woody1

itin number for tax return

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

i need help please. my spouse is on ap and i filed joint tax return for which my spouse applied for itin number with w7 form. sent a notarized copy of passport with it. i got a letter from irs saying that "foreign notaries are acceptable if they attach an apostille to the notarized document as outlined by the hague convention". so can anyone tell me what it means? they dint accept the notarized copy i sent. my spose is in india,. so who can notarize the passport copy the way they want it. please help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Some have success getting the COPY notarized at a US Embassy/Consulate - this bypasses all 'apostile' and 'Hague convention' issues.

Perhaps you should get a notarized copy from the US Embassy/Consulate, somewhere in India?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Agree with Darnell. If your wife cannot get to an embassy/consulate then try the passport issuing authority in India. I'm not sure how it works over there but in Australia, it is the Passport Office that do the apostilles.

Hope this helps.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I also had my husband take a copy to the Embassy and they notarized it there and I had no problem getting his ITIN number. Good Luck

Marriage : 2008-01-26

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-06

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-20

I-130 Approved : 2008-03-19

NVC Received : 2008-03-25

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-04-07

Pay I-864 Bill 2008-04-17

Receive I-864 Package : 2008-04-21

Return Completed I-864 : 2008-04-22

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-04-07

Receive IV Bill : 2008-04-20

Pay IV Bill : 2008-04-21

Receive Instruction Package : 2008-05-01

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-05-12

NVC Left : 2008-05-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-01

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-05-01

Packet 4 Received : 2008-05-31

Interview Date : 2008-07-15

result AP

2009-05-15 case returned to USCIS

2009-06-29 case received at USCIS

2010-03-12 letter from USCIS stating reason for case being returned and asking for additional info of a on going relationship

2010-03-29 sent next day air-2010-03-30 10:30 USCIS signed for package

2010-03-31 USCIS updated accoun

2010-04-10 received email case reaffirmed

2010-08-18 2nd interview

9/2/2010 Visa Received

9/16/2010 Entered USA

10/15/2010 received 10 year GC

:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pGV...s4pIA&hl=en

i need help please. my spouse is on ap and i filed joint tax return for which my spouse applied for itin number with w7 form. sent a notarized copy of passport with it. i got a letter from irs saying that "foreign notaries are acceptable if they attach an apostille to the notarized document as outlined by the hague convention". so can anyone tell me what it means? they dint accept the notarized copy i sent. my spose is in india,. so who can notarize the passport copy the way they want it. please help.

In my case they accepted the Notorized copy of her passport when i applied for ITIN, but I included I-130 NOA1 as a supporting document with ITIN application as well just as a proof of her immigration status and it got approved, here are couple of web links how to get an apostille from India, Indian Gov Site , More info about Apostille in India I hope this helps and good luck with it, as you know how things work in India :innocent:

Edited by Davis1

Here you go all the info you need, one more link from US New Delhi Embassy authenticate-indian-documents-for-use-in-the-u.s

Timeline

thanks for all the replies. i found somebody online in delhi who will do this for 2000 rupees. he wants my spouse send the copy of her passport and the guy say he don't need the original they can manage without it. here is the e mail i received

"Apostille attestation on passport copy can be managed. For this job we require only one working day and even the clients presence is also not required. We have done it several times for clients from USA, required for tax purposes.

Although original passport is required to submit in MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) for the purpose to cross check all the contents in the photocopy, but we can manage it even without that.

It will cost you Rs. 2000 and will take one day. It would be first attested by a notary and then Apostille. We suggest you to send us the color photocopy of your passport and it should be in such a manner that both, front and back side of the passport page appear on the same side (See sample attachment)

If you require this attested photocopy in USA then the additional cost of International courier (DHL) of Rs. 1100 will be Extra"

What do u think guys? should i do it by mail coz its 8 hrs drive to delhi from my place

Edited by singh2

thanks for all the replies. i found somebody online in delhi who will do this for 2000 rupees. he wants my spouse send the copy of her passport and the guy say he don't need the original they can manage without it. here is the e mail i received

"Apostille attestation on passport copy can be managed. For this job we require only one working day and even the clients presence is also not required. We have done it several times for clients from USA, required for tax purposes.

Although original passport is required to submit in MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) for the purpose to cross check all the contents in the photocopy, but we can manage it even without that.

It will cost you Rs. 2000 and will take one day. It would be first attested by a notary and then Apostille. We suggest you to send us the color photocopy of your passport and it should be in such a manner that both, front and back side of the passport page appear on the same side (See sample attachment)

If you require this attested photocopy in USA then the additional cost of International courier (DHL) of Rs. 1100 will be Extra"

What do u think guys? should i do it by mail coz its 8 hrs drive to delhi from my place

Haha told you how thing works in india, and it is totally up to you, actual fees to get an apostille in India only cost 50 Indian Rupees if you go in person...!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Haha told you how thing works in india, and it is totally up to you, actual fees to get an apostille in India only cost 50 Indian Rupees if you go in person...!!!

Wow - India works like Aus then! It's not the actual apostille that is expensive, it's getting the Public Notary to certify it! Can cost up to $150 per document for that alone. I had to shop around and there were not that many to start with.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Wow - India works like Aus then! It's not the actual apostille that is expensive, it's getting the Public Notary to certify it! Can cost up to $150 per document for that alone. I had to shop around and there were not that many to start with.

Do you want to know that in the USA atleast in the state I live in getting something Notorized and Apostille cost nothing

"Zero...Zilch....Nada"....!!!! :dance:

Timeline

hi davis1

u r right in india anything is possible. i am only worried that this is not some kind of scam."no original needed"? but again in india i have seen things happen. but the ad looks pretty legit and my wife also called the guy in person in india(he had phone listed in his ad } and guy told her the same thing he told me in e-mail. it will cost me about same if my spouse drives or takes a bus to delhi plus the hassle of standing in line and may be staying there overnight since its 8 hr drive from my house. and than pain and suffering of traveling. so i think it will be worth 2000 rupees by just doing it by mail. i am only worried about this being some kind of scam. but i am going to try.

Deb and steve

u mean 150 dollars? that's how much u paid.i cant believe it. u r right though that its hard to find somebody to do it. there r not too many around and most of them don't even know what apostille is. they initially notarized her passport copies wrong but telling her its apostille attestation and irs rejected it. thats the reason i posted it her and did some research on internet.

thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hi davis1

u r right in india anything is possible. i am only worried that this is not some kind of scam."no original needed"? but again in india i have seen things happen. but the ad looks pretty legit and my wife also called the guy in person in india(he had phone listed in his ad } and guy told her the same thing he told me in e-mail. it will cost me about same if my spouse drives or takes a bus to delhi plus the hassle of standing in line and may be staying there overnight since its 8 hr drive from my house. and than pain and suffering of traveling. so i think it will be worth 2000 rupees by just doing it by mail. i am only worried about this being some kind of scam. but i am going to try.

Deb and steve

u mean 150 dollars? that's how much u paid.i cant believe it. u r right though that its hard to find somebody to do it. there r not too many around and most of them don't even know what apostille is. they initially notarized her passport copies wrong but telling her its apostille attestation and irs rejected it. thats the reason i posted it her and did some research on internet.

thanks

Sounds sketchy to me. I would just do it at the embassy or with someone who requires seeing the original . .which is required to be legal. . .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.