reconciling with his wife she was born in Australia

I know John Lennon wanted a GC but smoke got in his eyes - so there must be time limits on artist's visas... some restriction...

Similarly David Soul took British Nationality but he must have had 'indefinite leave' first via some route

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

The visa for the US is the EB2. I believe, like H1 visas, there is a route to a green card. Mark David Chapman might have got to John Lennon before the INS could.

I believe there is a similar visa for individuals who wish to go to the UK (don't know the name) and like other work visas, there is a route to citizenship, should one choose to take it

90day.jpg

Timeline

The visa for the US is the EB2. I believe, like H1 visas, there is a route to a green card. Mark David Chapman might have got to John Lennon before the INS could.

I believe there is a similar visa for individuals who wish to go to the UK (don't know the name) and like other work visas, there is a route to citizenship, should one choose to take it

Heck, I wonder why Mel never bothered with Australian citizenship seeing as he was there for decades. Perhaps the tax thing is pretty onerous in Australia although I think the US is the only one that follows you for life.

The celebs really don't seem to bother with GC's much. Yes John Lennon did get his GC before he got his 'welcome to America' - so there must have been an incentive of some kind. If they can kill his performing visa they can kill his GC - they killed Charlie Chaplin's GC when he had been here many decades and he was out of the country on a short trip..

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I know John Lennon wanted a GC but smoke got in his eyes - so there must be time limits on artist's visas... some restriction...

Similarly David Soul took British Nationality but he must have had 'indefinite leave' first via some route

Nixon, himself, stood in the way on Lennon.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I was thinking too about the American celebs who marry someone from other countries. For example, Katy Perry is engaged to Russ Brand, who is English. Are they having to go through the K-1 or CR1 process? Why would the be exempt? If they plan to live in the US then they should have to go through the process like everyone else. Just sayin'. :yes:

Edited by Darren + Heather

03-05-10 NOA1

05-26-10 Received RFE dated 05-21-10 (I forgot to answer a question, grr)

05-26-10 Replied to RFE

06-08-10 NOA2

09-08-10 Interview (187 days from NOA1)

10-05-10 Visa Issued

10-19-10 POE Atlanta

10-28-10 Wedding

05-17-11 AOS Interview APPROVED!! "Green Card" is on it's way.

Happily ever after...

Timeline

Nixon, himself, stood in the way on Lennon.

but not at the precise time and place he should have !

I don't know why Lennon needed a GC though if he had a 'super visa' that let him stay anyway..

moresheep400100.jpg

I was thinking too about the American celebs who marry someone from other countries. For example, Katy Perry is engaged to Russ Brand, who is English. Are they having to go through the K-1 or CR1 process? Why would the be exempt? If they plan to live in the US then they should have to go through the process like everyone else. Just sayin'. :yes:

Russell Brand most likely already has an EB2 visa as he already works here

90day.jpg

Timeline

Russell Brand most likely already has an EB2 visa as he already works here

What's the practical diff between a EB2 and a GC ?

If a EB2 holder doesn't want to be a USC, can they just live in the US forever like a GC holder - in fact better coz they don't have to be here without big abscences.

I still can't figure out why Lennon wanted a GC

Presumably going from a EB2 to a GC involves annual quotas ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I wonder how Mel's Rubber Recycling Endeavor Went?

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2007/07/11/mel-gibson-backs-green-rubber/

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

What's the practical diff between a EB2 and a GC ?

If a EB2 holder doesn't want to be a USC, can they just live in the US forever like a GC holder - in fact better coz they don't have to be here without big abscences.

I still can't figure out why Lennon wanted a GC

Presumably going from a EB2 to a GC involves annual quotas ?

I am not 100% sure......I believe it needs to be renewed every 2 years but can be extended indefinitely, so the benefit to getting a green card may be to have a document with 10 years validity if you plan on staying long term.... this visa class also includes top scientists and what not as well

90day.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If they are VJers, I'd like to meet them. Specially Katy.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

I am not 100% sure......I believe it needs to be renewed every 2 years but can be extended indefinitely, so the benefit to getting a green card may be to have a document with 10 years validity if you plan on staying long term.... this visa class also includes top scientists and what not as well

No wonder they find it easy to swan around anywhere they want - they won't even put the renewal date in their outlook coz their attorneys will look after it. I bet they can stay out 12 months without doing a re-entry permit too. It is better than a GC !

If I went into orbit for the Americans and I was up there 12 months and a day and coming back to land in the US - would I need a re-entry permit ?

moresheep400100.jpg