Fruit_blend

Citizenship Interview without biometrics?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi, guys!

I applied my docs for the citizenship and sent a check for 675$( N-400 and biometric fees) at the end of Feb...and on Apr 6 I got a letter to come to interview on May 7....But before that I never got my biometric's app-t being scheduled!! I called USCIS customer Service, but they told me they couldnt help me and if I was told to come to interview, just go there and ask them...

Did anyone had such an experience of interview before or without biometrics or heard about it? Im scared they wont even test me since I didnt have my biometrics taken....Thank you!!!!!

Hi, guys!

I applied my docs for the citizenship and sent a check for 675$( N-400 and biometric fees) at the end of Feb...and on Apr 6 I got a letter to come to interview on May 7....But before that I never got my biometric's app-t being scheduled!! I called USCIS customer Service, but they told me they couldnt help me and if I was told to come to interview, just go there and ask them...

Did anyone had such an experience of interview before or without biometrics or heard about it? Im scared they wont even test me since I didnt have my biometrics taken....Thank you!!!!!

Have you had a biometrics in the past 12 months? Usually, biometrics are valid for that much time and are not required again.

You can ask your IO during the interview, but I am not sure if you should even bother...

- oh by the way, Welcome to VJ!!!!

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

Have you had a biometrics in the past 12 months? Usually, biometrics are valid for that much time and are not required again.

You can ask your IO during the interview, but I am not sure if you should even bother...

- oh by the way, Welcome to VJ!!!!

Thank you, v333k, for welcoming me and your respond!!!

The last time i did fingerprints to remove conditions on Apr 28.2009..

But what about the biometric fee 80$ that i sent in?? Or is it that i have to pay it anyways no matter if i had my fingerprints or not?

Thank you, v333k, for welcoming me and your respond!!!

The last time i did fingerprints to remove conditions on Apr 28.2009..

But what about the biometric fee 80$ that i sent in?? Or is it that i have to pay it anyways no matter if i had my fingerprints or not?

I did my last bio on May 27, 2009 but I was still scheduled for bio again for May 06, 2010. I applied for Naturalization on April 05, 2010. From my last bio up until now, it is not even 1 year yet, but i was still required to do it again. So, i am not sure what is goin on with your case. The best way, just go to the interview and ask the IO. You will know the answer!

Naturalization

04/05/2010: Sent package to Dallas, TX lockbox via priority mail with delivery confirmation

04/07/2010: Package delivered in Dallas, TX

04/14/2010: Notice Date

04/19/2010: Received NOA in the mail

04/20/2010: RFE sent (Should it be the biometric letter?)

04/24/2010: Biometrics letter received (it is the RFE) scheduled for 05/06/2010

04/29/2010: Biometrics done (early walk-in)

05/19/2010: Received email advising that case has been transfered for standard interview at local office

05/21/2010: Interview letter received with notice date 05/17/2010

06/22/2010: Interview - passed

09/14/2010: Oath Ceremony at Boston, MA - Officially became US citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

This is quite interesting. I had my last biometrics taken in November 2009. Let us know how the interview went and why you didn't have to go get your biometrics done.

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems to vary quite a bit. There have been a number of VJers who have had recent biometrics for the ROC who did not have to re-do their biometrics for their Citizenship application - and no, they don't refund the biometrics fee :D - but there have also been some who have had their biometrics done in the same time frame who have been sent to have them re-done. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in the situation at all. So, go to the interview and explain you haven't had the biometrics, then see what they say. If they say the biometrics are still valid, then well and good. If not, then they can make the arrangements for you to get them done. I suspect if they have been done within 15 months of your interview (they are supposed to remain valid for 15 months) and you don't receive another biometrics letter, the existing ones are considered still valid and you are good to go.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I am also going to the interview without a new FP. Last time they took one was about a year ago and I am assuming they can still use those FP. I would not worry about your FP step, as you already got an interview date, which tells ya you are on the right track and successfully skipped the FP step. Good Luck to us.

It seems to vary quite a bit. There have been a number of VJers who have had recent biometrics for the ROC who did not have to re-do their biometrics for their Citizenship application - and no, they don't refund the biometrics fee :D - but there have also been some who have had their biometrics done in the same time frame who have been sent to have them re-done. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in the situation at all. So, go to the interview and explain you haven't had the biometrics, then see what they say. If they say the biometrics are still valid, then well and good. If not, then they can make the arrangements for you to get them done. I suspect if they have been done within 15 months of your interview (they are supposed to remain valid for 15 months) and you don't receive another biometrics letter, the existing ones are considered still valid and you are good to go.

Timeline

Thank you, guys, for your input!!!!!!!! I feel so much better now!

I will let you all know what they will tell me about my fingerprints....I really hope they used my old ones and if this is the case, I wouldnt worry about those 80$ then....Thanks again!!!!!!

My friend had this same experience as you. But in his case..he married a US CITIZEN and had his biometrics done a year before he applied for citizenship. Therefore he was told that biometrics are valid for fifteen months therefore he did not need to do biometrics again. BUT, BUT, he was NOT refunded. I guess it is one way for them to make money ???

Timeline

My friend had this same experience as you. But in his case..he married a US CITIZEN and had his biometrics done a year before he applied for citizenship. Therefore he was told that biometrics are valid for fifteen months therefore he did not need to do biometrics again. BUT, BUT, he was NOT refunded. I guess it is one way for them to make money ???

Yes, im married to a US citizen too...and my FP were done a year ago...i just wish they would notify somehow that my old FP are still valid and i dont have to do them again....as of those 80$, let them have it as everyone should pay for it and in my case it just saved me a trip :yes: SO,im just getting ready for my test this Friday and making sure I got all docs together...Thank you, Rodeoman! :D

Fruit_Blend,

My wife and I are having a similar experience. We filed her N-400 from Germany under INA 319b back in February. I included the FP cards that were taken on the military base here in Mannheim. I then received a letter saying we needed to pay an additional $80 for biometrics. I sent the additional check to USCIS and have been waiting for over a month for a biometrics appointment.

This morning I received an email alert saying that my wife's case has been transferred to the local USCIS office and an interview will be scheduled. Now we're anxiously awaiting her interview letter...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05/25/2009 - DCF I-130 in Kuwait

06/01/2009 - Approved by DHS/UCIS

06/01/2009 - Packet 3 received with approval email

07/05/2009 - Uzbek Police report received

07/07/2009 - Uzbek Police report authenticated by embassy

07/08/2009 - Medical Exams completed

07/30/2009 - Birth certificate translated and authenticated

08/12/2009 - Kuwait police certificate requested (10 days to process)

08/13/2009 - Sent email to embassy to request interview appointment date

08/16/2009 - Kuwait embassy responded with interview date

08/26/2009 - Interview for wife!!!

08/26/2009 - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

09/01/2009 - Passport with visa and immigration package received by DHL

10/05/2009 - POE at DFW. No issues, very quick

10/15/2009 - Applied for SSN

10/15/2009 - Back to Kuwait to pack and move to Germany

Now working on expedited naturalization....

02/18/2010 - Now working in Germany. Filed N-400 under INA sectin 319(b)

02/24/2010 - Received in Lincoln, NE

03/17/2010 - Check Cashed

03/26/2010 - NOA received requesting additonal payment for Biometrics even through 2 fingerprint cards were supplied with the application.

03/29/2010 - Mailed additional check for $80

04/12/2010 - Biometrics check cashed

04/19/2010 - NOA received saying that payment for biometrics was received

05/11/2010 - Email alert saying case is now in Testing and Interview status. Waiting for interview appointment.

06/15/2010 - Passed Naturalization exam. Same day Oath Ceremony

06/17/2010 - Applied for US Passport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.