utopia2004

POE fiance or boyfriend?

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

ive been looking through the threads and there just seems to be alot of conflicting advise out there on this issue.

For the last year i have been using visiting my ''boyfriend'' at POE for about 4 trips and havent had an issue, since the last trip we made it more official, but we dont have imminant plans of marriage so I will be making more trips in the next year to see him (although less than we have been- and we dont have a K1 pending yet).

I have ties to the UK- i will have a letter from my university stating i will return for the third year, credit card statement, letter from the part time job i have.

So should i say ''boyfriend'' or ''fiance'', some say always tell the truth, others say ''fiance'' is going to raise eyebrows which might lead to deportation, some say use ''friends'', but since ive had a few trips and spent 4 + 1/2 months in total in the last year in the US- i think ''friends'' will just provoke more questions.. which will reveal that I am visiting my fiance- and it may then look as if im withholding information??

So i am really confused and dont know what to do.

Id like to hear from others who are engaged and visit thier loved ones in the US, do you say ''fiance'' and do you experience any problems?

Im sure theres lots of people who visit 'fiances', and they dont all go online to see what they should say.

mailed i130: 05-05-2011

NOA1 date: 05-11-2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Im sure theres lots of people who visit 'fiances', and they dont all go online to see what they should say.

I am sure you are right :hehe:

Fiance', boyfriend, you decide. I don't think anyone here can read the mind of the border officer. Some will take "boyfriend" to imply immigrant intent, some might feel the same way about "fiance(e)".

Just the tell the truth, bring your proof of ties, that's all you can do (oh and don't overthink it :))

I do ''overthink'' things lol.

If I was to say ''boyfriend'' instead of ''fiance'' at POE now, would this be seen as misinterpretation? and come back to haunt me at the visa interview.

Do they have a record of what you say after being asked questions in primary POE?

Thanks in advance.

Timeline

No, they don't keep a record of what you called him on your last visit. If you are pulled in to secondary for further questioning, then yes, they probably have some record of what you said.

The thing I always think is, you are now kind of paranoid about this (seems to me) so when you go to the border and say 'boyfriend' - can you do that without looking like you are lying?

That's why it's always best to just tell the truth, if you think of him as your fiance then that is what he is, so go with it. If you have strong proof of ties to Canada and you really have no immigrant intent, then just state what you are doing - there is no law that says you can't go visit a fiance, so you are doing nothing wrong, try to keep that in mind.

If they think you are lying they will send you back regardless of what you say.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Timeline

Not fiance, not boyfriend (your sexual orientation is nobody's business) . . . friend or friends.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Thanks.

But isnt ''friends'' going to provoke more questions, since ive spent 4 and 1/2 months in the US over the past 12 months (im now into another year cycle BTW).

The first time i visited the US in fact i said i was visiting a friend, they asked girl or boy (i said girl- as it was)- no more questions, but i imagine if id said boy they may have asked more questions on the relationship- and it may seem like i was trying to hide something. Im so confused.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm one who believes that you should say 'fiance' and have your proof of ties to show you have no intention of staying. It is easy for them to ask 'are you planning on getting married' even if you say 'boyfriend' and then they will say why did you say boyfriend and not fiance - and you can end up talking yourself into circles and causing problems. Be honest, say you are visiting your fiance for XXX number of days/weeks and will be returning on such a such date. Bring proof of return travel plans - booked ticket if you have one or other evidence about why you need to return home. If they ask when are you getting married or if you have filed any paperwork you can say, we haven't got a date set because I need to finish school first but we plan on filing for a fiance visa when it is time.,

I travelled back and forth to the US during my engagement and did not have a problem. As long as you are prepared, are honest and can answer the questions providing further information as requested - you don't need to volunteer more than the date you plan to return - and have your proof of ties, you should be fine.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thanks.

But isnt ''friends'' going to provoke more questions, since ive spent 4 and 1/2 months in the US over the past 12 months (im now into another year cycle BTW).

The first time i visited the US in fact i said i was visiting a friend, they asked girl or boy (i said girl- as it was)- no more questions, but i imagine if id said boy they may have asked more questions on the relationship- and it may seem like i was trying to hide something. Im so confused.

Oh and just so you know, there is no "12 month cycle" for entering the U.S. Canadians can visit the U.S. for up to 180 days at a time (unless instructed otherwise by the border personnel).

Once you have spent 180 days there you must leave the U.S., however, you could then turn around and go back to visit for another 180 days. There is no waiting period and no 'calendar' year involved.

Of course, from a practical point of view they would probably frown on this - then there is the whole tax residency thing too, but that's a different topic :)

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Wow, thanks for that information Trailmix - I didn't know that Canadians didn't have the "12 month" thingie. Truthfully, it's been something I was a bit paranoid about considering the last time I was denied for not having proof of strong ties to Canada.

Let me ask your opinion - the last time we tried to enter (Nov 09), while I was in secondary, the guards verbally said something along the lines of me overstaying by approx 2 months, but the paper they gave me doesn't make any mention of that, all it says is that I shouldn't try to cross again for several months and WHEN I do, to bring very strong ties to Canada with me(they gave me a list of suggested proofs)and the reason they wrote on that paper was that I was unable to prove solvency within Canada.

So, is that the "official" reason for them denying me entry? Or is it the overstay, even tho they didn't write that on the paper that the border guard gave to me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi,

ive been looking through the threads and there just seems to be alot of conflicting advise out there on this issue.

For the last year i have been using visiting my ''boyfriend'' at POE for about 4 trips and havent had an issue, since the last trip we made it more official, but we dont have imminant plans of marriage so I will be making more trips in the next year to see him (although less than we have been- and we dont have a K1 pending yet).

I have ties to the UK- i will have a letter from my university stating i will return for the third year, credit card statement, letter from the part time job i have.

So should i say ''boyfriend'' or ''fiance'', some say always tell the truth, others say ''fiance'' is going to raise eyebrows which might lead to deportation, some say use ''friends'', but since ive had a few trips and spent 4 + 1/2 months in total in the last year in the US- i think ''friends'' will just provoke more questions.. which will reveal that I am visiting my fiance- and it may then look as if im withholding information??

So i am really confused and dont know what to do.

Id like to hear from others who are engaged and visit thier loved ones in the US, do you say ''fiance'' and do you experience any problems?

I'm always of the opinion that (while "risky" at times) honesty is the best policy. You don't want to lie and then happen to end up in a situation where you're having to explain yourself and thus causing things to look more suspicious than it needs to be. What would happen at the POE really depends on the what level of scrutiny they are applying to people and probably mood of the officer questioning you that day. This post had someone who answered "fiance" and they let them through with no problems. You can read more of others' experience on this thread: Yes, you can visit!.

While it can be a hassle, it won't hurt to bring along the pertinent documentation or evidence that you're not going to get married while visiting. All the best on your trip.

Edited by honbako

31-Mar-2010 I-129F Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

01-Apr-2010 I-129F Received by Vermont USCIS

02-Apr-2010 NOA1 sent (USCIS website)

05-Apr-2010 Check cashed

06-Apr-2010 Touched

07-Apr-2010 Touched

10-Apr-2010 NOA1 Hard Copy Received

21-Jun-2010 NOA2 sent (USCIS website)

26-Jun-2010 NOA2 Hard Copy Received

03-Jul-2010 Packet 3 received

07-Sep-2010 K-1 Interview - Approved!

10-Sep-2010 Visa received

20-Oct-2010 Fiancée arrives in U.S.

13-Nov-2010 Wedding

01-Dec-2010 AOS Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

02-Dec-2010 AOS Received by Chicago USCIS

09-Dec-2010 AOS RFE - Incorrect amount on check (application fees increased)

14-Dec-2010 Received RFE from Chicago USCIS

15-Dec-2010 Resent RFE'd AOS (using USPS Express Mail)

16-Dec-2010 RFE'd AOS Received by Chicago USCIS

21-Dec-2010 NOA1 sent (USCIS mail notification)

23-Dec-2010 Notification for ASC Appointment

30-Dec-2010 NOA1 Hard Copy Received (was away on vacation)

18-Jan-2011 NOA for I485 transfer to California USCIS office

20-Jan-2011 ASC Appointment done

16-Feb-2011 NOA for AOS Approval

23-Feb-2011 NOA for AOS Approval Hard Copy Received

23-Feb-2011 Two-year green card received

19-Nov-2012 I-751 Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

20-Nov-2012 I-751 Received by Vermont USCIS

04-May-2013 NOA for Received Removal of Conditional Basis Received

Wow, thanks for that information Trailmix - I didn't know that Canadians didn't have the "12 month" thingie. Truthfully, it's been something I was a bit paranoid about considering the last time I was denied for not having proof of strong ties to Canada.

Let me ask your opinion - the last time we tried to enter (Nov 09), while I was in secondary, the guards verbally said something along the lines of me overstaying by approx 2 months, but the paper they gave me doesn't make any mention of that, all it says is that I shouldn't try to cross again for several months and WHEN I do, to bring very strong ties to Canada with me(they gave me a list of suggested proofs)and the reason they wrote on that paper was that I was unable to prove solvency within Canada.

So, is that the "official" reason for them denying me entry? Or is it the overstay, even tho they didn't write that on the paper that the border guard gave to me.

Hi sweet cheecks,

what was the list of proofs?

The only one i have which i really a ''tie'' is university- third year... but its a BIG tie! Otherthan that i have credit card statements, part time job employment, bank statments?

Is that enough do you think?. I live at home, i own a car, i have a student loan.

Kathlyn, thankyou thats encouraging to know you never had a problem- were you taken into secondary (how long does it take if so?) or were you ok to convice them in primary?

Trailmix, Oh i didnt mean they have a set cycle- just the time i have spent- may to may is 4 and half months, but if they look at it when i go back (July) it will be about the same.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your ties, university and a part time job, sound like good ties. Make sure you bring school enrollment and a letter from your employer that says an expected return date

I agree with Kathryn, I'd say fiance and with those ties I think you'll be just fine

Secondary - I was there for 1 hour when I was visiting my husband. It is awfully intimidating in there...they are like 10 times more scary than primary CBPs

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.