CanadaGirl

Building Credit

34 posts in this topic

YOu know what sucks? They kept on sending me visa offers every single day. Once i applied for one, it took them months to approve. Im still waiting for one right now.

Canadian came into United States as a visitor

11.01.05 - sent out i-765, i-485, i-130

11.16.05 - rec'd NOAs

12.27.05 - rec'd an appointment for AOS biometrics

01.02.06 - rec'd an appointment for biometrics

01.04.06 - completed biometrics & fingerprints for both AOS and EAD

01.10.06 - *touch*

01.12.06 - ead approved!!!

01.17.06 - ead card rec'd

01.18.06 - applied for ssn

01.27.06 - rec'd ssn

03.24.06 - rec'd interview date for May 02!!

05.02.06 - AOS APPROVED!!!

05-06.06 - rec'd Welcome Letter

05-12-06 - GREENCARD rec'd.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I added my husband to my credit cards even before he arrived in the US. About two months after he was here he started getting multiple credit card offers in the mail. He applied for one and had it a few weeks later. He is still getting credit card offers in the mail. I don't know what his credit score is, but it was good enough to get a credit card on his own with a temp job that he had had for a grand total of a week.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I can totally relate to the OP.

Couldnt even get cellphone without credit...

Secured credit cards are the way to go, I opened one with National City, had it since april, and I already have a great credit score in Experian... so it does work...

We're going to wait for next year to buy a house, and I havent tried getting another credit card. But I might do so soon.

It is SO frustrating, it's a long way, but eventually you'll be there...

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Recently my husband and I are considering buying a house together. But we're told that it's better if my name isn't put under the mortgage because I dont have any credit here. Yet my husband's parents said he can always add my name under the property later. Is that true? Besides, is it better if my husband can add my name into one of his bank accounts?

We were just too busy to think about this before... until I read this post I realise having a credit history seems so important here. :huh:

my husband did a 'quit claim deed' to get my name on the deed to our house...we had the lawyer arrange it so that both our names are on the deed.

Definition: A quit claim deed is a type of deed where a grantor, a person who owns an interest in a property, transfers all his interests to someone else. The grantor offers no guarantees about the title to the recipient, who is called the grantee.

This has already been covered in some depth in this thread.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22536

Please try to use the search in future.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Call MBNA and insist on speaking to a supervisor. Say you want to apply for a Visa card and have them check your Canadian credit history. It may take some doing but MBNA and AmEx have the capability to do this.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

I have a question.... with this talk of going joint with spouses cards etc to start building your own- well my SO has a pretty poor credit score due to reckless batchelor days- if I were to join with him and 'ride' his credit, would his score then become my own and make me have sucky credit also??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi. Since you are located in Florida, you may want to try contacting RBC Centura Bank if they have a branch near you. They are a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada with branches mainly in the southeastern US. They may be more willing to look at your Canadian credit.

10/24/2004 – Sent I-130 petition

11/22/2004 - I-130 1st NOA

01/25/2005 - I-130 Approved

02/26/2005 – Receive DS-3032

02/28/2005 – Receive I-864 Bill

03/04/2005 - DS-3032 form & I-864 payment Sent to NVC

04/04/2005 - Received IV Bill

04/05/2005 - Sent IV Payment

04/25/2005 - Received DS-230 from NVC

05/06/2005 – Sent DS-230 & I-864 to NVC

05/09/2005 - NVC Receives DS-230 & I-864

05/17/2005 - CASE COMPLETED

06/13/2005 - Interview Scheduled for July 29, 2005

07/29/2005 - Montreal Interview - APPROVED!!

08/03/2005 - Pembina, ND POE

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I never even thought about going to RBC. I didn't realize they were in Florida. Good idea and thanks to everyone else for your ideas.

lauraxmarie, you might want to be carefull riding your spouses bad credit. It could end up on your score however, I don't really know...just a guess.

dr_lha, sorry I didn't do a search first. Was just feeling really frustrated when I posted this and didn't even bother to look at other posts first.

Thanks again for the advice all

Terri

K3 Timeline

Oct. 12 2005 Applied for K3 (Day 1)

Jan. 9th 2006 Received packet 3 (Day 89)

Jan. 19th 2006 Sent back packet 3 (Day 99)

March 20th 2006 Received packet 4 (Day 159)

April 20th 2006 K3 Appointment in Montreal (Day 190)

April 21st 2006 Received K3 (Day 191)

April 22nd 2006 Arrived in Florida!!!!! (Day 192)

EAD Timeline

May 3rd 2006 Chicago receives my application (Day 1)

May 8th 2006 NOA received (Day 5)

May 22nd 2006 Biometrics appointment letter received (Day 19)

June 3rd 2006 Biometrics complete (Day 31)

June 13th 2006 EAD card received in Mail!!!!!!!!! (Day 41)

June 13th 2006 Applied for SSN (Day 41)

July 13th 2006 SSN card arrives in the mail (Day 71)

AOS Timeline

Oct. 30th 2006 Sent in our paperwork to Chicago (Day 1)

Nov. 11th 2006 NOA Received (Day 12)

Nov. 13th 2006 Touched (Day 14)

Nov. 18th 2006 Biometrics taken (Day 19)

Dec. 14th 2006 Case transferred to California (Day 45)

Dec. 31st 2006 File arrived in California (Day 62)

Jan. 20th 2007 Touched (Day 82)

May 8th 2007 Case trasnferred to National Benefits Center (Day 190)

May 16th 2007 Case arrived at National Benefits Center (Day 198)

Filed: Other Country: Cameroon
Timeline
I have a question.... with this talk of going joint with spouses cards etc to start building your own- well my SO has a pretty poor credit score due to reckless batchelor days- if I were to join with him and 'ride' his credit, would his score then become my own and make me have sucky credit also??

Not to offend you and the readers..However, is your SO at least aware of this type of message that you have left on this forum? At least your SO has done a very great thing for you, brought you in the USA. Appreciation comes before all of that credit that you desire so much and quickly!

Smile and be patient!

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Good question, if your SO has a bad payment history (i.e. more than 30 days late etc) on a particular card in the last 2 years, then you wouldn't want to be added to that card as an authorised user. It's not so much that you would obtain his score (because the score is made of several different factors including length of credit history etc). But it wouldn't help. Also, if a card is close to being maxed out, that is generally a negative factor. However, for someone with no other accounts being reported, it's better than nothing.

Not to offend you and the readers..However, is your SO at least aware of this type of message that you have left on this forum? At least your SO has done a very great thing for you, brought you in the USA. Appreciation comes before all of that credit that you desire so much and quickly!

Smile and be patient!

I don't consider lauraxmaries post to be offensive at all, nothing wrong with stating something that is true. The idea that bringing someone to the USA deserves some kind of super special appreciation is what seems a little nuts to me. What's to say that she didn't make great sacrifices to come here to the US?

Smile and be patient!

lol actually he didnt bring me here to the USA. I came on a B-1 visa before I even met him. And he then didnt marry me as a favour to keep me here. I would be rather living back in the UK- but I chose to give up my life there, including my friends and family to be here with him. Just because I state he has bad credit is not implying I dont love or appreciate him! Thats just crazy! I just wanted to know my situation.

Chill out.

Too bad, how some people can pass judgment really quick.

In your case I would try to build the credit myself if the US spouse credit is not so good, folks here have mentioned several ways to do that.

I added my wife to my credit card, turn my checking account into a joint account with both of our names printed on the checks.

Added her to the Mortgage

Now she starts to receive all kind of credit card offers in the mail, the most common one is Capital one they start you with a $350 credit with $39 annual fee.

Good luck!

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
Thanks so much for the support. I don't have a job yet however I just went to an interview on Friday that seemed very promising. My career field is Architecture so I really hope that my credit score means nothing when applying for a job in that field.

When I apply for any credit cards I just say I am self employed and our gross household income is under $30,000 (my husbands income).

I have heard of secured credit cards through my bank but they wanted $300 minimum to get one and I don't really have that kind of cash laying around so was looking for a cheaper option. I still have to pay to adjust my status in the next couple weeks.

My husband was preapproved for a home loan already but we really want my name on the mortgage too for immigration purposes and just so I can feel like I have something in my life lol. Also, I did work in my field for 1 year back home in Canada so maybe that will help.

I didn't know getting added to my husbands credit cards would help my credit score. He has excellent credit so that is good!!

I think I might try to get a JC Penny card or other department store too.

Also, I read somewhere that you can get a cosigner on a credit card however, whenever I see the applications I dont' see a spot for a cosigner.

Thanks again for the help and it's good to know everyone here goes through the same thing I do :)

How about a no-credit check car loan ? or do you already have a car

Dont know how I managed it but this shows what I got at USBank

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24339

can think of nothing extraordinary about my circumstances that made them offer me a cradit card :wacko:

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.