Ms. Haywood

Health Care...can I get it?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am completely clueless...

I've got my interview in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed!) and my Fiance's parents have brought up the issue of health care.

I was planning on getting traveler's insurance for the first few months while I settle in, but after that is a mystery. I have no idea

how to navigate the Health care system down there. Am I able to get Health Insurance from an American company if I'm not a citizen or a

permenant resident? He does not get Health care with his job. Any experiences/opinions greatly appreciated! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Be careful about travellers insurance; you are not a traveller, you are an immigrant,and the insurance may refuse any claim you make.

In terms of employer insurance- yes, if you find a job with healthcare, you can be insured as normal, or you can pay your own private health insurance- you will be a permanent resident, why do you think you won't be?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I did a quick internet search and found numerous companies that provide health care coverage for immigrants. However I would caution that research should be conducted prior to engaging in any services with them. This will require some work into the providers to find out which are the real deal and which are bogus.

I found a few that provide mini-plans that cover emergency services. It's worth looking into but like I metnioned - be cautious. Find out if there is an International Institute in the city you will be immigrating to. They may be able to provide some advice.

International Institute of Erie

This is a link to the International Institute of Erie (where I live). I have found them to be a very wonderful organization and very helpful when we have questions. We didn't need help with insurance but they may be able to help you find a contact in your city that can provide some assistance or references.

Not sure it will help but it may be worth a phone call to ask for advice!

I did a quick internet search and found numerous companies that provide health care coverage for immigrants. However I would caution that research should be conducted prior to engaging in any services with them. This will require some work into the providers to find out which are the real deal and which are bogus.

I found a few that provide mini-plans that cover emergency services. It's worth looking into but like I metnioned - be cautious. Find out if there is an International Institute in the city you will be immigrating to. They may be able to provide some advice.

International Institute of Erie

This is a link to the International Institute of Erie (where I live). I have found them to be a very wonderful organization and very helpful when we have questions. We didn't need help with insurance but they may be able to help you find a contact in your city that can provide some assistance or references.

Not sure it will help but it may be worth a phone call to ask for advice!

Sorry but just curious - what city will you be coming too?

Please fill in your timeline!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure the site out. I'm not really forum savy. :wacko:

I'm from Vancouver, and I'll be going to Philadelphia. I'm just concerned about the period of time when I'm not allowed to work- so I can't get Health care that way.

Will I be considered an immigrant if I am entering and under a K1 visa for the first few months? Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I wasn't aware of this.

Really appreciate the feedback, and I'll get to work on my timeline :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.