alienlovechild

Harry Reid: Republican party's filibuster 'anti-American'

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) accused Republicans of being “anti-American” by demanding changes to a Wall Street regulation bill before it's debated openly on the Senate floor.

Speaking to reporters just before the Democrats’ third attempt to break a GOP filibuster on the issue, Reid said that Republicans “keep stalling, keep stalling.” He charged Republicans with trying to pick apart the bill before it even comes to the floor where both sides could offer amendments and openly debate the measure.

“Even some Democrats would like to offer amendments on this bill,” Reid said. “All of this talk from Republicans about wanting to do something about this bill before it gets on the floor is really anti-Senate and anti-American.”

Jim Manley, a Reid spokesman, acknowledged that it was “probably a poor choice of words” to call the GOP tactics anti-American.

But he said that the “American people elected them to legislate – not to filibuster everything and prevent us from doing our job.”

Reid’s comments come as rhetoric over the bill is intensifying – with both sides accusing one another of shilling for Wall Street – and as Democrats threaten to hold the Senate in session all-night to spotlight the stalemate.

On the floor earlier Wednesday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said the GOP has prevented the bill from coming to the floor because Republicans want to fix the legislation first.

“So this time people have actually had a chance to look at one of these massive Democrat bills for a change, and what’s perfectly clear to most of them is that this bill needs some work, which is precisely what Republicans have been saying for the last two weeks,” McConnell said.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36485.html

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Timeline

The G "NO" P was crying foul on health care because they claimed that there was too much backroom dealing going on. Now they are the one's blocking debate on Wall Street reform in public in favor of hammering out more backroom deals behind closed doors. What an honest and principled bunch they are. :thumbs:

Did anybody mention that the Republican's found the cover they need to let the bill proceed to the floor? They only wanted a guarantee that the taxpayers will no longer be on the hook for "too big to fail." They got that guarantee, and now, the bill can proceed to the floor for amendment.

Senate Republicans Yield on Financial Reform Bill

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

The G "NO" P was crying foul on health care because they claimed that there was too much backroom dealing going on. Now they are the one's blocking debate on Wall Street reform in public in favor of hammering out more backroom deals behind closed doors. What an honest and principled bunch they are. :thumbs:

So the GOP get hammered for playing politics, but Dingy Harry doesn't? Where's the balance there?

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

So the GOP get hammered for playing politics, but Dingy Harry doesn't? Where's the balance there?

Wait a minute. The G "NO" P just played politics with the argument of a lack of transparency and openness of the health care negotiations? They were never really concerned about it? Is that what we're saying here?

The left gets better press.

No, I think they are getting better at playing the G "NO" P's publicity game.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wait a minute. The G "NO" P just played politics with the argument of a lack of transparency and openness of the health care negotiations? They were never really concerned about it? Is that what we're saying here?

Not the main point of the article. Reid is major player in DC and the Democratuc Party yet this pile of dung is the one throwing around the anti-American label with little rebuke. Imagine the howls if a major Republican said the same thing. Reid knows the drill and he shouldn't look surprised when legal congressional tactics are used. The Democrats had over a year to deal with new financial regulations but chose to do nothing until after wasting over a year on healthcare without needing a single GOP vote.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

When you gonna quit yo job and hit the couch? After all thats what you want heh?

Edited by Col. Lingus

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I've read some where that Republicans want a bill that reduce consumer protection. Quite interesting read. Looks like the Republicans are exactly supporters for major corporations, instead of consumer. They don't care.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I've read some where that Republicans want a bill that reduce consumer protection. Quite interesting read. Looks like the Republicans are exactly supporters for major corporations, instead of consumer. They don't care.

As someone else might say, post the link, not just hearsay.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Imagine the howls if a major Republican said the same thing. Reid knows the drill and he shouldn't look surprised when legal congressional tactics are used.

Ah yes, like when the legal congressional tactic of reconciliation was used not that long ago. There was no howling coming from the G "NO" P - the party on record having used this particular maneuver the most. No, the G "NO" P was readily conceding that reconciliation is a legitimate way to pass the legislation as they have done more often than the other party in the past. No complaints from any of them. Ever.

How's life in that bubble of yours?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

Ah yes, like when the legal congressional tactic of reconciliation was used not that long ago. There was no howling coming from the G "NO" P - the party on record having used this particular maneuver the most. No, the G "NO" P was readily conceding that reconciliation is a legitimate way to pass the legislation as they have done more often than the other party in the past. No complaints from any of them. Ever.

How's life in that bubble of yours?

I see you have your latest left wing nut talking points. Pretty catchy little phrase there, the "G "no" P". Must have taken the left a lot of brain power to think that little gem up. :thumbs: