Favorite dish from SO's country

53 posts in this topic

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'll have to try it both ways again, but like I said it was more the look of it that I couldn't get past. :blush:

I know it doesn't look too friendly. :lol:

It does taste great though. Well, fresh molokhia does.. I never could like the dry one. :P

Aya

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

my favorite dish has got to be koshary... oh my goodness.. it is so good :luv: .. we went to that restaurant they had on no reservations.. it is sooooo good.. i tried to make it .. my husband said it was ok but NEVER make it again :rofl: .. does anyone know of any good koshary recipes... i got mine online somewhere.. thanks :thumbs:

Passage Revelation 19:11:

11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

"satan is real and he's playing for keeps
God is realer and we are His sheep
which side are you on, CHOOSE, start moving your feet
choose JESUS and have ETERNAL PEACE" by GOD to me on 9/26/10 about 2am
Thank you Jesus!!!!

Bebe and Cece Winans Heaven

Abdel Halim Hafez Qariat al Fingan

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

bamia is probaly my favorite...probably cuz i know how to make it.

his moms stuffed zucchini was really good too.

most of the stuff we ate there were things we would eat here in america like shiskabobs. he didnt really take me any place with the things you girls posted. guess he thought i might not like it.

we do get shanglish salad here at the restruants and i do love it. im a big onion person and it has plenty of them so im loving it. ive tried to make it here at home but just cant seam to get it right. its like my tomatoes are to juicy or something and it just makes a big sloppy mess.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

At first there things I liked and did not. I came to like many of the things I did not like before. But overall, I like the Bradja cookies, khoubz ifter, mahadjeb, the variety of fish/ seafood and the mechoui (grill) Other then that I really cook my own food. Not that I like dislike Algerian food, just prefer others more!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Molokheya_Makhrata.jpg

Aya, I had to use that tool when I was in Egypt last summer and the Aunts and dh's Mom wanted me to make the molokhia.

The bottom greener soup is the first time I made it with the fresh leaves in the garden for the molokhia.

NomNom.jpg

This is what molokhia looks like growing fresh in the garden.

IMG_5777.jpg

And this is what some dried leaves of molokhia looks like.

IMG_5794.jpg

The top lighter green soup is made with بامية. It looks like it is made with what we call okra here.

2_okra.jpg

Both soups are my favorite dish over there and I eat it with their homemade bread!

The bread is baked in this earth oven and using those round plates to bake them on and the long spatula tool to put them in and pull them out of their oven.

IMG_5809.jpg

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Olivia,

We tried the frozen molokhia a month ago. John loved it and our daughter liked it with rice, our son smelt it and said: "I'm ok with the rice, thank you." :lol:

The frozen molokhia brand we used was Montana, btw.

A week or so later we tried the bamia (I had to ask my mom for her recipe.), everybody loved it and the kids asked for more on their plates (that rarely does happen). I sent some to my grandparents-in-law that same. My grandmother-in-law called my the next day to tell me how to delicious it was and to ask me for the recipe.

As for the earth oven, I think these are rarely used anymore. In my parents' hometowns people use big metal ovens the give the same result instead.

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Aya,

My mother in law has one of those big metal ovens in the hallway of their building. For some strange reason the food tastes different than when they cook in their regular oven inside the flat. It tastes better cooked in the big metal oven. :)

Olivia,

We tried the frozen molokhia a month ago. John loved it and our daughter liked it with rice, our son smelt it and said: "I'm ok with the rice, thank you." :lol:

The frozen molokhia brand we used was Montana, btw.

A week or so later we tried the bamia (I had to ask my mom for her recipe.), everybody loved it and the kids asked for more on their plates (that rarely does happen). I sent some to my grandparents-in-law that same. My grandmother-in-law called my the next day to tell me how to delicious it was and to ask me for the recipe.

As for the earth oven, I think these are rarely used anymore. In my parents' hometowns people use big metal ovens the give the same result instead.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.