Jenn!

Favorite dish from SO's country

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Since my husband is the USC, it's really hard to say which 'American' dish/food is my favorite. We eat Italian and Middle Eastern food most of the time.

My Grandmother-in-law's Artichocke Salad

Artichoke%20Salad.jpg

My husband's Chicken Alfredo Pasta

chickenalfredo.jpg

My Husband's Shrimp Scampi

scampi_1_bg_011503.jpg

My Mother-in-law's Tuna Sandwiches (sounds silly, but she makes them different than the way we make them in Egypt)

464574561_573d0a6319.jpg

And my husband's Eggs and American Cheese Sandwich (Mmmmm)

20070522grilledcheese.jpg

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I know its not Egyptian but I totally crave Greek Salads without onions. Any middle eastern restaurant I eat at, my main dish is a greek salad!

Ditto!! I love love love Greek Salads!!

Aya

ROC Timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Since my husband is the USC, it's really hard to say which 'American' dish/food is my favorite. We eat Italian and Middle Eastern food most of the time.

My Grandmother-in-law's Artichocke Salad

Artichoke%20Salad.jpg

My Husband's Shrimp Scampi

scampi_1_bg_011503.jpg

drooling.gif

Timeline

drooling.gif

:lol:

ROC Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Your comment about the chicken with green peas reminded me of one of my other favorites - lahma bi pisella (meat with peas in tomato sauce). My favorite meat to use is veal but I've also made it with beef and lamb.

Zameta ;)

Seriously, my favorite is chicken or seafood bastilla. I also love shawarma. I like the way DH makes spaghetti (and almost anything else). I like my MIL's chicken with green peas. I love rafisa (a casserole of melwi torn into pieces with chicken and a sauce with fenugreek). And hariraaaaaaaaa - better start practicing that one again since we have it every single night during Ramadan.

RAFISA:

DSC00525.jpg

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Jenn, great subject to start. Everyone LOVES food.

Zatoona, that tajine with kofta and egg looks YUM! And Je Veux ton Amour, that's funny you mention lahma bi basilla I just made that two days ago (one of my favorites too).

As for all the food pics, they look wonderful and tasty looking, until people started to mention cinnamon in their dishes (just not a fan of cinnamon, raisins or sugar with any sort of meat). Actually my mother makes this Saudi dish called kabsa that EVERYONE ('cept me) just raves about. I was told by a palestinian friend though, that it's not supposed to have cinnamon in it, but my mama makes it with that. Anyhow it's looks like this:

post-55-1255257162.jpg

Some of MY favorites from my hubby's (and my mamas) country is molikhia (I like it with rice but hubby likes it with bread)

post_26327_1262059616_med.jpg

And bamia

bamia29042008a.jpg

Hmmm.....I'm hungry!

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm a fan of the b'stilla too but for making at home our current faves are the kofta and tomato tagine and also a tagine or gamila with meat, peas and artichoke hearts in a tomato-y sauce.

oh, and I found an awesome recipe for schwarma we've been shoveling a lot lately too.

my husband is a fantastic baker so we have lots of homemade moroccan bread.

I have never had that chicken and vermicelli dish but I think I am going to have to try it. soon. :whistle:

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh yum! Good thing I'm eating lunch right now (shawarma, one of my all time favorites). I love bamia! I don't make it nearly as much as I should. Ahly fan, I also make kabsa and add a little cinnamon to it. I love it with yellow raisins and nuts like in the pic you posted. I usually use almonds but the cashews look really good. I'll have to try that next time.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

402706313_cd6c631f9b.jpg

This is an alfajor de maizena - an Argentine specialty - it is basically a shortbread cookie sandwich filled with dulce de leche. My MIL makes them and they are TO DIE FOR. Just sayin'. :whistle:

Edited by Staashi

Timeline

402706313_cd6c631f9b.jpg

This is an alfajor de maizena - an Argentine specialty - it is basically a shortbread cookie sandwich filled with dulce de leche. My MIL makes them and they are TO DIE FOR. Just sayin'. :whistle:

oh. my. goodness.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

402706313_cd6c631f9b.jpg

This is an alfajor de maizena - an Argentine specialty - it is basically a shortbread cookie sandwich filled with dulce de leche. My MIL makes them and they are TO DIE FOR. Just sayin'. whistling.gif

'To die for' is not the right words for this, just sayin' innocent.gif Stacy, recipe por favor or where the heck can I get one of these?

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

@caybee:

Zameta (a.ka. sfouf) - bleh!

We had rafisa last weekend. I didn't know there was fenugreek in that. It probably wasn't in the one that MIL made because I didn't buy her any fenugreek! Speaking of fenugreek, I asked the pharmacist at CVS if they carried fenugreek and you would have thought that I have two heads.

We do have a couscoussiere that's been getting a lot of use lately. I still need to learn how to use it though!

The seffa can have chicken or not. When it has chicken it is seffa medfouna (buried), otherwise it's just seffa.

@staashi, wow that cookie looks the awesome!!!!

We had some msemmen last night. Now I understand why mine never came out right. You have to use tons of oil!

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

'To die for' is not the right words for this, just sayin' innocent.gif Stacy, recipe por favor or where the heck can I get one of these?

Alfajores de Maizena (Cornstarch cookies)

Ingredients

2½ cups cornstarch

1⅔ cups flour ½ teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

¾ cup sugar

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine

3 egg yolks

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

Grated lemon peel

Ingredients

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Sift the cornstarch with the flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.

Beat margarine and sugar, and add the egg yolks one at a time. Mix well.

Add dry ingredients a little at a time.

Add vanilla and lemon peel. Mix to form a stiff, elastic dough.

Stretch until the dough is about ½-inch thick over surface covered with flour.

Cut into circles using the rim of a drinking glass or a round cookie cutter and put the circles on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool.

Spread some dulce de leche on one cookie and sandwich with another cookie, and repeat with the rest of the cookies.

One other suggestion,as this cookie is alot of work, is my shortcut...

Buy a pack of the Keebler shortbread cookies and a jar of dulce de leche and spread a good dollop of caramel between the two cookies. Enjoy! Sometimes you can even roll them in coconut - they rock!

Timeline

Jenn, great subject to start. Everyone LOVES food.

Zatoona, that tajine with kofta and egg looks YUM! And Je Veux ton Amour, that's funny you mention lahma bi basilla I just made that two days ago (one of my favorites too).

As for all the food pics, they look wonderful and tasty looking, until people started to mention cinnamon in their dishes (just not a fan of cinnamon, raisins or sugar with any sort of meat). Actually my mother makes this Saudi dish called kabsa that EVERYONE ('cept me) just raves about. I was told by a palestinian friend though, that it's not supposed to have cinnamon in it, but my mama makes it with that. Anyhow it's looks like this:

post-55-1255257162.jpg

Some of MY favorites from my hubby's (and my mamas) country is molikhia (I like it with rice but hubby likes it with bread)

post_26327_1262059616_med.jpg

And bamia

bamia29042008a.jpg

Hmmm.....I'm hungry!

Yes, the kofta tajine was soooo good! So funny, I made bamiya (lahma bi bamiya) 2 nights ago! My fiance loves this dish! :)

moroccantea.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.