Usui Takumi

Films and Race / Culture rant

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you don't bother with mainstream movies, the casting issues are less controversial - and is one of the many reasons I like indie movies - added to which a lot of casting is based on talent as apposed to looks. Scary, I know ;)

It has more to do with indie movies not having the funding to get big name actors. Unknown actors also have more of a snob appeal for those who regularly pan the blockbuster movies.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It has more to do with indie movies not having the funding to get big name actors. Unknown actors also have more of a snob appeal for those who regularly pan the blockbuster movies.

Actually, it has more to do with indie movies having less interference in the making of the movie by studio executives.

The guy in the movie was kinda weird-looking - like a black Yul Brynner.

Actually, a lot of 'big name actors' make indie films - at least any of them that actually have acting talent, which is not a few. Indie films typically have a good plot line, excellent cinematography and dialogue. You may think it's 'snob' appeal, but that nicely illustrates that you haven't seen any.

I rather fancy that many 'big name' actors take on mass appeal roles in order to earn the big bucks, but take on the indie roles to satisfy their yearning to act ;) That also explains those who turn to stage acting on a regular basis. Who knew?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

The problem with indie movies is that they lack exposure - really relies on individuals knowing about them and seeking them out. A lot of the time those films are out there for years waiting for theatrical distribution or only get very limited theatrical runs (because the big studios buy out all the theatre screenings for their films).

Timeline

Actually, a lot of 'big name actors' make indie films - at least any of them that actually have acting talent, which is not a few. Indie films typically have a good plot line, excellent cinematography and dialogue. You may think it's 'snob' appeal, but that nicely illustrates that you haven't seen any.

I rather fancy that many 'big name' actors take on mass appeal roles in order to earn the big bucks, but take on the indie roles to satisfy their yearning to act ;) That also explains those who turn to stage acting on a regular basis. Who knew?

I know there are some big name actors that do indie movies which pretty takes away the appeal of fresh talent you claimed earlier. There's no superior anything in an indie movie as a student movie is indie too by definition. I've seen plenty of movies and to claim I haven't seen any indie movies marks you as the film snob I pegged you as. I saw all the movies in bold. How about you?

To claim actors act better in indie movies or that they aren't acting in bigger movies is baseless. Know of any recent big names headed back to the stage lately?

Monty Python's Life Of Brian

Clerks

The Terminator

Donnie Darko

Reservoir Dogs

Mean Streets

Sideways

The Usual Suspects

Sex, Lies, And Videotape

Night of the Living Dead

Blood Simple

Stranger Than Paradise

Memento

Eraserhead

Bad Taste

Slacker

Lone Star

Withnail And I

City of God

She's Gotta Have It

Drugstore Cowboy

Happiness

The Evil Dead

Nosferatu

Roger And Me

Sweet Sweetback Baadassss'...

Bad Lieutenant

In The Company Of Men

Dark Star

Lost in Translation

THX-1138

The Blair Witch Project

Shallow Grave

Two Lane Blacktop

Pink Flamingos

The Descent

The Passion Of The Christ

Grosse Point Blank

Being John Malkovich

Buffalo '66

Mad Max

Amores Perros

Shadows

Swingers

Dead Man's Shoes

El Mariachi

Run Lola Run

Cube

Blood Feast

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

http://www.empireonline.com/features/50greatestindependent/default.asp#50independent

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Timeline

The problem with indie movies is that they lack exposure - really relies on individuals knowing about them and seeking them out. A lot of the time those films are out there for years waiting for theatrical distribution or only get very limited theatrical runs (because the big studios buy out all the theatre screenings for their films).

Yeah, the initial release may be limited but lower budget movies that are good can create some buzz. Wasn't that the case with the Hurt Locker? If's there money to be made, you'll find people willing to throw money at you for your next movie. Peter Jackson made schlock horror movies til he moved into the big league. The movies that take years to release are usually ####### that the studios now push off to DVD release.

"If you live in France, for instance, and you have written one good book, or painted one good picture, or directed one outstanding film fifty years ago and nothing else since, you are still recognized and honored accordingly. People take their hats off to you and call you "maître". They do not forget. In Hollywood—in Hollywood, you're as good as your last picture. If you didn't have one in production within the last three months, you're forgotten, no matter what you have achieved ere this."

-Erich von Stroheim

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

I know there are some big name actors that do indie movies which pretty takes away the appeal of fresh talent you claimed earlier. There's no superior anything in an indie movie as a student movie is indie too by definition. I've seen plenty of movies and to claim I haven't seen any indie movies marks you as the film snob I pegged you as. I saw all the movies in bold. How about you?

To claim actors act better in indie movies or that they aren't acting in bigger movies is baseless. Know of any recent big names headed back to the stage lately?

Monty Python's Life Of Brian

Clerks

The Terminator

Donnie Darko

Reservoir Dogs

Mean Streets

Sideways

The Usual Suspects

Sex, Lies, And Videotape

Night of the Living Dead

Blood Simple

Stranger Than Paradise

Memento

Eraserhead

Bad Taste

Slacker

Lone Star

Withnail And I

City of God

She's Gotta Have It

Drugstore Cowboy

Happiness

The Evil Dead

Nosferatu

Roger And Me

Sweet Sweetback Baadassss'...

Bad Lieutenant

In The Company Of Men

Dark Star

Lost in Translation

THX-1138

The Blair Witch Project

Shallow Grave

Two Lane Blacktop

Pink Flamingos

The Descent

The Passion Of The Christ

Grosse Point Blank

Being John Malkovich

Buffalo '66

Mad Max

Amores Perros

Shadows

Swingers

Dead Man's Shoes

El Mariachi

Run Lola Run

Cube

Blood Feast

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

http://www.empireonl...p#50independent

As usual your comments make no sense whatsoever. I never made any claims about 'fresh talent' in indie movies, I said casting was based on talent, not box office appeal.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I also did not make any claims that actors acted better in indie films, I said that as a rule greater emphasis is placed on plot, dialogue and cinematography. As to whether you think my attitude to films is snobby or not, that has no relevance to anything.

Timeline

Yeah, the initial release may be limited but lower budget movies that are good can create some buzz. Wasn't that the case with the Hurt Locker? If's there money to be made, you'll find people willing to throw money at you for your next movie. Peter Jackson made schlock horror movies til he moved into the big league. The movies that take years to release are usually ####### that the studios now push off to DVD release.

"If you live in France, for instance, and you have written one good book, or painted one good picture, or directed one outstanding film fifty years ago and nothing else since, you are still recognized and honored accordingly. People take their hats off to you and call you "maître". They do not forget. In Hollywood—in Hollywood, you're as good as your last picture. If you didn't have one in production within the last three months, you're forgotten, no matter what you have achieved ere this."

-Erich von Stroheim

That isn't really true. It is to do with marketing - the studios are interested in whether an indie film will, in their opinion, generate a sufficient return on their investment for buying the distribution rights and whether they want to devote time and advertising space (theatrical exhibition is essentially advertising) which may conflict with that of their own films.

The reason we have limited releases is because say Sony Pictures (which I think actually owns its own theater chain) buys X amount of exhibition space to show Spiderman 4; and competitor Fox buys Y amount of exhibition space to show Avatar 2 - for example.

It's also why release dates for big budget films change - and a film like Slumdog Millionaire is released at the start of the year and not during the Summer.

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You can't cast some unknown Persian actor in the title role of a summer blockbuster.

You can, for the Persian Audiences. Oh wait - prolly not be a summer blockbuster in the USA, but - that's a different audience, ya?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I'm a bit concerned at Hollywood casting British actors as mad Germans ...

mm.jpg

Laurence Olivier in Marathon Man

die_hard2.jpg

Alan Rickman in Die Hard

18816451.jpg

Jeremy Irons in Die Hard With A Vengeance

... to name but a few. I mean, can't you Americans forgive us Brits, more than 200 years after the War of Independence? :hehe:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png