10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I picked up my fiancee today at ORD for her POE and everything went smoothly. She was through the immigration part in only 15 minutes.

However, there was a slight problem.

Apparently she has 3 different alien numbers assigned to her: 1 on the NOA2, a 2nd given to her when she started the visa application at the embassy in London and a 3rd on her visa. The border agent crossed out the one printed on her visa, then handwrote a different one, then crossed that out and wrote the same handrwritten one on the back of her I-94. He said he'd send it on and get it all sorted.

Somehow I'm skeptical that will happen smoothly.

So, who do we talk to? What A# do we use? I thought we'd just write a sheet of paper explaining when we file for AOS.

Thoughts?

RoC Timeline

08/20/2012: Sent I-751 to California Service Center

Our Immigration Checklist

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I picked up my fiancee today at ORD for her POE and everything went smoothly. She was through the immigration part in only 15 minutes.

However, there was a slight problem.

Apparently she has 3 different alien numbers assigned to her: 1 on the NOA2, a 2nd given to her when she started the visa application at the embassy in London and a 3rd on her visa. The border agent crossed out the one printed on her visa, then handwrote a different one, then crossed that out and wrote the same handrwritten one on the back of her I-94. He said he'd send it on and get it all sorted.

Somehow I'm skeptical that will happen smoothly.

So, who do we talk to? What A# do we use? I thought we'd just write a sheet of paper explaining when we file for AOS.

Thoughts?

When you say different, HOW different? 1 digit? all different? Personally I would go by the NOA2 A# simply because it's the one assigned by NVC and thus the most reliable and less likely for human error.

Timeline

All three are off by one digit. NOA2 starts A200, the one printed on the visa says A260, then the one he hand wrote is the same as the NOA2 but with an extra 0 and missing another digit at the end.

I really don't know how this can be so messed up.

RoC Timeline

Timeline

All three are off by one digit. NOA2 starts A200, the one printed on the visa says A260, then the one he hand wrote is the same as the NOA2 but with an extra 0 and missing another digit at the end.

I really don't know how this can be so messed up.

The A number is 9 digits long. Usually it starts with a 0 then 8 digits after it (but there's lots of immigrants, could be more now).

Personally I would stick with the NOA2 number on the forms. The don't tend to read any cover letters written but if you wanted to write a quick thing with big bold letters saying ALIEN NUMBER DISCREPANCY and then list: "NOA2 - (written on forms), Visa -, I-94 - ", then you at least told them about it. Idiots. I don't think it should be that hard but some people are just stupid.

Sorry for the trouble. Ugh Like it isn't stressful enough right?

Timeline

Sorry for the trouble. Ugh Like it isn't stressful enough right?

I know. I think we're just going to use the A# on the I-94 and write an attachment explaining the three different ones giving photographic evidence of each and then politely ask them to figure out which one is the right one. Thanks for the advise. :)

RoC Timeline

Timeline

I know. I think we're just going to use the A# on the I-94 and write an attachment explaining the three different ones giving photographic evidence of each and then politely ask them to figure out which one is the right one. Thanks for the advise. :)

Personally I wouldn't use the I-94 one.. only because someone hand-wrote it. the NOA2 is most reliable seeing it came from NVC but it's up to you inevitably they'll probably mess it up no matter what you do...

• 4 months later...
Timeline
We don't have an A# on my husbands I-94!!!! What should we do? I don't remember seeing an A# on his NOA2 either...

Check the NOA2. It's there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The A# is usually printed on the NOA2 in the box labeled "Beneficiary", just above the beneficiary's name.

BTW, the A# on the NOA2 is assigned by USCIS. The NVC assigns consulate case numbers.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.