Tick Tock

Form I-485 - Public Assistance from the U.S. Govt.?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a question about birth control pills attained through the (county) health department.

Does this count as receiving public assistance from the U.S. Government?

For anyone who has received birth control pills through the health department: did this put you in jeopardy to any extent?

This is in relation to form I-485, Part C, question #2, which states;

Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source, including the U.S. Government or any State, county, city or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment), or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future?

I initially posted this question in another thread (the topic was about BC) but I did not happen to get a reply so I decided to re-post this as its own thread.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have a question about birth control pills attained through the (county) health department.

Does this count as receiving public assistance from the U.S. Government?

For anyone who has received birth control pills through the health department: did this put you in jeopardy to any extent?

This is in relation to form I-485, Part C, question #2, which states;

I initially posted this question in another thread (the topic was about BC) but I did not happen to get a reply so I decided to re-post this as its own thread.

Unless there were financial requirements you had to meet in order to be eligible to receive the pills, this would not fit the legal definition of "public assistance".

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Birth control pills usually not covered by government establishment (only in extreme situations). And receiving them from health department without payments will be considered assistance from government. I already saw such kind of question before on the attorney website.

For example $ 50.00 per month will be annual $ 600.00. I don't think it's a big deal. Just attach explanation letter.

Timeline

Birth control pills usually not covered by government establishment (only in extreme situations). And receiving them from health department without payments will be considered assistance from government. I already saw such kind of question before on the attorney website.

For example $ 50.00 per month will be annual $ 600.00. I don't think it's a big deal. Just attach explanation letter.

It depends on the government agency handing them out, and the criteria for receiving them. If the only requirement was that you're getting it for free, then practically everything you get from the government would be considered "public assistance", from going to public schools, to getting a pothole repaired in front of your house.

If the assistance is available to anyone at the same cost, regardless of their financial status, then it's not "public assistance" - it's a service provided by the government.

Timeline

It depends on the government agency handing them out, and the criteria for receiving them. If the only requirement was that you're getting it for free, then practically everything you get from the government would be considered "public assistance", from going to public schools, to getting a pothole repaired in front of your house.

If the assistance is available to anyone at the same cost, regardless of their financial status, then it's not "public assistance" - it's a service provided by the government.

Of course that's right. But we don't have much information from OP to make a conclusion. I just know that medicine won't be for free to anyone, especially birth control pills.

Timeline

Of course that's right. But we don't have much information from OP to make a conclusion. I just know that medicine won't be for free to anyone, especially birth control pills.

You can get them free in the county where I live. You have to take a medical screening first (also free). You can also get free condoms, and free testing and treatment for STD's. They used to have a free needle exchange program for IV drug users, but that was too controversial and got scrapped. There's no income declarations you have to make - you can be rich or poor. These are free services provided by the county health department. They DO solicit donations. :blush:

Timeline

You can get them free in the county where I live. You have to take a medical screening first (also free). You can also get free condoms, and free testing and treatment for STD's. They used to have a free needle exchange program for IV drug users, but that was too controversial and got scrapped. There's no income declarations you have to make - you can be rich or poor. These are free services provided by the county health department. They DO solicit donations. :blush:

To get contraceptives for free, you need to qualify for state or federal programs. They usually assist low-income women in accessing reproductive health care and supplies. You need to be a teen or your income should be under $ 20,000.

Don't tell me it's available to everyone!

Filed: Country:
Timeline

To get contraceptives for free, you need to qualify for state or federal programs. They usually assist low-income women in accessing reproductive health care and supplies. You need to be a teen or your income should be under $ 20,000.

Don't tell me it's available to everyone!

That may be for the county you live in but it varies from county to county.

I get my Birth Control from Planned Parenthood and have to pay $6.00 per pack. They made my husband bring in 2 paystubs to see how much I'd have to pay as he is currently financially responsible for me. I seriously hope this doesn't constitute anything bad!

Jinxxabelle's Removal Of Conditions Timeline

Mailed Package To Vermont Service Center: 06/06/2012

Package Received At Vermont Service Center: 06/08/2012

Checks Cashed: 06/15/2012

NOA1 Received: 06/18/2012

Biometrics Notice Received: 07/07/2012

Biometrics Appointment: 07/24/2012

Approved: 03/11/2013

Card Production Ordered: 03/11/2013

10 Year GC Received: 03/16/2013

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

I get my Birth Control from Planned Parenthood and have to pay $6.00 per pack. They made my husband bring in 2 paystubs to see how much I'd have to pay as he is currently financially responsible for me. I seriously hope this doesn't constitute anything bad!

It shouldn't have any bad immigration effects as Private Parenthood is not the government. The gov't only asks one's petitioner to pay back means-tested benefits that the gov't provided. The I-864 is a contract between the government and the petitioner.

Married - 3/12/10

AOS Filed - 5/13/10

Biometrics received - 6/5/10

Biometrics done - 6/9/10

RFE Received 6/10/10

Touched - 6/7/10, 6/16/10, 6/17,10 (all)

RFE delivered - 6/29/10

Resumed processing - 6/30/10

EAD Production Ordered - 7/2/10, 7/8/10, mailed 7/15/10

Touched - 7/6/10, 7/8/10 (485, 765)

Touched EAD - 7/16/10

EAD Received!! - 7/17/10

Interview - August 30, 8:45- Approved!

Timeline

Sorry for not replying sooner folks; been rather busy the past few days. The answers were all greatly appreciated.

In our county, the health department looks at household income and how many members are counted in the household. Based on these values, they determine how much one would pay the health department. The prescription is given to a local pharmacy - I believe they have a contract with the county to handle all prescriptions for the health department. The pharmacy, at least in the case of birth control pills, does not administer further charges at pick-up. I've never gotten any other prescriptions from the health department before, so I don't know if/what they'd charge if (for example) a person were getting antibiotics to treat a cold. The health department administers a 1-year prescription for pills; you have a preceding medical screening.

In our situation, I believe it would be best for me to include the letter of explanation I had drafted. Due to my husband's income, we have made varying payments but one year (if not mistaken), there was no income to report (unemployment hit him at that time) so the health department did not charge us anything.

Is this considered a "means-tested" benefit (I think so)?

If my sponsor will have to reimburse the government, I hope that they'll take payments, and that I will be in a working situation by then to contribute. We'll more than likely be needing a co-sponsor so I hope they don't "skip" the sponsor in favor of asking the co-sponsor to pay. Just "thinking aloud" right now.

Thanks again for the replies. :)

Edited by Tick Tock

Timeline

Sorry for not replying sooner folks; been rather busy the past few days. The answers were all greatly appreciated.

In our county, the health department looks at household income and how many members are counted in the household. Based on these values, they determine how much one would pay the health department. The prescription is given to a local pharmacy - I believe they have a contract with the county to handle all prescriptions for the health department. The pharmacy, at least in the case of birth control pills, does not administer further charges at pick-up. I've never gotten any other prescriptions from the health department before, so I don't know if/what they'd charge if (for example) a person were getting antibiotics to treat a cold. The health department administers a 1-year prescription for pills; you have a preceding medical screening.

In our situation, I believe it would be best for me to include the letter of explanation I had drafted. Due to my husband's income, we have made varying payments but one year (if not mistaken), there was no income to report (unemployment hit him at that time) so the health department did not charge us anything.

Is this considered a "means-tested" benefit (I think so)?

If my sponsor will have to reimburse the government, I hope that they'll take payments, and that I will be in a working situation by then to contribute. We'll more than likely be needing a co-sponsor so I hope they don't "skip" the sponsor in favor of asking the co-sponsor to pay. Just "thinking aloud" right now.

Thanks again for the replies. :)

There is nothing wrong in getting medical assistance from government in a matter of contraceptives.

Best of all let them know and attach an explanation letter.

It won't give you any trouble. The amount is very small and it is not antibiotics or treatments.

Good luck to you! :thumbs:

Timeline

There is nothing wrong in getting medical assistance from government in a matter of contraceptives.

Best of all let them know and attach an explanation letter.

It won't give you any trouble. The amount is very small and it is not antibiotics or treatments.

Good luck to you! :thumbs:

Thank you very much, Alla. :)

A letter of explanation will definitely be included. Much better to be safe than sorry!

Timeline

If the cost was based on your household income, then yes, it is a means tested benefit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.