Alex.

Question about N-600 and passport

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you adopted your stepdaughter and she lived with you and she had a valid immigrant visa at the time of the adoption she probably gained citizenship already through the adoption. When did you adopt your daughter? Did you apply for a Certificate of Foreign Birth? This will show you as father but will not be valid for citizenship.

I don't know the state you are in but in my state (FL) an adoption ends the parental rights of the birth parent(s), so in the Certificate of Foreign Birth (their US birth certificate) I am listed as their mother. We also changed their last name with the adoption so SS needed to be changed too. They also needed to change the information regarding their status (US citizen).

I adopted my husband's children and they got passports isssued because of the adoption. They still are in removing of condition right now (I was explained by an immigration officer that they need 10 year greencards to be issued a certificate of citizenship).

I had to send in proof that they lived with me, that I acted as a parent, the adoption decree and a lot of other stuff I really did not want to give out of my hands (their passports with entry stamps!), but luckily everything came back and also their US passports.

Sib

Maybe I was misinformed on this subject, was told the adoption process had to take place in her home country, takes six years, but had to be finished before she turned 16. Also had to maintain residence in Venezuela plus get permission from her biological father. Took about a year just to get that permission to bring her here and was extremely expensive. Had to take on two extra jobs for all the expenses encountered, that helped make that time pass.

A close friend just adopted an unwanted orphaned baby girl from Ethiopia, had his home and finances thoroughly evaluated and even had to put up fire exit signs all over the place. Had to maintain residence in Ethiopia, got help from friends, cost him over $50,000.00, but under probation for a year now. Then he can remove those fire exit signs. And this is for an unwanted child!

Ha, even tried to adopt a dog from a TV commercial in Minneapolis, otherwise it would be put to sleep. Wanted me to pay a large fee to come out and examine my home, forget it. Even tried to adopt a boy from Boys Town, we don't do that was told, we just want your money. Even had an expensive battle trying to get full custody of my own kids, had to convince the courts that my ex only wanted a huge amount of child support money that she would never use on my kids. Another hell of a battle, but won that one.

When a kid turns 18, you no longer have a say in their future, at best, can only be a friend. My stepdaughter moved out, but that only lasted about three months. Would take her back, but had my house rules, going to college and making something out of herself. No drunken parties and the like and keep your room neat was about it. Took that three month stay to get some sense in her had. Been on the high honor roll, and proud of her now, but waiting for next June when she graduates, a huge expense.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Nick,

the birth mother is deceased, so no other party involved, just my husband (the father) and me. The kids were already here in US, they came with their dad on K-2 and adjusted status with him.

Maybe that was the difference.

I just can tell from my experience, that it worked.

My husband's ROC was adjusted and he already got his green card. I called USCIS about the green cards for the kids because I was told before by an immigration officer that they need that green card if I want to apply for a certificate of citizenship. Now I got a letter, that they won't get a permanent resident card, because they are granted citizenship already! Ok, my husband's ROC was sent back twice because of the missing biometric fees of the kids to lift condition, now they don't need it! Why did I have to pay then?

Oh well, one last time for naturalization of my husband and the N-600 then we are done!!

Sib

• 4 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A recent post has been

-- split from this now-closed old thread,

-- left in the main US Citizenship forum, and

-- given the topic title "Asked for Kids' Green Cards before CoC is Issued? [split topic]."

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.