Chr0no

Citizenship how many years?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

3 years from the date of your green card.

You can apply 90 days prior to that 3 year date.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Hi

there are several conditions that have to be presents at the same time.

- 3 yeard of green cards

- being with the same spouse

Please read the following link that has a good and clear explanation for all the If's

uscis / citizen

I am married to a US citizen, this year we are going to be 3 years married. When can I apply for the citizenship? the years are from the date of my marriage or the date on my green card? thanks

The simplest answer is 3 years minus 90 days since you became a Legal Permanent Resident. However, there are additional rules that need to apply before your eligibility is confirmed. Since you are applying based on a marriage to a USC, then you need to have been married to the same person (USC) and then you need to meet two conditions: continuous residency and physical presence. If you meet all these conditions, then you can apply when the 90 day window opens. Make sure that USCIS receives the application after the 90 day window or else they will return it to you indicating that you are still ineligible to apply...

Good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

As per the USCIS instructions the 90 day window only applies to the continuous residency requirement. You still have to be a LPR for the full 3 years at the time you FILE the application.

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

sorry but you are wrong tweety. the requirement is 3 years from the date on the greencard minus 90 days. so actually you can file the application after 2 years and 9 months after the date of approval on the greencard.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

sorry but you are wrong tweety. the requirement is 3 years from the date on the greencard minus 90 days. so actually you can file the application after 2 years and 9 months after the date of approval on the greencard.

You are right - tweety, that was an awful mistake

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

LOL, who do you believe? Could try the www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf manual and also read the N-400 instructions.

You do have to be married to the same sponsoring USC for a full three years before you can send in your application. But can send in the application 90 days in before your 3rd LPR card. The former is normally not a problem, if bring an immigrate spouse or intended spouse here, you have to be married first before your spouse can apply for the LPR card. In our case when the USCIS was running super slow, we were married practically a full year before my wife received her conditional card. If you applied for the I-751 at the earliest day, you should be able to apply for the N-400 exactly one year later. In our case, was the I-751 application date plus two more days. But for the N-400, even adding a few more days doesn't make that much difference, still have your ten year card.

Would have to refresh my memory for the resident requirements, meaning the minimum days you have stayed in this country since becoming a LPR. But they state in the maximum days you can be out of the country. As we only took three two week trips to visit my wife's mom, we had no problems. Important thing is filing a joint income tax return and showing the USCIS you are paying taxes. They like it when you are paying taxes. You need three years of federal returns as the first form of evidence. Could also file separately, but not claiming head of household or the same bunch of kids twice on each return, they don't like that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.