thevampirepandora

Affidavit of support, am I screwed?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a problem. I am a US Citizen and my fiancée is a British citizen. We have been together 3 years, with a well documented history of our relationship. We plan to immigrate him to the US via the CR-1 Visa. We are to be married in December, 2010. He is to come to the US on a tourist visa and he is to return to his country. We then plan on filing the CR-1 visa.

I am currently attending university and I have a part-time job. I am to graduate June 2011. Because I am in school I cannot have a full time job. I planned on continuing on to grad school but this is where the problem arises. My mother was going to co-sponsor my fiancée on the affidavit of support with me, but she got laid off. She is now on unemployment and is going to school, she will graduate June of 2011. Now there is no one to co-sponsor with me. I cannot get a full time job, my schedule doesn’t allow it and I most certainly will not drop out of University when I’m so close to graduating. It seems that there is no alternative to not going to grad school now.

If I apply for the CR-1 visa in February, how long would it be until I would have to turn in my affidavit of support? Is it possible to be approved if I started my full time job in June? The job I have now would allow me to go on full time then, but they need my last 3 year's taxes and I'm young I've only been working for about 2 years. I had been focusing on my studies. Will my age play a big role against me? What are my options? Please someone let me know what you think. Thank you.

Based on current timelines, you will most likely hit the AOS stage of the CR-1 by March or April. From what I read, you currently have a part-time job. Every little bit helps. As for your age, current plus three previous years tax returns are required. If required, you can use any assets you may have to include on the Affidavit of Support. Savings account balances, property, vehicles, etc.. My best advice would be to find another co-sponsor. It doesn't necessarily have to be family. Could be a friend, or anyoone else willing to co-sponsor your hubby.Good luck!

Edited by Filipinawife0210

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2010-06-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-19

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2010-08-03

NVC Received : 2010-08-10

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-08-17

Pay I-864 Bill 2010-09-01

Receive I-864 Package : 2010-09-18

Return Completed I-864 : 2010-09-21

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-09-25

Receive IV Bill : 2010-10-05

Pay IV Bill : 2010-10-06

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Any assets to be used?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I have a problem. I am a US Citizen and my fiancée is a British citizen. We have been together 3 years, with a well documented history of our relationship. We plan to immigrate him to the US via the CR-1 Visa. We are to be married in December, 2010. He is to come to the US on a tourist visa and he is to return to his country. We then plan on filing the CR-1 visa.

I am currently attending university and I have a part-time job. I am to graduate June 2011. Because I am in school I cannot have a full time job. I planned on continuing on to grad school but this is where the problem arises. My mother was going to co-sponsor my fiancée on the affidavit of support with me, but she got laid off. She is now on unemployment and is going to school, she will graduate June of 2011. Now there is no one to co-sponsor with me. I cannot get a full time job, my schedule doesn’t allow it and I most certainly will not drop out of University when I’m so close to graduating. It seems that there is no alternative to not going to grad school now.

If I apply for the CR-1 visa in February, how long would it be until I would have to turn in my affidavit of support? Is it possible to be approved if I started my full time job in June? The job I have now would allow me to go on full time then, but they need my last 3 year's taxes and I'm young I've only been working for about 2 years. I had been focusing on my studies. Will my age play a big role against me? What are my options? Please someone let me know what you think. Thank you.

If you file a petition (US Citizens don't apply for visas.) in February, your affidavit of support would probably be requested in June or July but you can delay responding to the request for up to a year without any penalty except delaying the visa process. They will ask for the income for 08,09 and 10 but you can send only one return. You need not qualify for any of those three years but must qualify based on "current income" when submitting the I-864 or have a qualified joint sponsor. The ultimate decision on qualification will actually be made a couple months later by a Consular officer.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks everyone for responding. I'm glad I still have time, hopefully I can find a co-sponsor. It's difficult considering that I only have one parent and all my friends are in college doing part-time jobs like me. I have one option maybe...we are friends with a couple who might be able to co-sponsor, but I was wondering if military people can co-sponsor? All I need is someone who earns enough for him/herself,whom ever they live with and my fiancee according to the national poverty guideline right?

is it a sure thing that I can postpone the AOS for up to 8 months? that would give me enough time to have a full time job, and my mum would probably have a full-time job by then too.

oh and as for my assets I only have a car and I'm still paying it off. If I can use savings account balances then it might be good. My fiancee and I have a joint account in which we both put our money into. We would have hopefully saved up about 10 grand by that time. Would that make a significant difference?

Thank you, really! sorry I have so many questions...

hi vj's

have a question... how should i know if im Qualify to sponsor?? i make 23-25 G's a year.. any range of amount their looking for? so i know if im qualify or not and need a co-sponsor

My Wife USCIS Journey

02/09/10 - send I-130

05-12-10 - got an email says Approve. !!! yehey!!!!!

05-14-10 - NOA2 Hard Copy Receive

Your I-130 was approved in 90 days from your NOA1 date

`~ Wife NVC Journey ~`

05-17-10 - got NVC CASE# and Took our E-mail addresess

05-19-10 - DS-3032/AOS fee bill Receive

05-19-10 - Send DS-3032 via E-mail

05-21-10 - AOS fee bill Show as PAID (Print Cover Sheet)

05-22-10 - send AOS via USPS EXPRESS (ds3032 also By mail)

05-26-10 - DS-3032 Accepted

06-11-10 - RFE Missing bank statement

06-17-10 - Paid IV bill online (inprocess)

06-21-10 - IV fee bill Show's (PAID)

06-22-10 - Mail in AOS RFE & DS230

06-24-10 - AOS RFE & DS230 (deliverd) 11:24am

08-10-10 - Sign In Failed

08-11-10 - AVR says my case is complete!!!!!!

08-15-10 - receive email from NVC Interview date sept3

08-18-10 - do medical complete

09-03-10 - interview APPROVE!!!!!

My Daughter USCIS Journey

03-01-10 - Sent I-130

06-28-10 - APPROVE!!!!!!

DAUGHTER NVC

07-11-10 - Got Case #

07-25-10 - Paid AOS Sent ds3032 VIA email

08-25-10 - Paid IV bill

09-02-10 - Sent AOS & DS-230 VIA FedEx Overnight

09-03-10 - delivered @ NVC

09-08-10 - @ NVC system

My fiancee and I have a joint account in which we both put our money into.

Oh, I was just about to post a question about this (still might!)... where do you and your fiance have a joint account? My fiance is a UK citizen as well and all the banks I've checked with won't allow him to get a US account without a social security #, and I can't get a UK account without being a resident....

12 Nov 10: Married :)

USCIS - California Service Center

18 Nov 10: I-130 mailed

01 Dec 10: NOA 1 (text message & email)

06 Dec 10: NOA 1 (paper copy)

06 Dec 10: Called for service request to expedite - military deployment(s) of petitioner

09 Dec 10: Received USCIS phone call request for additional info

18 Dec 10: NOA 2 received dated 10 Dec 10 (paper copy - no email/website status update)

NVC

16 Dec 10: NVC received package

20 Dec 10: Called NVC for NVC case #, IIN & update email addresses

22 Dec 10: Received email with AOS/IV invoice

27 Dec 10: AOS/IV fees show as PAID

01 Feb 11: Mailed NVC AOS and IV package

09 Feb 11: NVC received AOS and IV package

16 Feb 11: RFE for military records of beneficiary

25 Feb 11: Emailed NVC with expedite request and RFE records

02 Mar 11: Email receipt of expedite request received

07 Mar 11: Email receipt of RFE documents received and under review

15 Mar 11: Called NVC, spoke to very nice operator. Told expedite request not logged in system. Re-emailed expedite request. Called congressman.

19 Mar 11: Sign in failed

21 Mar 11: NVC case complete

US Embassy - London

08 Feb 11: Medical complete at Knightsbridge

24 Mar 11: DHL package delivered

04 Apr 11: Embassy mailed instructions, rec'd 08 Apr 11

20 Apr 11: Interview - approved!

26 Apr 11: Courier package arrived

25 May 11: POE :)

Timeline

Oh, I was just about to post a question about this (still might!)... where do you and your fiance have a joint account? My fiance is a UK citizen as well and all the banks I've checked with won't allow him to get a US account without a social security #, and I can't get a UK account without being a resident....

I just used my usual bank, San Diego County Credit Union, it might have something to do with the fact that it is a credit union. I had to get a copy of his passport and this form from the bank notarized.

Sometimes the CO at the London embassy will allow the British citizen to sponsor if they have enough assets. I don't know if this only applies to K1s, but it would be definitely something worth checking out.

And this may seem hard, but you can still always get married and then just wait on applying for the petition until you get a stable job.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

hi vj's

have a question... how should i know if im Qualify to sponsor?? i make 23-25 G's a year.. any range of amount their looking for? so i know if im qualify or not and need a co-sponsor

Go to USCIS website. Click on FORMS, download I-864P. Look at the table based on number in household, including your wife/fiance/any dependents you claim on your taxes, and you must meet the 125% guideline for that number.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2010-06-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-19

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2010-08-03

NVC Received : 2010-08-10

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-08-17

Pay I-864 Bill 2010-09-01

Receive I-864 Package : 2010-09-18

Return Completed I-864 : 2010-09-21

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-09-25

Receive IV Bill : 2010-10-05

Pay IV Bill : 2010-10-06

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks everyone for responding. I'm glad I still have time, hopefully I can find a co-sponsor. It's difficult considering that I only have one parent and all my friends are in college doing part-time jobs like me. I have one option maybe...we are friends with a couple who might be able to co-sponsor, but I was wondering if military people can co-sponsor? All I need is someone who earns enough for him/herself,whom ever they live with and my fiancee according to the national poverty guideline right?

is it a sure thing that I can postpone the AOS for up to 8 months? that would give me enough time to have a full time job, and my mum would probably have a full-time job by then too.

oh and as for my assets I only have a car and I'm still paying it off. If I can use savings account balances then it might be good. My fiancee and I have a joint account in which we both put our money into. We would have hopefully saved up about 10 grand by that time. Would that make a significant difference?

Thank you, really! sorry I have so many questions...

Yes, you can postpone sending the affidavit of support. It takes $3 in liquid assets to make up $1 in income shortfall so 10 grand isn't going to be enough with no income.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ah - to the OP - is CR-1 visa -

you have 1 year to 'handle all' at NVC - so if you map out that 'one year' on yer calendar, you should find some time for asset accumulation and income growth. timetick starts when NVC receives the casefile .

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.