GabiandVi

Is this an African thing?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline

This is an interesting thread.

My husband also does the same. Thank goodness we won't have an interview. He just got his approval letter from the CSC today in the mail.

Most people are saying that it could be that Africans just aren't as responsive to dates and number, which is true, but it could also be that he's just not a number person. My mother will remember long strings of numbers that she's seen only once but you tell her to buy you something at the grocery store and she'll completely forget. Maybe your husband is the opposite. Nothing to do with intelligence but dealing with what your brain is more responsive to.

Anyway, I'm sure you're interview will go fine. Just practice. Good luck!

03 31 09: Last day I saw my love

04 03 09: Flight back to America and the end of my Peace Corps service

04 13 09: Mailed off I-129F

04 20 09: Check cleared my account

04 23 09: NOA1

07 14 09: Touch

08 20 09: NOA2

10 06 09: First interview. Missing Document.

10 20 09: Second interview. Submitted missing document.

10 22 09: Visa in hand. Also my birthday.

11 14 09: Entry into the US at IAD (Washington Dulles International)

01 16 10: Wedding Day!

03 06 10: Mailed off AOS papers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

LOL nope it's not just your honey. Mine does the same thing. I thought I was pretty well prepared having grown up in a very multicultural atmosphere but still had to take a moment to think on the actual meaning of "I'm coming" or "Let me come...". At first I was like what in the...? LOL But I soon realized he meant "I'm leaving" or "Let me leave and come back" :rofl:

tumblr_l2zffoq44C1qc5x0yo1_400.jpg

My honey is NIGERIAN and I'm AMERICAN

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/02/10 NOA1 Notice date

08/06/10 Touched

08/07/10 Received NOA1 in mail

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

01/31/11 I-129F Petition APPROVED!!!

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

03/01/11 Interview (FH is in AP)

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

04/13/11 FH notified to come to the embassy with his passport!

04/26/11 FH received Visa

04/29/11 FH Arrived in the US!!! JFK POE

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

LOL nope it's not just your honey. Mine does the same thing. I thought I was pretty well prepared having grown up in a very multicultural atmosphere but still had to take a moment to think on the actual meaning of "I'm coming" or "Let me come...". At first I was like what in the...? LOL But I soon realized he meant "I'm leaving" or "Let me leave and come back" :rofl:

LOL! That is so true. When my husband says "I'm coming", it took me a minute to learn that he meant, I'll be right back! I was like "really? You're coming over here now?" LOL.

Road to Citizenship

04/23/2014 - N-400 Package Sent

04/25/2014 - N-400 Package Delivered

04/30/2014 - Received electronic notification

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's not just a Sub Saharan African thing either! My Moroccan SO couldn't remember the names of any of his schools or dates he attended, and he's only held 2 jobs in his life and he couldn't remember the names of his employers or when he worked there.. We had to dig through mountains of old school papers and find paystubs from 5 years ago to get the names..

His own parents don't know their own birthdays, beyond the year they were born, and he's told me he thinks even they might be wrong about that.. His family was nice enough to throw me a party for my birthday last month, but you could tell it was a total novelty for them..

Seems that on this entire continent, time isn't an issue- let me ask you all this- do you also run into a lackadaisical "I'll get around to it" attitude from them when things need to be done? I feel like I'm in procrastination nation over here.. is that an issue for you guys too?

Sarah

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

Seems that on this entire continent, time isn't an issue- let me ask you all this- do you also run into a lackadaisical "I'll get around to it" attitude from them when things need to be done? I feel like I'm in procrastination nation over here.. is that an issue for you guys too?

Always. When I was in South Africa and Zimbabwe, it was always "I'll do that 'just now', but 'just now' means eventually, whenever it happens..."

Married - 3/12/10

AOS Filed - 5/13/10

Biometrics received - 6/5/10

Biometrics done - 6/9/10

RFE Received 6/10/10

Touched - 6/7/10, 6/16/10, 6/17,10 (all)

RFE delivered - 6/29/10

Resumed processing - 6/30/10

EAD Production Ordered - 7/2/10, 7/8/10, mailed 7/15/10

Touched - 7/6/10, 7/8/10 (485, 765)

Touched EAD - 7/16/10

EAD Received!! - 7/17/10

Interview - August 30, 8:45- Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's not just a Sub Saharan African thing either! My Moroccan SO couldn't remember the names of any of his schools or dates he attended, and he's only held 2 jobs in his life and he couldn't remember the names of his employers or when he worked there.. We had to dig through mountains of old school papers and find paystubs from 5 years ago to get the names..

His own parents don't know their own birthdays, beyond the year they were born, and he's told me he thinks even they might be wrong about that.. His family was nice enough to throw me a party for my birthday last month, but you could tell it was a total novelty for them..

Sarah

I have found that my getting mad at his "let's take things step by step"= no steps are being taken attitude, gets him right on his feet! But, I have only just figured that out.

Edited by Golden Gate

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I really enjoyed reading this thread, and can relate to so many of the things posted here. My husband is from Cameroon and our communication is our greatest barrier. I try to keep reminding myself that how I interpret what he says, is not what he really means. We have had so many pointless arguements because of this. So, now to avoid confusion, I repeat what I think he means and if it is not correct then he tries to make me understand. And I do the same for him. He is such a peaceful and gentle man, and he hates to argue with me, it makes him shut down. And when he shuts down it make me feel like he doesn't want to resolve the issue. So I try to stay calm and resolve the issue without raising my voice, or else he will just tune me out and not listen, if I shout at him. The differences makes our relationship very interesting, we have both learned alot of patience. Honestly, if we didn't love each other I don't think we would still be together.

K-1 Visa(see timeline)

Married: January 20, 2010

2e3a30800d.png

Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Document, Advance Parole

Mailed : 2010-01-28

Date Filed(Rec'd) : 2010-02-01

NOA1 (x3)Date : 2010-02-05 (received 2/13)

Checks Cashed: 2010-02-09

Biometrics Appt: 2010-03-05 (received 2/22)

Transferred to CSC: 2010-02-19 (Touched 2/22, 2/28)

(AOS & EAD-Touched 3/8)

EAD Approval: 2010-03-25

AP Approval: 2010-03-25

AOS Touch: 2010-07-14

AOS Approved: 2010-07-15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.