Fritz6333

Question about advanced parole (I-131)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi

A little background:

Just started the AOS process - we were married last week, going from an F-1 Visa (currently on OPT) - to green card petition. I'm going to file a I-131 concurrently with my I-485 because I's assuming I might have to travel before the AOS interview is scheduled.

Anyway, the question I wanted to as is - how much info/details do they need for form I-131 section 7? It says:

...please explain how you qualify for an advance parole document and what circumstances warrant

issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered

I checked out the example that is available on this website, but they don't write much in that space. I think I am going to explain why I am travelling (wedding reception in home country) and list the dates. Is that enough? Do I need more supporting evidence? The receptions will take place at my parents and my grandparents houses, so we won't exactly have venue contracts/receipts.

Any help appreciated! This site has definitely eased the burden - almost all my other questions were answered through forum searches!

AOS timeline:

Mailed AOS packet on Sept. 9 2010

Day 2 - USPS tracking confirms delivery.

Day 6 - Return receipt from Chicago Lockbox received.

Day 8 - Text/email alerts received.

Day 9 - Checks cashed.

Day 11 - NOA1 received (all forms).

Day 16 - Biometrics appointment notice received.

Day 40 - Biometrics completed.

Day 53 - Initial interview appointment notice received.

Day 59 - EAD card production notice email/text received.

Day 70 - AP document received.

Day 72 - EAD card received.

Day 85 - Interview. Verbal approval received.

Day 88 - AOS approval notice received.

Day 100 - PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED! No USCIS until 2010!

Filed: Timeline

You don't really need to provide a whole lot of information in that section. Just something basic like "To attend wedding reception/visit family in home country."

Moving from Family-Based AOS forum to Travel During US Immigration section.

Welcome to VJ. :)

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING because you're an AOS applicant!

Please read the form instructions which deals with this section, here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-131instr.pdf specifically page 4 section 1 c. You can see they ask for:

a. for proof of your status, and (this is a photocopy of your visa)

b. explanation of your reasons etc OR (you don't do this because of the "or" and because C applies to you)

c. if applicant for AOS, the receipt of application (when filed WITH the application, no receipt needed)

d....

I did not include any documents for "proof" because my proof of qualifying is the fact I am filing for AOS, as per the instructions. I was approved without RFE and in around 2 months which is standard.

**Edit -- in case that seems ambiguous, I am satisfying part A, and part C, as part B and C are an "or" situation

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Vanessa&Tony,

I think you might have misinterpreted my question. The evidence I am referring to is: do I have to prove that a wedding reception is going to take place (i.e. contracts for venues/photographer/caterer) and that is the reason I am travelling or is it sufficient to just explain that it will take place (no evidence, just my word).

I think Krikit has covered the answer though.

AOS timeline:

Day 9 - Checks cashed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Vanessa&Tony,

I think you might have misinterpreted my question. The evidence I am referring to is: do I have to prove that a wedding reception is going to take place (i.e. contracts for venues/photographer/caterer) and that is the reason I am travelling or is it sufficient to just explain that it will take place (no evidence, just my word).

I think Krikit has covered the answer though.

No I completely understood, you misunderstood my response. You DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING!! There is NO "reason" for travel. There is no "write a letter explaining why you need it" because you're applying for AOS you write NOTHING. You simply complete the form. Write dates in (or write unknown) and attach a photocopy of your visa which explains your current status, 2 photos, photocopy of your passport and that's IT. The section you quoted applies to you yes, but your "attached documents showing reasons for travel" is your AOS application. As you're sending the I-131 WITH your AOS application you don't send the NOA1 from the AOS. if you filed the I-131 AFTER filing AOS, but BEFORE you are approved, then you would send the NOA1 from the AOS as proof of your eligibility. So this attachment that you are talking about explaining your reasons, and Krikits response DO NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Timeline

Ah. I think I understand now. You're saying I don't need to give them a reason for travel. All I need to prove is that I have filed for AOS. When I looked at the example forms on this website, there is a "supplement to I-131" that has something to the effect of "description of travel" on it, so I assumed that I had to list why I was travelling out of the country for.

It was somewhat confusing to me, but now I see your point, now that I read the a,b or c list you gave and in the I-131 instructions again, it seems clearer. All these directions sadly seem very vague to me and sometimes I understand them completely different each time I read them!

AOS timeline:

Day 9 - Checks cashed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.