MJhawk

Approved interview but I have questions re: drivers license, etc

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen that got married to an US citizen we had our adjustment of status interview a few weeks ago and we were approved :D My questions are: do I have to give up my Canadian drivers license? Do I just have to go to the passport office in Ontario to change my maiden name to my married last name? Do you have any other suugestions?? I'm going back home to Canada in July so that will be the time for me to change everything. Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know about the driver's license but you have to reapply for your passport anytime you want to change your name on it. Annoying but true.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

Here are some useful links...

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=04411 "Can I apply for a passport in my married surname?"

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=04413 "Can I add my married surname to my passport?"

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen that got married to an US citizen we had our adjustment of status interview a few weeks ago and we were approved :D My questions are: do I have to give up my Canadian drivers license? Do I just have to go to the passport office in Ontario to change my maiden name to my married last name? Do you have any other suugestions?? I'm going back home to Canada in July so that will be the time for me to change everything. Thanks

Not sure how you can keep a Canadian license with a US address but I suppose if you don't give them a change of address.... :blush: Keep in mind that some states will take your Canadian license once you are issued your US one. In NJ they didn't take mine so I just let it expire.

You will need to apply for a new passport to have the name changed and you will need ID in your new name to do that.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You should also note that in some states it is ILLEGAL to have DUAL licenses.

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Timeline

You should also check into your State's requirements about Driver's Licenses. Some require you to obtain a State DL within 30 days of residency if you intend to drive in the State. If your state is one of these and you are stopped while driving on your Canadian license but have a US address you may find yourself with a bit of a problem.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, check with your state, as they all differ!! Virginia took my NS DL. Some will simply hand over a new DL for that State, While others will make you write a test and some will make you write a test AND take an actual in car drivers test!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe that most states require that you have their driver's license and a Canadian one will not be acceptable to them. As others have stated, I don't think it's possible to have both(at least legal). I have a friend that married an American and had 2 licenses. When he went to renew his Canadian one his wife was with him and when the lady asked if he had any other licenses he said, "No." But, then his wife said, "Yes you do, you have your California license." The women promptly took his Canadian license and that was the end of that. So, I suggest getting an American license and if you want to keep your Canadian one, make sure not to tell them you have two.

Hope that helps.

AOS Timeline

06-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

07-07-2010 Check Cashed $1010 Ugh!

07-09-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

07-14-2010 Biometrics appointment letter received

07-14-2010 RFE (I-864)

07-22-2010 Biometrics appointment

08-20-2010 Submitted RFE Reply I-864

08-24-2010 RFE material received

08-26-2010 Email from USCIS EAD Card Approved

09-03-2010 EAD card received!!!

09-08-2010 Notification of interview date (Oct 12th, 2010)

10-12-2010 Interview-Approved!!!!!

10-26-2010 Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!

No USCIS till 2012. Wohoooooo

I got to keep my Ontario one, but they punched a hole in it.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

I was able to keep my ontario one as well. no hole or anything they let me keep it completely intact. However it was just renewed and i have to send it back if i want my 50$ back lol.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was able to keep my ontario one as well. no hole or anything they let me keep it completely intact. However it was just renewed and i have to send it back if i want my 50$ back lol.

I think they kept mine and punched holes in it. Of course this was a long time ago when I got my licence from the little booth they had in the center of the local shopping mall. Oh how things used to be so easy that every mall had small DMV kiosks that there was no line ups for and getting a licence was as simple as handing over your old one, them giving you a simple eye test and then you showing something that had your name and current address on it like a bill statement and 10 mins later, your new licence...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi MJHawk,

Congrats again on your Green Card approval (lol...it looks like the visitor to aos thing does work after all....)!

I posted this before on other VJ threads, but I thought it can help you here too...

As for moving, from Canada to the USA (I've been here in the USA since 2006), I did the following:

I notified:

-Revenue Canada and Elections Canada (with the "final tax return" in 2007, to prevent tax fraud and to officially notify the Canadian government that I'm not living in Canada anymore, and had to cancel and return those GST cheques I'm not entitled to and would be in trouble for keeping such)

-Passport Canada (when they added a married name notation to my maiden name passport in 2007, they don't do that anymore)

-Passport Canada again (when I applied for a new passport recently in my married name in 2009) (Note: To have a passport in your new married name, you have to apply all over again for a new passport...Lol...another $100 to spend....)

-I closed my Canadian bank account in Canada (2007)

-I let someone in Canada collect my personal mail for me, and then notified those people by mail that I moved (2006-Present)

-Family, friends, and other acquaintances that I keep in contact with (2006-Present)

-The Office of the Attorney General (optional...but this was after I received the forwarded jury duty notice in 2009....I had no choice there but to tell them that I moved and that I couldn't serve on a Canadian jury)

I didn't notify:

-Social Insurance (Human Resources Canada, I think) as I wouldn't be working in Canada anymore and wouldn't need a new card.

-OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance) as my card already expired and I can't use it here, so I never renewed it.

-MTO (Ministry of Transportation Ontario) as my license was automatically transfered, surrendered, and destroyed here by the DMV in NYS. Note: You cannot have 2 driver's licenses at the same time (at least that's the way it is here in NYS), so you would either have to pick between the American one or the Canadian one to keep.

Anyone else in Canada I need to notify, I can't think of, and haven't done such.

As well, last year I moved within the USA, between my 10yr green card stage and Citizenship stage, and filed the following with the USCIS...

-AR-11: Alien change of address form

-I-865: Sponsor change of address form (which my husband filed)

Hope this helps. Happy Travels back to Canada! Good luck on the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.