Darnell

NetFlix through WII

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Please excuse the lack of appropriate terminology...

I believe you can add to the "watch now" queue on your computer, and be able to actually watch that on your gaming console.

We were able to watch the TV series "Farscape" after it was added to that queue, even though it was not in the predetermined list of shows/movies available when we first loaded up the Wii's Netflix application.

I don't recall the limit on that queue size, but it's entirely possible you can add a bunch of stuff and just pick and choose.

Now, if only we could afford to get a media center up and going (like Mythbuntu).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Please excuse the lack of appropriate terminology...

I believe you can add to the "watch now" queue on your computer, and be able to actually watch that on your gaming console.

We were able to watch the TV series "Farscape" after it was added to that queue, even though it was not in the predetermined list of shows/movies available when we first loaded up the Wii's Netflix application.

I don't recall the limit on that queue size, but it's entirely possible you can add a bunch of stuff and just pick and choose.

Now, if only we could afford to get a media center up and going (like Mythbuntu).

The devices that allow you to connect to Netflix all seem to have only a limited view of the titles that are available to stream. The best way is, as you said, to browse their collection from a PC and add titles to your instant queue that way.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ordinary people are already able to create real TV programs. The problem is, ordinary people aren't capable of creating a professionally scripted, edited, and produced TV show or movie. The networks are not scared of YouTube. Streaming video doesn't threaten the traditional networks, it opens up new possibilities to them.

true, real people can't do it as well as the professionals, but they can try and if they are even slightly good at it, it will draw attention so they could get some backers and a whole new thing could blossom. probably will be some producers, actors, directors, writers and more that get noticed on these new channels.. i think the possibilites are huge.... limitless really. someone could start a computer repair channel (will be a ton of them) or i could tutor/share things i know or my friend who loves sports could create a sports show or someone that loves to cook could start a cooking show or someone that makes wedding dress could start a dress making show.... limitless! these shows might not be very professional, but if the person has the right personality, he/she gets some backing and the show grows and suddenly other outlet are playing. just limitless. the next jay leno, oprah, johnny carson, jesse gethimselfinbigtrouble james will come from one of these channels/shows. watch out!

The devices that allow you to connect to Netflix all seem to have only a limited view of the titles that are available to stream. The best way is, as you said, to browse their collection from a PC and add titles to your instant queue that way.

this is what i do.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Timeline

true, real people can't do it as well as the professionals, but they can try and if they are even slightly good at it, it will draw attention so they could get some backers and a whole new thing could blossom. probably will be some producers, actors, directors, writers and more that get noticed on these new channels.. i think the possibilites are huge.... limitless really. someone could start a computer repair channel (will be a ton of them) or i could tutor/share things i know or my friend who loves sports could create a sports show or someone that loves to cook could start a cooking show or someone that makes wedding dress could start a dress making show.... limitless!

It is true that the networks will need to adapt to the changing landscape, and I think they are aware. However, speaking from personal experience, the larger traditional TV networks are very slow to adopt new technology. This is both a good and a bad thing. Hulu is a good start though.

these shows might not be very professional, but if the person has the right personality, he/she gets some backing and the show grows and suddenly other outlet are playing. just limitless. the next jay leno, oprah, johnny carson, jesse gethimselfinbigtrouble james will come from one of these channels/shows. watch out!

Agreed. In fact, one of my favorite TV shows falls into this category - one that started out with a good idea, some talented individuals, little experience, and a demo shot with a hand camera. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Edited by rsn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, totally forgot that I could queue up a list on the pc, have it stream to the WII.

Found me some FireFly !!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've got 54 movies in my instant queue so it saves a lot of selections. I already cut back from $20/month for 3 mail unlimited rentals/month to $10 for one unlimited/mon. The way I see it I got more movies to watch for less money.

Quite a few documentaries in my queue that I wouldn't watch normally.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've got 54 movies in my instant queue so it saves a lot of selections. I already cut back from $20/month for 3 mail unlimited rentals/month to $10 for one unlimited/mon. The way I see it I got more movies to watch for less money.

Quite a few documentaries in my queue that I wouldn't watch normally.

Are you able to get local channels on your TV?

Timeline

i just have to say that these channels are the ones i hate the most. i really hate with a capital H local news and i hate when they constantly have those 15 second pieces "coming up at 5pm... blah blah blah.... then in the evening... coming up at 11pm." my ears and head and mind can only take this sh$t but just a little bit. as i've said many times, i've not had anything other than netflix in 2 years (maybe more). i prefer reading online news then i get to skip the ####### and keep them from cramming trivial BS into my head. i really could care less about a tree the fell during a rain storm... really! i could care less about flooded roads or car accidents or the heart wrenching store about one old lady or one handicap person that will lose benefits if the budget is cut.... just don't want to hear it.

local news $ucks!

Timeline

Depends on the weather. The antenna is on the TV. Get CBS most of the time but the others are unreliable. About 40% of the channels are in Spanish which freaked my wife out because she assumed all of them would be in English.

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Timeline

i just have to say that these channels are the ones i hate the most. i really hate with a capital H local news and i hate when they constantly have those 15 second pieces "coming up at 5pm... blah blah blah.... then in the evening... coming up at 11pm." my ears and head and mind can only take this sh$t but just a little bit. as i've said many times, i've not had anything other than netflix in 2 years (maybe more). i prefer reading online news then i get to skip the ####### and keep them from cramming trivial BS into my head. i really could care less about a tree the fell during a rain storm... really! i could care less about flooded roads or car accidents or the heart wrenching store about one old lady or one handicap person that will lose benefits if the budget is cut.... just don't want to hear it.

local news $ucks!

Completely agree. The local news in my area is painful to watch. I have never been able to sit through more than a couple minutes of amateur hour (what I call the news in our area). When we moved, I canceled cable and decided not to sign up for satellite either. We curently only get two channels with rabbit ears, so 99% of our TV viewing is Netflix. We may get an aeriel antenna later so I can watch some of the newer shows before they get to Netflix, but it's not high on the priority list.

Timeline

We curently only get two channels with rabbit ears, so 99% of our TV viewing is Netflix. We may get an aeriel antenna later so I can watch some of the newer shows before they get to Netflix, but it's not high on the priority list.

Bingo. Same with us. There's plenty of movies I've bever seen so I don't feel the need to see the newest movies which runs counter to most people who only watch new movies and rarely watch anything older especially if it's in black/white.

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Completely agree. The local news in my area is painful to watch. I have never been able to sit through more than a couple minutes of amateur hour (what I call the news in our area). When we moved, I canceled cable and decided not to sign up for satellite either. We curently only get two channels with rabbit ears, so 99% of our TV viewing is Netflix. We may get an aeriel antenna later so I can watch some of the newer shows before they get to Netflix, but it's not high on the priority list.

The major networks still provide national news and the local public station usually carries the kind of quality programming that public television is known for. Also, the networks have some pretty decent shows. I like the idea that we are shifting over to an on-demand format for viewing but I think a lot of great programming will not be viewed unless someone stumbles upon it while channel surfing. It'll be interesting how this will all play out over the next decade.

Edited by El Buscador

Timeline

The major networks still provide national news and the local public station usually carries the kind of quality programming that public television is known for. Also, the networks have some pretty decent shows. I like the idea that we are shifting over to an on-demand format for viewing but I think a lot of great programming will not be viewed unless someone stumbles upon it while channel surfing. It'll be interesting how this will all play out over the next decade.

i agree that the programming can be good, however there is no way to watch without hearing local news idiots (coming up at 5/11). i know, i could use a dvr and other things so i don't hear any local news at all, but that requires constant remote fiddling and i also hate looking for the remote. just not worth it to me and i save a heck of a lot of money!

news personalities tick me off too... anchors and those on the scene are always pretty little young bimbos.... before on air, they sit in the van waiting to do their 2 minutes beside the fallen tree. same $hit goes on in cable news so for all the reasons i hate local news, i also hate cable news.

LOL, i'll leave this thread alone... i think i've made me (british) point.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Now I'm looking for some of Jonny Vegas' sitcoms... mmmmmmmmmmm

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !