Hamburger Man

China to USA Move: DVD/CD/VCD Question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I'm helping my Fiancee (K-1 holder already) move to the United States. She has about 300 or so DVDs, CDs and VCDs she wants to bring. Some of them are cheap copies of American movies, others Kareoke VCDs and also some music CDs. Around 50% or so are probably not-so-legal copies.

She isn't trying to sell them, and even removed the paper jacket from many of them and put just the disk in a large CD/DVD wallet.

I asked her why not ship them and she told me China customs won't allow unmarked disks or disks without a receipt showing their authenticity out of the country via mail.

This disks are her life. She loves these movies and singing along with the VCD songs. They all have subtitles in Mandarin and I know we won't be able to find/replace them (with Mandarin) once in the USA.

What are the legal risks associated with bringing such disks into the country on a flight from Beijing to JFK/NYC.

Any feedback + experiences would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by Hamburger Man

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I would imagine the worst that can happen is they'll try to take it from you. What, they gonna throw you in jail for something that is common practice in another country?

Besides, tell them to prove that they ARE fakes.

We will be bringing some too (maybe not quite 300 though)- just hide them with the clothes, put them in a cd holder- i think it would be a little over the edge going through all your stuff trying to figure out which cds are real and which are fakes.

I think its mostly just old fashioned all-American scare tactics they use to try to keep the company's monopolies from being undermined.

Just my $.02

Also, not suggesting that you lie, but as long as you dont tell them you are bringing some, they shouldn't try looking for them. ;)

Edited by Moonandstar

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

I'm helping my Fiancee (K-1 holder already) move to the United States. She has about 300 or so DVDs, CDs and VCDs she wants to bring. Some of them are cheap copies of American movies, others Kareoke VCDs and also some music CDs. Around 50% or so are probably not-so-legal copies.

She isn't trying to sell them, and even removed the paper jacket from many of them and put just the disk in a large CD/DVD wallet.

I asked her why not ship them and she told me China customs won't allow unmarked disks or disks without a receipt showing their authenticity out of the country via mail.

This disks are her life. She loves these movies and singing along with the VCD songs. They all have subtitles in Mandarin and I know we won't be able to find/replace them (with Mandarin) once in the USA.

What are the legal risks associated with bringing such disks into the country on a flight from Beijing to JFK/NYC.

Any feedback + experiences would be helpful.

Thanks.

I am wondering if you guys cannot bring them the US in installments; a few now, some next time you go to China and return, the rest on some other occasion. I took about 5 such DVDs when I went to visit my fiance in the US and nobody even noticed at the security check. 300, though...I think it's way too much for one load... :huh: Good luck!

Our Love Story's 1st page: June 15, 2008

K 1: 98 days!
May 11 - August 17, 2010 APPROVED!!!
POE: September 14, 2010 Chicago, IL
Wedding Day: September 22, 2010

AOS from K1: 96 days!
November 19, 2010 - February 24, 2011 APPROVED!!!
November 19, 2010: AOS, EAD & AP applications mailed
December 20, 2010: Biometrics (day 31)
January 18, 2011: case transfered to CSC (day 60)
February 10, 2011: EAD & AP approved! (day 83)
February 24, 2011: GC production ordered! (day 96)

Removing conditions: 5 months and 30 days!
December 6, 2012: package mailed
December 10, 2012: NOA 1 (day 4)

June, 5, 2013: APPROVED!!!

June, 10 2013: 10 yr GC received

event.png

an1cHsW0g410610MjAwMTU1bHwyNTY0MzkxbGF8d

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Getting on the plane ? no problem

Flying on the Plane ? no problem

Getting off the plane in USA ? no problem.

Customs Inspection at the POE ? MIGHT BE BIG HASSLE. Is some regs for Customs officials to check for pirated and illegal copies. Some Customs officials are adamant on inspection, others are blase about it. All depends on where the POE is, and which Custom Official you get.

I suggest to go for it - the worst that could happen is that all of the platters are confiscated and a huge fine is levied.

OTOH - a few 500 gig USB drives are easily shipped, even can pack in checked luggage. Maybe she should think to 'copy all' to usb disk, then leave the platters in China, recreate all on new media in USA ?

I'm not an advocate of piracy, by any means - indeed, just the opposite - but in this case, her keeping her cultural ties via the platters seems to be more important that having the platters confiscated, yes?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

load them onto a portable HDD ?

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

For any seizure info, review http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/icp069.ctt/icp069.pdf

starting at page 68.

Just so you know, ah ?

FWIW, since will be tagged as 'personal use', is no fine to be levied (if I'm reading the matrix/grid right).

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

I would probably convert all dvds to a hard drive. A lot of them won't work on a typical dvd player in the US. Unless they say zone 1 on them, they may not play.

I shipped 1000s in my shipment from China to the US. No problem, and my shipment was randomly chosen to be inspected in the US. But I'm a USC. The only thing they were worried about was that I was not shipping antiquities.

I used to carry them over all the time. I also used to send them to my nieces and nephews by mail.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Timeline

ya, that brings up another point - region-free players.

SAMPO makes several, no idea if sold direct in big box stores like Best Buy or Radio Shack -

but always found new with warranty on eBay. I've bought several over the years, no complaints.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I havent had problems with the locales of my fakes. Most fakes end up using the universal code, so they can be played regardless of location. Also, Cds and VCDs dont even have to worry about that problem, if i recall right...

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just throw them in a big cd wallet, put it in your checked luggage, and she'll be fine. They're looking for drugs at the border, not fake cds/dvds..

AOS Timeline

08-Sep-2010 Married
28-Sep-2010 Mailed AOS packet via Express Mail
29-Sep-2010 Received @ Chicago Lockbox
18-Oct-2010 Received 797C NOA for Biometrics appointment
22-Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment (orig sched for 10/28)
29-Oct 2010 RFE (missing signature)
03-Nov Received RFE @ Chicago Lockbox
17-Nov Case transferred to California
24-Nov "Touched" Now being processed at USCIS office
30-Nov "Touched again"
03-Dec May calls Senator Joe Courtney's office for help getting EAD/AP approved
15-Dec Received AP in mail, no notification via e-mail/txt website doesn't show approval
16-Dec EAD Approved (SMS/E-mail) USCIS indicates it was approved yesterday?
18-Dec EAD Card arrived in mail
25-Mar 2011 GC Arrived

31-May 2013 10yr GC approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.