irakro97

Removing Residency condition after divorce

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Guys,

My wife and I, after long talks and seeking a marriage counselor are getting the divorce.

I have would to ask three question:

I heard that if a divorce occurs, the residency condition can still be removed(!?), does anyone knows if the law puts any requirement on how long the marriage needs to have subsisted in order to be eligible to apply for the waiver ?

We have a Child together do I need to mention that in my application ? would it that be ok ?

Could anyone tell me what sort of proof is required to show that the marriage has been entered in good faith ?

Thanks a lot for your inputs

Hi Guys,

My wife and I, after long talks and seeking a marriage counselor are getting the divorce.

I heard that if a divorce occurs, the residency condition can still be removed(!?), does anyone knows if the law puts any requirement on how long the marriage needs to have subsisted in order to be eligible to apply for the waiver ?

We have a Child together do I need to mention that in my application ? would it that be ok ?

Could anyone tell me what sort of proof is required to show that the marriage has been entered in good faith ?

It's the same as regular ROC but you're ticking the box d, including your divorce decree and other evidence of good faith marriage - whatever you can come up with - joint bank statement, child's birth certificate, insurance (medical, car, house/apt...). lease/mortgage, junk mail sent to same address...

If you're within 90 days of expiration of your GC you still want to send it in even if you still don't have a decree - they will give you a NOA to extend your status for a year, but you will also get a RFE for missing decree.

Look through this forum, several people have lifted conditions successfully with a divorce - removal of conditions with a waiver should help in search.

Best of luck to you!

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Hi Guys,

yes, you can still get approved based on a marriage entered in good faith. The previous poster actually summed it up nicely, but I wanted to mention that if your divorce is final, I don't think you need to wait until you are within 90 days of your card expiration date, you can mail it in earlier.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Hi Guys,

Just went through the same and got conditions successfully removed. To answer your questions:

"I heard that if a divorce occurs, the residency condition can still be removed(!?), does anyone knows if the law puts any requirement on how long the marriage needs to have subsisted in order to be eligible to apply for the waiver ?"

You are correct. You are eligable to get your conditions removed. There is no specific time requirement concerning how long you have to be married in case of a divorce. Let me put is this way: if you get divorced after 1.9 years, meaning close to the actual 2 year deadline, it looks somewhat more like a real marriage than getting a divorce one week after entering the US. Having said that, this statement of course is only taking into account the time aspect. If you have of course tons or documents as proof the time aspect is not as important. Every case including evidence is somewhat unique.

"We have a Child together do I need to mention that in my application ? would it that be ok ?"

Having a child together is great proof / evidence in your situation. The birth certificate should certainly be included in your evidence. Nevertheless, you only need to mention the child as evidence and not for application purposes as the child is a US citizen and therefore has not green card and or relevance for the proceedings (unless used as evidence as aforementioned).

"Could anyone tell me what sort of proof is required to show that the marriage has been entered in good faith ?"

Any documentation showing somehow and somewhat that you maintained a real marriage.

- Insurance Certificates (Car, Life, Property, what not..)

- Birth Certificate of Children

- Car Titles

- Car Loans

- Mortgages / Rental Agreement

- Bank Statements showing joint ownership of bank accounts

- Credit Card Statement

- Health Insurance Documents (Invoices, Claims, etc)

- Flight Tickets from previous trips

- Hotel Booking Confirmations

- Rental Car Receipts, showing your or your spouse as add. driver

- In your case: AFFIDAVIT OF YOUR MARRIAGE COUNSELOR (I did the same!!!)

- Affidavits of friends, etc

- Affidavit from your former spouse (if he/she is willing to do this)

- Copies of Driver Licenses showing same address for both of you

- Family Cell Phone Plan Invoices

- Any other term based financial documentation / agreement

- Official IRS Tax Return Transcripts, etc

- etc etc etc

Send me a Private Msg if you need more info.

Note: I got my conditions removed without request for further evidence or interview. This is great, however unexpected and not the general rule. Nevertheless, if you need help let me know.

My timeline... (Frankfurt)

10/26/2007 Filed I-130 in person + paid 355 USD

10/26/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 + got "case number"

10/26/2007 Received the document checklist

11/08/2007 Immunizations check

11/12/2007 Medical

11/16/2007 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate

11/26/2007 Confirmation via e-mail that the consulate received the "checklist" and medical result

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved!!!

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives via snail mail

02/01/2008 Visa interview - APPROVAL!

02/05/2008 Received visa via snail mail. DCF DONE!

02/23/2008 Arrived in the U.S.! Flight to Seattle via Newark as POE

03/10/2008 Welcome Letter (Form I-797C, Notice of Action) arrived

03/15/2008 Another Welcome Letter (Form I-797C) arrived... what a waste...

03/20/2008 Received I-551 (green card) via snail mail

03/24/2008 Received social security card via snail mail

10/20/2008 Moved from Seattle to Mobile, AL

06/18/2009 Wife filed for divorce

10/07/2009 Divorce was finalized

12/17/2009 Filed I-751 to remove conditions on residence under waiver

12/25/2009 Refiled I-751 because USPS returned the filed to me (hmpf!!!)

12/31/2009 Vermont Service Center received I-751

01/27/2010 Received the Biometrics Appointment Letter. Never received my NOA1.

02/01/2010 Biometrics Appointment in New Orleans, LA.

04/24/2010 Approval of Removal of Conditions! No RFE or interview. Yes!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Note: I got my conditions removed without request for further evidence or interview. This is great, however unexpected and not the general rule. Nevertheless, if you need help let me know.

The same here...looks like thats the new trend for waivers! Budget cuts, maybe?

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Timeline

The same here...looks like thats the new trend for waivers! Budget cuts, maybe?

Thank you Everyone for your response

Just went through the same and got conditions successfully removed. To answer your questions:

"I heard that if a divorce occurs, the residency condition can still be removed(!?), does anyone knows if the law puts any requirement on how long the marriage needs to have subsisted in order to be eligible to apply for the waiver ?"

You are correct. You are eligable to get your conditions removed. There is no specific time requirement concerning how long you have to be married in case of a divorce. Let me put is this way: if you get divorced after 1.9 years, meaning close to the actual 2 year deadline, it looks somewhat more like a real marriage than getting a divorce one week after entering the US. Having said that, this statement of course is only taking into account the time aspect. If you have of course tons or documents as proof the time aspect is not as important. Every case including evidence is somewhat unique.

"We have a Child together do I need to mention that in my application ? would it that be ok ?"

Having a child together is great proof / evidence in your situation. The birth certificate should certainly be included in your evidence. Nevertheless, you only need to mention the child as evidence and not for application purposes as the child is a US citizen and therefore has not green card and or relevance for the proceedings (unless used as evidence as aforementioned).

"Could anyone tell me what sort of proof is required to show that the marriage has been entered in good faith ?"

Any documentation showing somehow and somewhat that you maintained a real marriage.

- Insurance Certificates (Car, Life, Property, what not..)

- Birth Certificate of Children

- Car Titles

- Car Loans

- Mortgages / Rental Agreement

- Bank Statements showing joint ownership of bank accounts

- Credit Card Statement

- Health Insurance Documents (Invoices, Claims, etc)

- Flight Tickets from previous trips

- Hotel Booking Confirmations

- Rental Car Receipts, showing your or your spouse as add. driver

- In your case: AFFIDAVIT OF YOUR MARRIAGE COUNSELOR (I did the same!!!)

- Affidavits of friends, etc

- Affidavit from your former spouse (if he/she is willing to do this)

- Copies of Driver Licenses showing same address for both of you

- Family Cell Phone Plan Invoices

- Any other term based financial documentation / agreement

- Official IRS Tax Return Transcripts, etc

- etc etc etc

Send me a Private Msg if you need more info.

Thank you Oban, Your advises are really helpful. Yes I would like to keep in touch with you , how can I send you a personal message ?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Thank you Oban, Your advises are really helpful. Yes I would like to keep in touch with you , how can I send you a personal message ?

You can just click the mail icon under Oban's name to send PMsmile.gif

Or you can go to your Messenger page and compose new message. Put "Oban" in Recipient's Name.

I hope you can understand my explanation. My English isn't so good so...blush.gif

Timeline

You can just click the mail icon under Oban's name to send PMsmile.gif

Or you can go to your Messenger page and compose new message. Put "Oban" in Recipient's Name.

I hope you can understand my explanation. My English isn't so good so...blush.gif

That's good enough thanks !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.