Pennsylvania

I-134 Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good evening, everyone,

Now that our NOA-2 has been approved, my fiancee and I are working on everything necessary as soon as possible! From my side, I am working on the I-134 and have a few specific questions and would appreciate advice/guidance/insight. Our interview will be at the consulate in Kyiv, Ukraine.

1. Are photocopies of signed tax returns plus W-2 form preferable to IRS transcripts, or vice versa?

2. As I mentioned on this forum some time ago, my employment situation is somewhat unique. I will be frank about the situation so that I can receive the most accurate advice. I just graduated law school and am spending the summer studying for, and taking, the bar examination and consequently have no income at present. Prior to last summer, I lived at home and was largely supported by my parents, but earned a small amount of spending money every year, self-employed, doing genealogical work for hire. Last summer, between my second and third years of school, I worked for a major law firm and earned $30,000 for the summer's work. Beginning in September of this year, I will be employed by a federal judge as a one-year term law clerk at a salary of $57,000. Beginning in September 2011, I have guaranteed employment at a major law firm with a salary of $180,000. I also have about $3,000 in the bank and $1,000 or so in savings bonds.

My thought was that I would submit:

a. I-134 Affidavit of Support signed by me

b. Memorandum explaining this income situation

c. Signed letter on letterhead from U.S. Court concerning my employment from Sept 2010 - Sept 2011

d. Signed letter on letterhead from law firm concerning my employment beginning in Sept 2011

e. Income Tax Return + W-2 form (or IRS transcript? See Question 1) for 2009, 2008, and 2007 -- 2009 will show $30,000 income, above the guideline, but the two years before that will show the pittance I earned doing genealogical work.

f. Statement of Bank Assets

f. I-134 Affidavit as a co-sponsor from my mother, who has a consistent record of employment enough to support a family as well as real estate and bank assets (? Is this necessary?)

g. Birth certificate of my mother (? I read somewhere that this was necessary to prove that the co-sponsor is a U.S. citizen -- anything else for a co-sponsor)?

So, my question is: Are all of these necessary? Should I err on the side of caution and go for a co-sponsor? Are any of the items above definitely not needed? While I am excited about the possibility, I am worried, given the rapid pace of things, that our interview could occur during August, when I've planned a trip to Ukraine to visit with my fiancee, and that I will not yet have begun work for the U.S. Judge and that this might cause some problem with an interviewer.

Thanks for any and all help as we do everything we possibly can to make sure this goes well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We feel very blessed that our NOA-2 came in only 25 days and we don't want to do anything to screw up our good path so far.

10/18/2009 We became acquainted online

03/08/2010 First visit

03/10/2010 First "I Love You"

03/15/2010 First sad return home

04/20/2010 We decided to get married

05/11/2010 Sent I-129F package

05/13/2010 Package received by VSC (mail receipt)

05/23/2010 NOA-1

05/24/2010 Check Cashed by VSC

06/17/2010 NOA-2!!!!

08/01/2010 Second visit

08/??/2010 Formal engagement

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

have you read the instructions in the information packet available on the Kiev website? If not then you may wish to. It explains what they are interested in...

moving to consulate forum as I-134 type questions are best asked there

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good evening, everyone,

Now that our NOA-2 has been approved, my fiancee and I are working on everything necessary as soon as possible! From my side, I am working on the I-134 and have a few specific questions and would appreciate advice/guidance/insight. Our interview will be at the consulate in Kyiv, Ukraine.

1. Are photocopies of signed tax returns plus W-2 form preferable to IRS transcripts, or vice versa?

2. As I mentioned on this forum some time ago, my employment situation is somewhat unique. I will be frank about the situation so that I can receive the most accurate advice. I just graduated law school and am spending the summer studying for, and taking, the bar examination and consequently have no income at present. Prior to last summer, I lived at home and was largely supported by my parents, but earned a small amount of spending money every year, self-employed, doing genealogical work for hire. Last summer, between my second and third years of school, I worked for a major law firm and earned $30,000 for the summer's work. Beginning in September of this year, I will be employed by a federal judge as a one-year term law clerk at a salary of $57,000. Beginning in September 2011, I have guaranteed employment at a major law firm with a salary of $180,000. I also have about $3,000 in the bank and $1,000 or so in savings bonds.

My thought was that I would submit:

a. I-134 Affidavit of Support signed by me

b. Memorandum explaining this income situation

c. Signed letter on letterhead from U.S. Court concerning my employment from Sept 2010 - Sept 2011

d. Signed letter on letterhead from law firm concerning my employment beginning in Sept 2011

e. Income Tax Return + W-2 form (or IRS transcript? See Question 1) for 2009, 2008, and 2007 -- 2009 will show $30,000 income, above the guideline, but the two years before that will show the pittance I earned doing genealogical work.

f. Statement of Bank Assets

f. I-134 Affidavit as a co-sponsor from my mother, who has a consistent record of employment enough to support a family as well as real estate and bank assets (? Is this necessary?)

g. Birth certificate of my mother (? I read somewhere that this was necessary to prove that the co-sponsor is a U.S. citizen -- anything else for a co-sponsor)?

So, my question is: Are all of these necessary? Should I err on the side of caution and go for a co-sponsor? Are any of the items above definitely not needed? While I am excited about the possibility, I am worried, given the rapid pace of things, that our interview could occur during August, when I've planned a trip to Ukraine to visit with my fiancee, and that I will not yet have begun work for the U.S. Judge and that this might cause some problem with an interviewer.

Thanks for any and all help as we do everything we possibly can to make sure this goes well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We feel very blessed that our NOA-2 came in only 25 days and we don't want to do anything to screw up our good path so far.

1) I think IRS tax transcripts are preferred because they contain all the information the Embassy/Consulate wants without providing additiobnal documents. Another member will say they opposite.

2) "a, b" and "c" are OK. "d" is useless. See answer 1 for "e".

"f(1)" you have two items lettered "f." "f(1)" is useless. "f(2)" is a good idea since you have no current income and no pay stubs to document current income which is the main question here. Just current income for joint sponsor's I-134 if she meets 125% of the poverty threshold for her household size plus your fiance(e).

For "f(2)," the I-134 for joint sponsor, yes for "g," she needs birth certificate, a few months of pay stubs if they show Year to Date income, and also three years of her income tax transcripts or 1040s plus W-2s and 1099s.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

1) I think IRS tax transcripts are preferred because they contain all the information the Embassy/Consulate wants without providing additiobnal documents. Another member will say they opposite.

Really? Which one? :whistle:

I think transcripts are preferred because they come from the IRS, and show the figures that were actually submitted with a tax return and recorded by the IRS. Anyone can download a 1040 form and write pretty much anything they like on it. You can also download blank W2's and write anything you like on them. Transcripts are slightly more trustworthy.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Really? Which one? :whistle:

I think transcripts are preferred because they come from the IRS, and show the figures that were actually submitted with a tax return and recorded by the IRS. Anyone can download a 1040 form and write pretty much anything they like on it. You can also download blank W2's and write anything you like on them. Transcripts are slightly more trustworthy.

People have had problems using 1040's because they fail to include ALL filed forms (1040 form, ALL attached schedules and W-2's). I have heard of no problems when people follow the instructions and provide what is needed. It is only when they try to shortcut.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. Makes no difference whatsoever. I used photocopies of returns and w-2s. One year is sufficient.

2. None of what you mention matters except a co-sponsor. They could not possibly care less about offers of future employment. If your CURRENT income is not sufficient on the day of the interview, you need a co-sponsor.

3. Your co-sponsor needs to submit an I-134, proof of income, tax return AND proof of US citizenship or permanent residency

People have had problems using 1040's because they fail to include ALL filed forms (1040 form, ALL attached schedules and W-2's). I have heard of no problems when people follow the instructions and provide what is needed. It is only when they try to shortcut.

:thumbs: When presented PROPERLY it makes no difference at all. None.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.