Andy H

Which Surname on I-130?

8 posts in this topic

My fiance and I are getting married on May 22nd and will be completing our I-130 soon after this and hopefully sending our pack away as soon as possible. My fiance will be the petitioner, when we complete the I-130 form should she use her current surname or my surname as we will be married? All her documentation, passport etc will still be in her current name.

Silence is golden, but Duck tape is silver.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I was in the same situation and I left her current surname as is because all of my wife's documentation had that name. I was told that if you write your surname, it will create problems when you try to get police clearance certificate. Might want to check into that before filling it out.

Thanks

NVC

10/04/2010: Case# received, Both email id provided

10/05/2010: DS-3032 COA emailed to NVC

10/11/2010: IIN received

10/11/2010: AOS review fee ($88) online payment - IN PROCESS

10/14/2010: AOS status 'PAID'

10/16/2010: DS-230 IV fee ($404) online payment - IN PROCESS

10/19/2010: DS-230 IV status 'PAID'

10/20/2010: AOS & DS-230 IV package sent

10/22/2010: AOS & DS-230 IV package delivered. Signed by: J Desmond.

11/10/2010: SIF!!!

11/14/2010: received checklist for missing passport office PCC.

11/10/2010: NVC Completion

12/09/2010: NVC Forwards Case to Consulate

CONSULATE

11/22/2010: Passport Office PCC to be in hand

12/22/2010: Medical Completed

12/28/2011: VFS Office Visit - Submit all required documents

01/10/2011: Interview Date - APPROVED

j1/11/2011: Passport arrived at home.

01/25/2011: Wife Comes to USA (POE: Newark, NJ)

event.png

i6qembf7x.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If she's going to be taking your name, then use that.

You can send in a copy of her birth certificate with the I-130 application to prove her citizenship instead of her passport. She should still get the passport info changed, though. The name on her social security card, too. They both can be updated using an original marriage certificate.

I changed my name on those two before filing because it was important to me that any checks they did using my SSN came up in my married name, and the passport as both ID/citizenship status is convenient. That's one thing she can do while waiting for NOA2.

Maybe change the SSC right after you guys get married or on the same day you send in your I-130. Then the passport after that.

Being that she's the USC, she doesn't need to obtain any PCCs, but they will run checks on her. Changing the name on the SSC doesn't take but a few hours, and you can be sure they'll use the SSN in doing their background checks.

Good luck!

Edited by TheBears

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I highly recommend you file all in her PASSPORT name.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

I ran into the same situation so I emailed USCIS and received a reply. Basically it's ok to use the married name but be sure to add the maiden name to OTHER NAMES USED section on the I-130 petition. I did not have to change my passport to reflect my married name either because the marriage certificate supports the fact that I am married. In Canada, I would have to reapply with my marriage certificate and pay the fee all over again in order to get a new passport. Not worth it on my end.

But if you WANT to be super super super cautious and ensure you don't have problems at the POE, then by all means, change the passport. Personally, I'm not worried because taking on a spouses' last name is not considered a LEGAL NAME CHANGE, so my birth certificate and marriage certificate should suffice in supporting why my passport is still valid when going to the USA.

Please see the email I sent to USCIS:

1. I haven't changed my Canadian ID, Social Insurance Number or Passport to reflect my new last name. I intend on doing this once I've immigrated. Can I used his last name (as seen on the Marriage Certificate that will be submitted) and then add my maiden name in the Other names used section? Or does the main name I use have to be reflected on my passport. I would prefer not having to reapply for a Canadian passport.

Their reply: You can use your married name and then in Others names used you can put your maiden name.

Emailing USCIS can take time to receive a reply (1-2 weeks) but it's worth it! They are so helpful.

All the best!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

My fiance and I are getting married on May 22nd and will be completing our I-130 soon after this and hopefully sending our pack away as soon as possible. My fiance will be the petitioner, when we complete the I-130 form should she use her current surname or my surname as we will be married? All her documentation, passport etc will still be in her current name.

Leave it to whatever the passport says. When you get married in the US, you will have the opportunity to legally change it.

Edited by Matthew G

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Use her current legal name at the time of petition filing. If her name changed at marriage.....

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.