HannahP

And you thought you were having a bad day...

60 posts in this topic

Good to hear you were not hurt. I would bet that the driveshaft was making noise though...

Most driveshaft problems start with a bad U joint. Those make lots of noise before the fail.

You heard nothing to indicate this was going to fail?

It had been rattling a little moreso than usual about two days before -- but then it stopped. So I figured it would be okay until today, when I was supposed to take it in. Frankly, the car has rattled a bit for about two years (when I bought the car) on and off but my dad drove the car and said that it was okay. Then it was like an earthquake today while on the highway. I probably drove it about a mile or two like that until I could pull off the highway. Maybe I overlooked something else? :/

luckytxn - breaks would have worked had I been in the car. I was basically two feet out of the car when it started to roll (I'd put it in park and taken the keys out) and couldn't hop back in or physically slow the car with my body. You're right about the steering. We ended up having to push it back into a parking spot and obviously it wouldn't steer. I don't know how I got it into the parking lot to begin with except that the opening to the lot was only at a slight angle so I just kinda coasted in. Obviously, I wish that I hadn't been able to do that now!

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good ol´ U-joints. Curiously, is the truck lifted, lowered, or have the suspension altered in any way? Used to have those problems with a lifted bronco with 40 inch tires. If the suspension is altered, other changes must be made as well.

Also dropped the front one on the original 70´s style quadratrack cherokee, un-lifted. A vibration is a good warning sign (usually on the steering wheel and pedals) and as it gets worse the whole truck will start shaking. Then----BAMMM, as you found out. Of course, that is how I learned.

And for the haters, it has nothing to do with brand. My bronco had exagerated angles not addressed and the cherokee was lack of maintainance and lube---with beach driving. Not good for universals.

^nope not altered, I think that the problem was that I just ignored the occasional vibrations because my dad was like "oh it's okay." Until the car fell apart on me. :P Glad someone else had to learn the hard way 'tho! Damn.

So yeah, I've driven LOTS of old Fords that worked. Toyotas too. I'm not particularly biased but maybe I shouldn't be allowed to drive a car at all. Actually, my last car was an old Chevy that ate oil which I didn't realize until the engine seized on me.

/checked the oil regularly on her Ford 'tho

//learning one step at a time....

edit -- I was told that they might be able to fix it which floored me. Fix it because it was the front that dropped and not the back?

Edited by HannahP

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

It had been rattling a little moreso than usual about two days before -- but then it stopped. So I figured it would be okay until today, when I was supposed to take it in. Frankly, the car has rattled a bit for about two years (when I bought the car) on and off but my dad drove the car and said that it was okay. Then it was like an earthquake today while on the highway. I probably drove it about a mile or two like that until I could pull off the highway. Maybe I overlooked something else? :/

luckytxn - breaks would have worked had I been in the car. I was basically two feet out of the car when it started to roll (I'd put it in park and taken the keys out) and couldn't hop back in or physically slow the car with my body. You're right about the steering. We ended up having to push it back into a parking spot and obviously it wouldn't steer. I don't know how I got it into the parking lot to begin with except that the opening to the lot was only at a slight angle so I just kinda coasted in. Obviously, I wish that I hadn't been able to do that now!

so ... the term "e-brake" is not in your vocab ... quit bitchin ... it's your fault.

thank g_d your fault did not hurt anyone ....

Filed: Timeline

Glad you're ok, Hannah. Hopefully you don't let some of the responses here get you down :)

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

so ... the term "e-brake" is not in your vocab ... quit bitchin ... it's your fault.

thank g_d your fault did not hurt anyone ....

Yeah, I'd be able to hit the e-brake if I hadn't been out of the car and watching it roll down the hill. Y'know, with my psychic powers and/or not being 5'4" and 90 lbs. (Tried to slow it with my shoulder so that I COULD hit the emergency brake but got knocked over.)

My fault for relying on my father when he said that the vibrations are normal. Not my fault for realizing that my drive shaft had fallen out or that I couldn't just put it into park afterwards.

Edited by HannahP

Your fault for not eating enough KFC when you had the chance!

I'd be all like OM NOM NOM but I'm a vegetarian, sadly. :(

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah, I'd be able to hit the e-brake if I hadn't been out of the car and watching it roll down the hill. Y'know, with my psychic powers and/or not being 5'4" and 90 lbs. (Tried to slow it with my shoulder so that I COULD hit the emergency brake but got knocked over.)

My fault for relying on my father when he said that the vibrations are normal. Not my fault for realizing that my drive shaft had fallen out or that I couldn't just put it into park afterwards.

blame others for not following a simple rule of setting the e-brake upon exiting the vehicle ...

bugs bunny was right ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Your vegetarianism almost got people killed! :jest:

:rofl:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!