sofieh

Visiting the US before the K-1 fiance(e) visa goes through?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, right now I'm living in Sweden and me and my American fiance have filed for the K-1 visa and I'm wondering if I can go to the US on a tourist visa (visa waiver program) for about 90 days to visit him while the fiance visa is in process? If I visit the US for 90 days and then go back to Sweden, do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I return to the US? I read somewhere that I have to wait 6 months after I've been there 90 days - sounds odd to me. And any personal experience on how long it's taken for the K-1 visa to go through? Thanks for the help :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This is a very common question. Do some reading in the VJ Wiki (http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Travel_To_The_US_While_Visa_Process_Is_Pending) as well as the K1 forum to determine how you will proceed.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malawi
Timeline

This is a very common question. Do some reading in the VJ Wiki (http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Travel_To_The_US_While_Visa_Process_Is_Pending) as well as the K1 forum to determine how you will proceed.

My fiance was able to come and visit the U.S. It seems to all depend on the Consular. We were both able to speak with him, explain what we wanted to do, and gave our word not to marry and try to loophole the system while she was here. The Consular heard us out and said he believed we wouldn't try anything funny and that he believed my fiance wouldn't attempt to live/stay in the U.S. as an illegal. She just looked him in the eye and said, dude, my family is here, everyone I know is here, and I only want to go so I can be with this man and see if we even still would feel the same living in the U.S. She told him, hey, if I don't like it there, even being with him, I am definately coming back. Why would I want to live illegally, on the run, unable to work, unable to drive, etc etc. So, it seems like if you can prove to the Consular you are not just some poor foreigner trying to make it to the States to run from a ####### life then, they have the power to say yes. One thing I will say, if you say you are only going for 90 days then only stay for 90 days. We asked for 90 days, received a 6 month stamp from immigration at the airport in D.C. and, when we returned to Malawi the Consular was unhappy that we stayed longer than what we said we would. He said we went against our word for the 90 days and should have called him. It seemed strange to me that he was upset since we/she did go back but, he said comunication was key. I, the petitioner, had to explain that I didn't realize sticking to the 90 days even though immigration gave us 6 months was such a big deal. I had to apologize and schmooze to get back on his good side. Right now we are hoping it doesn't hurt or come back to haunt us when she goes for the interview. Anyway, thats my story lol.....let me know if you have more questions....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

JDandBT - You have had a rare gift, of actually talking to a Consular Official for a B-2 visa interview for yer lass. That's so rare, I'm gonna have to dig out a special 'Meet The ConOff' Award for you, soonish.

For most other Countries, alas, that's NOT the case - Impossible to get in for a tourist visa interview with yer fiance(e), at all.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.