Jenn!

Favorite dish from SO's country

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have so many favorites and lately I've been on this koshari and zaalouk kick and neither of them are from Tunisia lol

My favorite Tunisian dishes are Tunisian Salade (also called Israeli salade at most MENA restaurants)

It's simple, fast and easy to make, and nothing beats it chilled on a hot summer day!

25492_107287385963386_100000463759227_189227_246760_n.jpg

salade mechwia which I could eat until I throw up lol

n558229306_769408_5087.jpg

and last on a cold winter day .. lablabi

n14583693093_448204_9411.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Some of MY favorites from my hubby's (and my mamas) country is molikhia (I like it with rice but hubby likes it with bread)

post_26327_1262059616_med.jpg

And bamia

bamia29042008a.jpg

Hmmm.....I'm hungry!

Ditto ya Sharifah!

I miss my mama's molokhia and bamia!! :cry:

The first few weeks I arrived here we went to a Middle Eastern/Pakistani store and I was THRILLED to find frozen molokhia there! We got three bags! First time I tried cooking it I found it uncut/unchopped!! It was so beyond repair... I don't understand how they can sell frozen with whole leaves like that :angry: I crave it every other day, anyone buys a certain brand of frozen molokhia they trust?

Aya

402706313_cd6c631f9b.jpg

This is an alfajor de maizena - an Argentine specialty - it is basically a shortbread cookie sandwich filled with dulce de leche. My MIL makes them and they are TO DIE FOR. Just sayin'. :whistle:

I want one!! :P

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Timeline

I had the tuna/tunisian salade yesterday for lunch. Yummy!!

Also, the salade mechwia looks delicious!! I'm going to have to try that!

Aya

Edited by Aya&John

ROC Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Aya,

I normally buy Sultan brand molokhia but have used others. Make sure it says "minced" on the package. I have also bought the unchopped kind and had to put it in the blender before serving. Did you thaw the package out before hand? I usually put it on a plate and microwave it for a couple minutes until it softens up a bit. Sultan also has frozen "ol-as" (colcasia) if you're interested. I've never made it myself but I'm curious to try.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

Aya,

I normally buy Sultan brand molokhia but have used others. Make sure it says "minced" on the package. I have also bought the unchopped kind and had to put it in the blender before serving. Did you thaw the package out before hand? I usually put it on a plate and microwave it for a couple minutes until it softens up a bit. Sultan also has frozen "ol-as" (colcasia) if you're interested. I've never made it myself but I'm curious to try.

I tried blending it in the blender, but it was too late. It was just a whole mess! I had to start dinner all over again and cook something different that night.

I don't like how the molokhia tastes when you blend it in the blender anyway! I always cut/chop it with this kind of knife, which I have not found in the US yet:

Molokheya_Makhrata.jpg

Do you order Sultan Molokhia online? I don't have much experience with dealing with international food stores yet...can they just order anything you want for you?

Egyptian "Ol-as" is one of my most dishes ever!! However you need "sal2" to cook it(don't know what you call that in English :blush:).. It a plant that looks kinda between Molokhia/Jute Plant and Parsley! Whenever I find out what it means in English, I'll let you know! :blush::P

Aya

ROC Timeline

Timeline

Aya,

No, I don't order it online, I buy it at the local Mid Eastern market. They don't always have Sultan available so I just look for any brand that has the word "minced" molokhia on it and I'm good. I've also found dried molokhia here but I'm too afraid to mess it up. I've never had anything ordered for me but it's worth a try to ask. Did you go to a Mid Eastern specific market or just an international market? I'll ask my husband what "sal2" is and I'll let you know, if he knows, lol.

Here's a link to a website that sells the Sultan molokhia. The price is reasonable for online. Here we pay $1.99 a pack.

http://parthenonfoods.net/Molukhia-Minced-Jews-Mellow-400g/M/B000LRKQ74.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Also, if you're a fan of "Molto" (chocolate filled croissants) like my husband they sell some very similar called "7 days" (I buy them at Target). I can't keep them in the house, lol. He'll polish off a whole bag in minutes.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

@caybee:

Zameta (a.ka. sfouf) - bleh!

Thought you'd like that one :D

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I want molokhiya now!

Because I'm bored, I'd figure I'd post a picture of last night's dinner I made. It's my favorite dish I make!

Lamb shank, boiling onions & carrots

Marinade: Various spices and herbs including orange juice, aged balsamic vinegar, fresh rosemary and time.

Yum!

My fiance ate this last night and he said it reminded him of a tajine in Morocco. As long as he likes it, I'm happy!

kharoofshank.jpg

moroccantea.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I loved chicken pastilla when I was in Morocco. I usually will make it once or twice a year for a special occasion. When in Essaouira, the favorite dish of my husband and myself was Crevette Pil Pil. It took us quite some time to find out that actually it is based on a Basque recipe. We have experimented over the past five years and have come close (but still slightly off). Basically, it is shrimp in a tomato/garlic/olive oil/hot pepper sauce. OMG...so good!

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I, too, usually get my minced molikhia at a local Middle Eastern store. I think the brand I buy is Montana? Can't remember exactly, but it's in a green package in the frozen area.

As for that tool, Aya, it's called a mezzaluna and I LOVE it. I was able to find one, that came with a cool cutting board, at the Mall of America at the Le Gourmet Chef store. Of course a week after buying it my mother told me I could have gotten it cheaper at Target, apparently she just saw one there by the brand Kitchenaid. Oh and I was looking through the Pampered Chef catalog recently and think I saw one in there too.

Je veux ton amour....hmm....chocolate filled croissants! Ahmed loves Molto (they are okay, but I much prefer them fresh better) but I haven't seen anything like that at our local Middle Eastern store. You mentioned '7Days' at Target? I was just at SuperTarget yesterday and I couldn't find them. Which area would they be in? Maybe our Target doesn't carry it sad.gif I would love to get these for the hubby if I could.

I haven't made ol'as as of yet. My mother makes it to PERFECTION (must be a masiheen thingtongue.gif ) so I haven't dared. I might have to try it sometime. My mom is out of the country currently but I will ask her what sal2 is in english when she returns since I don't even know what that isno0pb.gif

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

Ahlyfan,

They have the 7 Days near the bread/snack cake aisle in the food section at Target. I prefer fresh croissants with Nutella, personally. :) My husband likes to find little tastes of home whereever he can even if it's a snack cake. lol.

My mother in law makes ol as and it's delicious. I think the taste of the broth closely resembles molokhia. I guess it's the garlic and spices?

Timeline

Aya,

No, I don't order it online, I buy it at the local Mid Eastern market. They don't always have Sultan available so I just look for any brand that has the word "minced" molokhia on it and I'm good. I've also found dried molokhia here but I'm too afraid to mess it up. I've never had anything ordered for me but it's worth a try to ask. Did you go to a Mid Eastern specific market or just an international market? I'll ask my husband what "sal2" is and I'll let you know, if he knows, lol.

Here's a link to a website that sells the Sultan molokhia. The price is reasonable for online. Here we pay $1.99 a pack.

http://parthenonfoods.net/Molukhia-Minced-Jews-Mellow-400g/M/B000LRKQ74.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Also, if you're a fan of "Molto" (chocolate filled croissants) like my husband they sell some very similar called "7 days" (I buy them at Target). I can't keep them in the house, lol. He'll polish off a whole bag in minutes.

Thanks, je veux ton amour!!

Next time I buy frozen molokhia, I'll make sure it's minced. I also checked the website you provided, the price online is not bad.

I personally don't like dried molokhia. Nothing is like fresh GREEN molokhia! :)

I think every Egyptian has had molto in a phase of his/her life! :lol: I would defintely buy it if I found it! I am trying to watch what I eat these days though, I have gained a few pounds since I arrived here. That's what happens when you eat Italian food most of the time! :P

Aya

ROC Timeline

Timeline

I, too, usually get my minced molikhia at a local Middle Eastern store. I think the brand I buy is Montana? Can't remember exactly, but it's in a green package in the frozen area.

As for that tool, Aya, it's called a mezzaluna and I LOVE it. I was able to find one, that came with a cool cutting board, at the Mall of America at the Le Gourmet Chef store. Of course a week after buying it my mother told me I could have gotten it cheaper at Target, apparently she just saw one there by the brand Kitchenaid. Oh and I was looking through the Pampered Chef catalog recently and think I saw one in there too.

Je veux ton amour....hmm....chocolate filled croissants! Ahmed loves Molto (they are okay, but I much prefer them fresh better) but I haven't seen anything like that at our local Middle Eastern store. You mentioned '7Days' at Target? I was just at SuperTarget yesterday and I couldn't find them. Which area would they be in? Maybe our Target doesn't carry it sad.gif I would love to get these for the hubby if I could.

I haven't made ol'as as of yet. My mother makes it to PERFECTION (must be a masiheen thingtongue.gif ) so I haven't dared. I might have to try it sometime. My mom is out of the country currently but I will ask her what sal2 is in english when she returns since I don't even know what that isno0pb.gif

I tried Montana molokhia in Egypt and loved it!

Next time we shop for kitchen stuff, I'll make sure I buy a mezzaluna. I already have a stainless steel nice-looking one in Egypt. I was planning on bringing it back with me whenever we go visit, not sure if you can carry a knife in your luggage though.

Can't wait to have your mama's recipe of "ol-as"! I'm sure John will love it when he tries it! :)

Ahlyfan,

They have the 7 Days near the bread/snack cake aisle in the food section at Target. I prefer fresh croissants with Nutella, personally. :) My husband likes to find little tastes of home whereever he can even if it's a snack cake. lol.

My mother in law makes ol as and it's delicious. I think the taste of the broth closely resembles molokhia. I guess it's the garlic and spices?

Yep, garlic does most of the work to add that smell and taste to "ol-as". :)

Aya

Edited by Aya&John

ROC Timeline

Filed: Timeline

I had the tuna/tunisian salade yesterday for lunch. Yummy!!

Also, the salade mechwia looks delicious!! I'm going to have to try that!

Aya

It's da bomb :lol:

I'm guessing molokhia is the same all around? I tried to try it in Tunisia but I couldn't get past the look of it.. I did taste a bit and it was "ok" but the texture wasn't something I could handle, so now it's a big joke with the hubster lol

Timeline

It's da bomb :lol:

I'm guessing molokhia is the same all around? I tried to try it in Tunisia but I couldn't get past the look of it.. I did taste a bit and it was "ok" but the texture wasn't something I could handle, so now it's a big joke with the hubster lol

I think molokhia is cooked with dry leaves in Tunisia. Not sure though.

Dry leaves and fresh leaves have two entirely different tastes in molokhia.

Aya

ROC Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.