newlyweds2010

Affidavit of Support + medical checks

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

My fiancee worked for the past two years while still in school.

Now she moved after graduation and doesn't have a job, but is looking for one. So at the moment she doesn't earn anything. Nonetheless, in her bank account she has more than 3 times the amount requested according to the poverty guidelines.

Do you guys think we need to find a co-sponsor for my AOS, or will her assets be ok although she basically has to cover the whole difference (0 - $14,570) with her assets?

Also, the tax returs referring to what years will we have to send?

One more question: at the time of my interview I received from the consulate the DS-3025 form. Now I see there's also this other form I-963. My medical examination was done in March 2010. What do I need to do? Just enclose a copy of the DS-3025 that I received? Or also the I-963?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Ciao Steabba,

let's start from where I feel more confident: the medical. If the Consulate in Napoli gave you the DS 3025, just check if the vaccinations are complete (there is a box that they check that says you have all the required shots). If- as I assume- they are complete, DO NOT bother sending the i-693. Just send out the DS3025 like I did- no RFE for me and green card approved! Just look for a decent Civil Surgeon you can go to in case you get an RFE.

For the affidavit. It looks like the assets she has can cover the poverty limit. She'll have to send updated bank statements(make sure she deleted all the transactions and leaves the total) and fill out the part of the form about personal assets. I think I would still get a co-sponsor, or maybe send the stuff in as is and see if you get an RFE. Maybe a more expert VJ member can correct me here?

As for the tax return, you have to send in the last 3. Remember since we are passed April 15th, the 2009 tax return is the most recent. So 2007, 2008, 2009. This is also for the co-sponsor, in case you get one. Oh, and if she gets a job by the time you file for AOS, send in a letter from her employer stating position and how much she earns.

When are you filing? Are you guys married already?

Good luck!

Edited by Vivi6

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My fiancee worked for the past two years while still in school.

Now she moved after graduation and doesn't have a job, but is looking for one. So at the moment she doesn't earn anything. Nonetheless, in her bank account she has more than 3 times the amount requested according to the poverty guidelines.

Do you guys think we need to find a co-sponsor for my AOS, or will her assets be ok although she basically has to cover the whole difference (0 - $14,570) with her assets?

Also, the tax returs referring to what years will we have to send?

One more question: at the time of my interview I received from the consulate the DS-3025 form. Now I see there's also this other form I-963. My medical examination was done in March 2010. What do I need to do? Just enclose a copy of the DS-3025 that I received? Or also the I-963?

For the I-864, 125% of the poverty line for a 2 person household is used, which is currently $18,212. In order to use assets she must have THREE times the required poverty line amount so $54,636 in her account. Please read the I-864 to confirm this under the section "assets" in the instructions.

for the medical the form you're talking about is the I-693. Please read the form instructions to learn more.

Also, there is an AOS thread in my signature which should help.

Good luck.

Timeline

For the I-864, 125% of the poverty line for a 2 person household is used, which is currently $18,212. In order to use assets she must have THREE times the required poverty line amount so $54,636 in her account. Please read the I-864 to confirm this under the section "assets" in the instructions.

for the medical the form you're talking about is the I-693. Please read the form instructions to learn more.

Also, there is an AOS thread in my signature which should help.

Good luck.

she has about $80,000 in her bank account. I think it is sufficient, but I don't know how the USCIS officer will consider the fact that she has no income. also, reading the instructions of the affidavit of support, it seems that you either earn 125% of the poverty guidelines so ($18,212) or you need to prove that you have assets for 3 times the poverty guidelines (and not 3 times 125% of the poverty guidelines). anyway, if I am not wrong, $80,000 is more than 3 times in both cases.

also, I am not sure she worked in 2007, so she may only have her tax returns referred to years 2008 and 2009. will this be a problem?

yeah, I was referring to I-693. I don't think I need it, but I'll make sure before I file.

Timeline

Ciao Steabba,

let's start from where I feel more confident: the medical. If the Consulate in Napoli gave you the DS 3025, just check if the vaccinations are complete (there is a box that they check that says you have all the required shots). If- as I assume- they are complete, DO NOT bother sending the i-693. Just send out the DS3025 like I did- no RFE for me and green card approved! Just look for a decent Civil Surgeon you can go to in case you get an RFE.

For the affidavit. It looks like the assets she has can cover the poverty limit. She'll have to send updated bank statements(make sure she deleted all the transactions and leaves the total) and fill out the part of the form about personal assets. I think I would still get a co-sponsor, or maybe send the stuff in as is and see if you get an RFE. Maybe a more expert VJ member can correct me here?

As for the tax return, you have to send in the last 3. Remember since we are passed April 15th, the 2009 tax return is the most recent. So 2007, 2008, 2009. This is also for the co-sponsor, in case you get one. Oh, and if she gets a job by the time you file for AOS, send in a letter from her employer stating position and how much she earns.

When are you filing? Are you guys married already?

Good luck!

ciao, no we didn't file yet because we are getting married in august, but I am trying to collect all the required forms/documents and not rush everything at the very last minute.

how long did it take to receive your green card?

but wait a second, sei italiano? I don't know if there are any policies about the language to use in the forum, in case I can give you my email.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

ciao, no we didn't file yet because we are getting married in august, but I am trying to collect all the required forms/documents and not rush everything at the very last minute.

how long did it take to receive your green card?

but wait a second, sei italiano? I don't know if there are any policies about the language to use in the forum, in case I can give you my email.

Yes yes, I am Italiana :) from Torino! Send me a message on my profile if you need more info about how I filed (Although Vanessa here always posts very valuable advice!). I filed on 03/23, my interview was on 06/17 and approved right away. I am expecting my actual green card in the mail, but I have work authorization and my travel documents so in the meantime I'm good. I guess overall a little over 3 months from the day I sent all the forms. It was very fast!

event.png

AOS Journey

Marriage: 2010-03-06

Date Filed: 2010-03-23

NOA: 2010-04-02 (via texts and emails)+check cashed

NOA1 in the mail: 2010-04-07

Bio Appointment letter: 04/29 (FINALLY!!!!)

Bio Appointment: scheduled 05/24, walk-in on 05/03, yay!

**Touch on AOS and EAD: 05/03 and 05/04

Interview notice: 05/14, dated 05/11. It's for 06/17

EAD and AP approved: 06/03

**Touch on EAD and AP: 06/04

**Touch on AP: 06/07

**Touch on EAD and 2nd card production ordered: 06/08

**Touch on EAD: 06/09

AP received: 06/09

**Touch on EAD: 06/11. 3rd approval email received!

EAD received: 06/11 step 2 of 3 completed!

Interview scheduled: 06/17 @ 915 am APPROVED and card production ordered same day!!!!

Welcome letter received:06/21

2nd email Green Card production ordered:06/22

**Touch on AOS:06/23

3rd email received, blue dot went to post decision: 06/30

Tik tok tik tok....GREEN CARD IN HAND: 07/02!!!!!Less than a year since filing for the k1!

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2009-08-12

I-129F NOA1: 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA2: 2009-10-29

Packet 3 Received: 2009-11-17

Interview: 2010-02-16, approved, visa the same day!

POE: 2010-03-03 @ LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.