bolin786

K-1 visa filing abroad

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

My GF is a Phillipino native working in Hong Kong and was told at the Hong Kong US embassy that she could file her documents in Hong Kong thru the USA embassy and Phillipine Consulate. I have always understood that she has to be in the Phillipines when filing her application. I am a USA citizen residing in Miami, Florida and I will be filing a K-1 visa so we can get married and I can bring her to the USA. Please assist us because I want to be sure and not commit any mistakes that can delay the application process. Thanks

Archie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You, the US citizen, files the petition, not your girlfriend. You will need to complete the paperwork and submit it to the lockbox in Chicago.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

These guides will help you through the process. Your girlfriend cannot file the petition in Hong Kong

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Screech. Halt. Who goes there.

The petitioner of a K-1 visa does not submit the petition to the lockbox in Chicago -- in the case of the OP it will be sent to the Vermont Service Center.

If the OP's fiancée is definitely going to be in Hong Kong for the duration of the process, he can stipulate the Hong Kong embassy as the one in which she will be applying for the visa at in the I-129F (Part B, Line 20). No issues there, though I don't know the repercussions of applying in Hong Kong versus Manila -- i.e. if one poses more difficulty than the other.

You are on the right track, as educating yourself early on raises the chance of success exponentially. Use this forum and the guides, and you'll have a good shot at it.

Read the guide the PP linked to, and also refer to this PDF from the embassy in Manila should you end up having her apply for the visa there (http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwfk1en.pdf).

Good luck.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My GF is a Phillipino native working in Hong Kong and was told at the Hong Kong US embassy that she could file her documents in Hong Kong thru the USA embassy and Phillipine Consulate. I have always understood that she has to be in the Phillipines when filing her application. I am a USA citizen residing in Miami, Florida and I will be filing a K-1 visa so we can get married and I can bring her to the USA. Please assist us because I want to be sure and not commit any mistakes that can delay the application process. Thanks

All visas are filed for at a US Consulate abroad. However, she is not yet eligible until you submit a petition on her behalf to the USCIS and it has been approved.

:guides:

YMMV

I am a USA citizen residing in Miami, Florida and I will be filing a K-1 visa so we can get married and I can bring her to the USA.

Just a note of clarification here too - you cannot file K-1, get married and then bring her to the US. You must file, get approved, bring her to the US, THEN GET MARRIED.

If you get married at any point before her entry to the US you will be starting all over with a CR-1.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The petitioner of a K-1 visa does not submit the petition to the lockbox in Chicago -- in the case of the OP it will be sent to the Vermont Service Center.

Thanks for the clarification

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Just a note of clarification here too - you cannot file K-1, get married and then bring her to the US. You must file, get approved, bring her to the US, THEN GET MARRIED.

If you get married at any point before her entry to the US you will be starting all over with a CR-1.

Sorry I mispoke. I meant bringing her to the US after the K-1 Visa is approved and THEN getting married. But thanks for pointing out my error.

Archie

Timeline

All visas are filed for at a US Consulate abroad. However, she is not yet eligible until you submit a petition on her behalf to the USCIS and it has been approved.

guides6ly.gif

I am presently in PI meeting my fiancee and her family. This our first encounter together and I am delighted with her and she is also with me. I understand that when I return to the states I am the one who has to submit a petition on her behalf to the USCIS. I just wanted to know if she could complete her part of the process in HK since

she works there and it would be easier for her complete the application there. She lives in a small province in the PI and traveling to Manila everytime she has to go to the US Embassy can be a tremendous hardship for her. She know her way quite well in HK and she can go to the PI Consulate there as well as the US Embassy.

Thank you again ever so much for your assistance. You have been quite a support in these times when you are filled with anxiety about a process that appears so complicated. Archie

Archie

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am presently in PI meeting my fiancee and her family. This our first encounter together and I am delighted with her and she is also with me. I understand that when I return to the states I am the one who has to submit a petition on her behalf to the USCIS. I just wanted to know if she could complete her part of the process in HK since

she works there and it would be easier for her complete the application there. She lives in a small province in the PI and traveling to Manila everytime she has to go to the US Embassy can be a tremendous hardship for her. She know her way quite well in HK and she can go to the PI Consulate there as well as the US Embassy.

Thank you again ever so much for your assistance. You have been quite a support in these times when you are filled with anxiety about a process that appears so complicated. Archie

She will apply at the US consulate with jurisdiction over her current place of legal residence... If that is HK then it is HK

YMMV

Sorry I mispoke. I meant bringing her to the US after the K-1 Visa is approved and THEN getting married. But thanks for pointing out my error.

:thumbs: I figured that was what you meant but just wanted to be sure! We have actually seen couples get almost there and then get married and have to start all over :blink:

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Timeline

She will apply at the US consulate with jurisdiction over her current place of legal residence... If that is HK then it is HK

Thanks you again for your prompt answer. My gf has been working in HK for the past 12 years caring for an elderly lady. She has her residence in HK and picture ID from HK so I guess she can fill her part

of the documents and complete her part of the application as soon as I submit my request for a K-1 visa on her behalf back in the states. She tells me it would be a lot easier for her to do this while in HK.

She knows her way around and besides she does not like me to be spending monies if she can help herself. She also sends money to her daughter who is 18 and in college studying to be a teacher.

Now that I mention her daughter, should we file for her also? She is at present wanting to stay in the PI but we would like to be able to give her the optio

God bless you and your family for all your kindness.

Archie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.