11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello,

I have a question. I am a US citizen and my wife a permanent resident. She will be eligble next March to become a US Citizen and at that time will be able to petition for her parents to come. The problem is that her parents do not want to come and stay as green card holders. They only want to come and visit us a month at a time since they have strong ties in Lima, Peru. They can not afford to come and stay here on a green card as i beleive that you have to stay here for a certain amount of time or youlose it.

Well, they went to their interview on the 27th of April to solit a tourist visa and they were denied. The interviewer did not even look at the documents my in laws had with them. Now, my question is, how can they come here? Do they have to try again in 6 months? If we petition for thier green card, do they have to stay here for 6 months at a time? What if they dont? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ALL

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Peru

Marriage : 11/25/2006

I-130 Sent : 2007-04-23

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-05-24

I-130 Approved : 2007-10-16

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-01-09

NVC Left : 01/29/2008

Med appt: 03/03/2008

Interview Date : 03/17/2008

Visa Received : 03/24/2008

US Entry : 03/27/2008 TICKET BOUGHT

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 146 days from your filing date.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

sorry to hear that i applied for visit to c my wife when my i-130 form was pending and they refused me a visit visa...

so i m adviseing u that don;t waste money on visit try to figure out some other way....

event.png

event.png

If their true intent is not to migrate to the US I would advise you not to abuse the process and system for being issued a CG,. The intent of the GC is for migration to the US, which means living and paying taxes if appropriate. You must remember if they have a business in Peru and they apply for the GC, they must file the incomes from their business to the IRS. So there are many things you and your family should consider before you under-take the GC journey as a visiting visia.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I would strongly suggest that they keep passports and travel to the states on tourist visa whenever they want. I am in a similar situation and I thought about bringing my parents here in the future but, unless you have lots of money here, that will be complicated. I dont even want to imagine what would happen if one of them gets injured or break a bone on the states and dont have medical insurance.

My parents have a very decent life there and have access to affordable good medical much cheaper than here. They are thinking on comming to visit me but my husband and I cant afford to sustain even one of them here full time. Remember, a couple of thousands go way longer in peru than on the states.

Just to finish.... i am very concerned about them getting the visa denied too..... I hope the fact that they traveled a couple of times to other countries helps....

Edited by katiushka

Timeline

I would strongly suggest that they keep passports and travel to the states on tourist visa whenever they want. I am in a similar situation and I thought about bringing my parents here in the future but, unless you have lots of money here, that will be complicated. I dont even want to imagine what would happen if one of them gets injured or break a bone on the states and dont have medical insurance.

My parents have a very decent life there and have access to affordable good medical much cheaper than here. They are thinking on comming to visit me but my husband and I cant afford to sustain even one of them here full time. Remember, a couple of thousands go way longer in peru than on the states.

Just to finish.... i am very concerned about them getting the visa denied too..... I hope the fact that they traveled a couple of times to other countries helps....

You mentioned lots of money... In your terms, how much money is Lots of money? The interviewing officer does not check paperwork, they base theier decision on interview. I beleive my household income is well above the national average so the money factor does not have anything to do with it. I beleive its just based on luck. Its a hit or miss. Also, as a GC holder, they do not have to pay taxes on a business that is not generating income in the US or money coming in to the US. All monies made overseas, as long as it stays overseas is not taxed. ($10,000 or mroe is taxed if brung into the US)'

"I would strongly suggest that they keep passports and travel to the states on tourist visa whenever they want."

They cant since they can not come to the US, remeber they were denied a visa! They do have travel to Ecuador and Argentina but again, they were denied.

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

???

A Permanent Resident lives in the US, may occasionally visit elsewhere.

A Permanent Resident pays tax on the basis of their worldwide income.

The biggie for elderly parents is Medical Insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

???

A Permanent Resident lives in the US, may occasionally visit elsewhere.

A Permanent Resident pays tax on the basis of their worldwide income.

The biggie for elderly parents is Medical Insurance.

Thank you, for stating this correctly...

Timeline

Thank you, for stating this correctly...

Ok, thank you for clarifying that.

But how else can they come to the US? They have already been denied the tourist visa...

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ok, thank you for clarifying that.

But how else can they come to the US? They have already been denied the tourist visa...

They could immigrate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

They could immigrate.

I will try it again in 6 months, they do not want to immigrate. They only want to visit a few weeks at a time. So i guess we will try until they get it. **sighs**

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.