Erthwhile

Exiting the country with I-551 stamp only

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi people,

I got a CR-1 visa through DCF in Italy and I plan a week-long vacation to Jamaica with my wife exactly the day after I enter the US with my immigrant visa. My question is: can I leave the country with the visa only and the admittance stamp but without the actual card in hand?

Also, these are the requirements to enter Jamaica for US residents but not nationals:

U.S. Residents

Other nationals who are permanent residents of the United States may enter Jamaica as tourists without visas, but must travel with:

Alien Registration Cards (Green Cards) or

Valid US reentry permits (if applicable), and round-trip or onward tickets

Resident aliens in the US, visiting Jamaica as tourists for periods not exceeding six (6) months, and who possess return or round trip touring tickets showing that their journey began in the USA, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, and that they are entitled to return there, are not required to hold passports to enter Jamaica.

Jamaican who residents of the US and travelling on their alien Registration cards must have a return ticket to the United States of America.

So, will I be fine with just my I-551 stamp? That is a green card until I don't receivethe actual one right?

Also, I am Italian, and Italian passport holders can enter the country up to 90 days without a visa. Will it be ok then right? The nationality passport is more improtant than the permanent resident status here right?

thansk a lot!

12/07/2009 - I-130 and supporting documents sent to USCIS office in Rome

12/16/2009 - USCIS office received the form

02/16/2010 - NOA1

02/22/2010 - I-130 Approved

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/19/2010 - Medical exam in Napoli

07/20/2010 - Interview

Hi

technically, you can re enter with I-551 stamped. there are a loto of post from other vj's that you can search.

I dont get you well, but are you talking about to enter in Jamaica with your Italian passport?

To travel to Jamaica you only have your italian passport with a stamped I-551 so if they ask you for your green card and they don't recognize your I-551 ( it can happen wherever there is an airport authority) you can use your nationality or viceversa i would use Italian nationality instead US residency because technically you dont need anything else.

Timeline

Hi

technically, you can re enter with I-551 stamped. there are a loto of post from other vj's that you can search.

I dont get you well, but are you talking about to enter in Jamaica with your Italian passport?

To travel to Jamaica you only have your italian passport with a stamped I-551 so if they ask you for your green card and they don't recognize your I-551 ( it can happen wherever there is an airport authority) you can use your nationality or viceversa i would use Italian nationality instead US residency because technically you dont need anything else.

Hi and thanks for your help! So it won't be a problem will it? Exiting the country I mean! I read many ppl going to Canada with their temporary stamp so I think it should be fine right?

And yeah, I am going to Jamaica after entering the US. So I was wondering whether my nationality takes precedence over my GC status.

thanks!!

02/16/2010 - NOA1

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/20/2010 - Interview

HI

As far as i know, this I-551 act like a temporary GC, you have to be sure about the expiration date (LOL in your case this is not an issue ) but i hardly advice you to go to your por of entry where you are planning to reenter an ask.

you can check this out.

USCIS

Timeline

HI

As far as i know, this I-551 act like a temporary GC, you have to be sure about the expiration date (LOL in your case this is not an issue ) but i hardly advice you to go to your por of entry where you are planning to reenter an ask.

you can check this out.

USCIS

Thanks again! It shouldn't be necessary to ask the POE. Since the CR-1 visa is a temporary I-551, THAT will allow me to travel abroad and re-enter the US from the very same day I am admotted to the US. Please anybody correct me if I am wrong!!

02/16/2010 - NOA1

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/20/2010 - Interview

Timeline

Thanks again! It shouldn't be necessary to ask the POE. Since the CR-1 visa is a temporary I-551, THAT will allow me to travel abroad and re-enter the US from the very same day I am admotted to the US. Please anybody correct me if I am wrong!!

So, in the end, can I safely reenter the country after leaving it the day after having entered it and having had my I-551 endorsed? This is my proposed timeline

29th July enter the US - Have the CR-1 visa endoresed/stamped at POE

30th leave for Jamaica

5th of August coming back to the USA.

thanks!

02/16/2010 - NOA1

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/20/2010 - Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So, in the end, can I safely reenter the country after leaving it the day after having entered it and having had my I-551 endorsed? This is my proposed timeline

29th July enter the US - Have the CR-1 visa endoresed/stamped at POE

30th leave for Jamaica

5th of August coming back to the USA.

thanks!

Yes, you are free to travel outside U.S. No advance parole necessary for travel outside the U.S. CR-1 visas are multi entry. Once you get processed at the POE - you receive a 1 year stamp in the passport that validates the CR-1 visa, turning it into a temporary green card (I-551 document)

lolfs.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.