RE206NZ

Co-Sponsor for Fiancee Visa

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

So my Fiancee is done with her interview and everything went well, except they told her that my income from last year was too low, they are asking for a Co-Sponsor. My question is, What is my next step? I know that I have to get it from someone related to me, does it need to have an attached letter saying it's their Income from last year and they are willing to help support? Do they also have to show some of their recent Paystubs? Because they are still asking for my recent Income information.

Thank you all for your kind responses, looking forward to reading them later. God bless

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

So my Fiancee is done with her interview and everything went well, except they told her that my income from last year was too low, they are asking for a Co-Sponsor. My question is, What is my next step? I know that I have to get it from someone related to me, does it need to have an attached letter saying it's their Income from last year and they are willing to help support? Do they also have to show some of their recent Paystubs? Because they are still asking for my recent Income information.

Thank you all for your kind responses, looking forward to reading them later. God bless

The co-sponsor doesn't have to be a family member but from what I have read on here in the past and with the embassy you are dealing with it would most likely be your best option to have a direct relative co-sponsor. Your fiances co-sponsor should provide the last three years tax transcripts (you can call the IRS and get them in about 2 weeks.) You should also provide pay stubs, w-2's, bank statements showing acct blalance and average(notarized). Letter of employment stating the name of the company the position and annual salary on a company letter head. Also, if the co-sponsor owns any property, stocks, bonds basically any assets that can be used.

But if you have not already provided your financial info your co-sponsor will not be looked at. Even if you're using a co-sponsor you have to provide your financial info as well. Both you and the co-sponsor will have to submit separate form(s) I-134 when your fiance goes back to the embassy.

When you go to adjust status once your fiance is in the USA your co-sponsor can be anyone.

Good Luck.

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The co-sponsor doesn't have to be a family member but from what I have read on here in the past and with the embassy you are dealing with it would most likely be your best option to have a direct relative co-sponsor. Your fiances co-sponsor should provide the last three years tax transcripts (you can call the IRS and get them in about 2 weeks.) You should also provide pay stubs, w-2's, bank statements showing acct blalance and average(notarized). Letter of employment stating the name of the company the position and annual salary on a company letter head. Also, if the co-sponsor owns any property, stocks, bonds basically any assets that can be used.

But if you have not already provided your financial info your co-sponsor will not be looked at. Even if you're using a co-sponsor you have to provide your financial info as well. Both you and the co-sponsor will have to submit separate form(s) I-134 when your fiance goes back to the embassy.

When you go to adjust status once your fiance is in the USA your co-sponsor can be anyone.

Good Luck.

This is a little misleading. :blush:

In every case, you have to provide what the consulate specifically asks for at a minimum, and this will vary a little from one consulate to another. Most ask for the most recent year's tax return. Some ask for 3 years tax returns. Some ask for a letter of employment. Almost everything else you listed is optional at every consulate I'm aware of.

W2's are part of a printed tax return. They aren't separate evidence. If you provide IRS transcripts instead of a printed tax return then W2's aren't required. If you provide a printed tax return then you have to include every single page and document that was or would have been submitted to the IRS - all forms, schedules, W2's, 1099's, whatever.

Pay stubs are occasionally specifically requested by the consulate, but they are usually optional, and usually only useful if the tax return shows insufficient income, but the sponsor has a new job with income that would qualify them. They're also useful if the consulate asks for a letter of employment, but the employer is unwilling to provide it. Bank statements are optional, and usually only useful if the sponsor is self-employed. Listing of assets is always optional, and only useful if the sponsor cannot qualify on income alone.

At most consulates, if a sponsor qualifies on income alone then a tax return or transcript is sufficient evidence of income, and a letter of employment is sufficient evidence that the sponsor is still employed. If it's clear from the tax returns that a sponsor is well qualified then there's no point breaking your back to get all of that other evidence.

For the co-sponsor, they will also require proof that the co-sponsor is a US citizen or legal resident, and that they reside in the United States.

The Embassy in Manila tends to be pretty picky when it comes to co-sponsors. They prefer a co-sponsor who is a close relative of either the petitioner or beneficiary, since there is a higher chance such a person would be willing to sign an I-864 when it comes time for the beneficiary to adjust status in the US. They also tend NOT to accept a co-sponsor if the petitioner's income is not likely to improve enough to make them eligible to sponsor on their own. They are more likely to accept a co-sponsor if the petitioner is young, and a recent graduate. People have asked the embassy about this in the past, and they've said they expect the petitioner to be able to provide the "public charge" guarantee on their own. If they can't, then they want a pretty good reason why they can't, and reasonable assurance that they will be able to meet the requirements in the foreseeable future, and also reasonable assurance that a co-sponsor will step up to the plate when it's time to submit an I-864.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I'm not sure what exactly is misleading but OK. I was giving advice for what I used in my case since I did use a co-sponsor. It was general advice, and I do understand that the OP's embassy experience is different than mine. I think its kinda unfair to tell the op and the rest of the ppl who read this to say I'm misleading the op it kinda disenfranchises me and surely was not my intent.

OP, read the guides on the site and ask questions in your regional forum. Good luck.

AOS, EAD, AP

ROC

Timeline

I'm not sure what exactly is misleading but OK. I was giving advice for what I used in my case since I did use a co-sponsor. It was general advice, and I do understand that the OP's embassy experience is different than mine. I think its kinda unfair to tell the op and the rest of the ppl who read this to say I'm misleading the op it kinda disenfranchises me and surely was not my intent.

OP, read the guides on the site and ask questions in your regional forum. Good luck.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to trash your post in any way. Everything you listed is certainly acceptable evidence, and you aren't going to be denied for providing any of it. :thumbs:

By the same token, many of the things you listed aren't required in many cases. Your post gave the impression that each piece of evidence you listed was required. I was trying to clarify what is usually required vs. what is usually optional. The OP is responding to a 221(g) from the consulate, and he has a limited amount of time to respond. He should probably focus on getting what is absolutely required by the consulate. It isn't going to do him much good if he spends a week or two getting the bank statements, and doesn't bother to get a copy of the tax return or IRS transcript.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good Luck.

I've turned all of those in already, then they turned down my Income from last year. Even turned down my i-134. So when i have a Co-Sponsor turn in an i-134, would i have to make a new one too? My main questions are:

1. Would i have to make a new I-134?

2. What other documents would my co-sponsor have to turn in (W2, Paystubs?)

3. How many co-sponsors can I have?

Thank you for your response

Since YOUR I-134 is already part of the file now, you JUST need your co-sponsor's I-134 and backup documents, but it has to be the original form with an original signature, so you may want to pay the extra $$ and fedex it to your fiance ASAP, so they can get it quickly.

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Timeline

I've turned all of those in already, then they turned down my Income from last year. Even turned down my i-134. So when i have a Co-Sponsor turn in an i-134, would i have to make a new one too? My main questions are:

1. Would i have to make a new I-134?

2. What other documents would my co-sponsor have to turn in (W2, Paystubs?)

3. How many co-sponsors can I have?

Thank you for your response

They've already told you that your income last year was insufficient. There would be no point in you submitting another I-134, since the conclusion is going to be the same.

Your co-sponsor needs to fill out an I-134 and sign it. They also need to include proof that they are either a US citizen or legal permanent resident. They must also live in the US to be eligible. Beyond this, they have to include the same financial evidence you were required to submit. This is described in packet 4 from the embassy in Manila. They want the most recent years tax return (including W2's, 1099's, etc.) or a transcript from the IRS for the most recent tax year. A letter of employment and bank statements are optional.

It sounds like you weren't aware that your I-134 would be rejected. Did you know what the income requirements are? You are usually required to have income of at least 125% of the poverty guidelines for your household size, which includes you, anyone you support, and your fiancee. Your co-sponsor will have to meet the same income requirements for THEIR household size, which also includes your fiancee.

Timeline

Sorry, I wasn't trying to trash your post in any way. Everything you listed is certainly acceptable evidence, and you aren't going to be denied for providing any of it. :thumbs:

By the same token, many of the things you listed aren't required in many cases. Your post gave the impression that each piece of evidence you listed was required. I was trying to clarify what is usually required vs. what is usually optional. The OP is responding to a 221(g) from the consulate, and he has a limited amount of time to respond. He should probably focus on getting what is absolutely required by the consulate. It isn't going to do him much good if he spends a week or two getting the bank statements, and doesn't bother to get a copy of the tax return or IRS transcript.

No worries, I should have stated that most of the things are not required. I was not thinking about time being an issue, but indeed it is. Months before my wife's interview I made sure I had everything squared away even before our NoA2, So my line of thinking was, the more evidence the better. Again not factoring the time issue.

OP as for your other questions Jim has pretty much covered the bases, not to mention he has helped me in the past with my own issues and is very knowledgeable about this process. Good luck.

AOS, EAD, AP

ROC

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

BUMP!

Did you ask them if you can have a co-sponsor since your income is not enough? I'm about to send my K1 application for my fiancee and im worried about my income. I'm 24 y/o currently a college student and works part time. I only earn about close to 14k per year because im at school most of the time. On the other hand, my fiancee holds a Bachelor's Degree and is currently overseas. She earns about $28,800SGD (about $22,000USD) per year. I'm taking up accounting and about to graduate by the end of next year. Do you think that this can be grounds for the US Embassy in Manila to allow a co-sponsor for my application? I just wanted to clear this up before i send out the app. Thanks much everyone!

Richard

Naturalization:

09/11/2010 - Sent N400 Application (with fee waiver request) to Phoenix, AZ

02/16/2011 - I'm a US Citizen!!

K1 Visa for Fiancee:

03/11/2011 - Sent I-129 Application

03/15/2011 - NOA1 via Email

03/17/2011 - NOA1 Hard Copy

05/26/2011 - RFE

06/10/2011 - RFE Response

06/15/2011 - NOA 2 via Email

06/18/2011 - NOA 2 Hard Copy

07/13/2011 - NVC Received Case

07/15/2011 - NVC forwards to US Embassy Singapore

07/17/2011 - Consulate Received Case

07/21/2011 - Packet 3 Received

07/22/2011 - Packet 3 returned

07/29/2011 - Packet 4 Received, Interview Scheduled

08/19/2011 - Interview APPROVED!!

08/26/2011 - Visa on Hand

08/30/2011 - POE, Honolulu, HI

AOS

10/08/2011 - Married in Las Vegas

11/02/2011 - Sent I-485, I-131, I765 to Chicago Lockbox

11/04/2011 - Received and was signed for

11/17/2011 - Acceptance Text Message from USCIS dated Nov 4

11/24/2011 - NOA Hard Copy

11/28/2011 - Biometrics Appointment 12/14/2011

12/07/2011 - Walk in Biometrics

01/05/2012 - I-765 approved + Ordered production of Card

01/13/2012 - Combo Card received , I-1765 and I-131

01/19/2012 - Interview notice! Set for 02/24/2012

02/24/2012 - Interview done! One more background check!

02/24/2012 - USCIS Card Production Notification

02/26/2012 - USCIS Decision Notification (Approval)

03/05/2012 - GC on hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.