CdnMN

Thinking Canadian in the USA

143 posts in this topic

I'm pretty fortunate, I guess. I have no problem with any of the units of measurements or their conversions. I DO think the Metric system and Celsius make more sense than Imperial, but meh. So it goes. They're all human constructs anyhow, and completely relative.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

it's true, I am still always interested in cultural difference between Canada and the US, it'll never stop intriguing me. I mean just the other I said "We used to play soccer baseball in gym class" and my American friends and husband included looked at my like I was crazy! They call it kick ball. It's always funny when things like that happen. Same with at work the other day I said, "freezie" and everyone was like huh? I'm like ohhh right "freeze pops"

My husband calls them "otter pops" :blink: Anyone else ever heard of that? I think he's crazy.

He also likes to call Mini Putt, "Putt Putt Golf"

I'm still having a hard time calling pop "soda".

Good thing my husband knows what I mean, my other friends within the US say, "What?"

And yes, my friend in Idaho calls freezies "Otter Pops". I had no clue what she was talking about until she doodled herself eating one :lol:

Edited by Rhiannercakes

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband calls them "otter pops" :blink: Anyone else ever heard of that? I think he's crazy.

Yes they are called Otter pops and I always have had a freezer filled with them. Thanks for reminding me though, I need to go out and buy more.

To learn the conversion easily of temperatures to Celcius I actually learned that subtract 30 and divide it on a Bob and Doug Mackenzie album.

When I tell my friend in Canada I'm having Mac and Cheese for dinner, she always goes oh KD. I'm like who? She says Kraft Dinner, and I'm like no, Kraft Mac and Cheese. Guess the box titles are different and theirs actually say Kraft Dinner on the box, so now I refer to having KMC or VMC if it's Valveeta brand. She hates me now for that.

In school the game was called kickball. Never heard of soccer baseball before either. Might have been a regional thing in Canada then where it's called by different names...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

I looked the other day an the mac n cheese actually say "Kraft Mac n Cheese Dinner" on the boxes down here :D

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Then there is "speaking Minnesotan."

My wife will say stuff like "Do you want to come with."? And I'm left standing there waiting for the end of the sentence.

LPR since 2003 and will be applying for Naturalization soon. Currently working on I-130 for my son.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Speaking of sports what about wiffle ball? I had never heard of it living in Canada.

Is that with those random plastic catchy things and the plastic ball with the holes??

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Is that with those random plastic catchy things and the plastic ball with the holes??

:rofl:

For some reason this struck me as funny

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Yea I had seen them before in Canada, like at Biway and Giant Tiger but I assumed it was baseball for poor folks. :lol:

We never called it wiffle ball.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yea I had seen them before in Canada, like at Biway and Giant Tiger but I assumed it was baseball for poor folks. :lol:

We never called it wiffle ball.

Okay I googled wiffle ball and I'm not talking about the same thing, and I can't locate a picture of what I'm talking about because..."random plastic catchy things" is not a very good search term, LOL.

I've never heard of wiffle ball, I mean I've heard the name... but never seen it played after googling.

The game I'm talking about was in gym class... they were like banana shaped cather thingys and we use to roll around on these square seat things with wheels... and use a white plastic ball with holes in it.... I wish I knew the name!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I tell my friend in Canada I'm having Mac and Cheese for dinner, she always goes oh KD. I'm like who? She says Kraft Dinner, and I'm like no, Kraft Mac and Cheese. Guess the box titles are different and theirs actually say Kraft Dinner on the box, so now I refer to having KMC or VMC if it's Valveeta brand. She hates me now for that.

My husband actually makes fun of that fact that Canadians use the brand name of many items instead of the actual product...such as Kraft Dinner for Mac and Cheese or saying Kleenex when asking for a tissue.

He notices the little things while in Canada...like Mr. Christie products are Nabisco in the States but with the exact same logo. Or his biggest pet peeve...the fact that our peanut butter cups say Reese on the package, not Reese's.

Met in 2004 at a Dave Matthews Band concert, started dating November 2005, engaged February 2009 and married November 14, 2009. Together in the US on March 19th 2011

CR-1 journey

USCIS: (170 days)

2010-03-27: I-130 sent

2010-09-23: NOA2

NVC: (93 days)

2010-10-06: NVC Case Number assigned

2011-01-05: SIF and Case Completion!

2011-02-15: Medical in Toronto

2011-03-07: Interview approved (335 days from NOA1)

2011-03-10: Passport received

2011-03-19: POE - Buffalo, NY

2011-03-28: SSN received

2011-03-31: USCIS Welcome

2011-04-05: Conditional Green Card received

2012-11-30: Notice to file I-751 received

2012-12-12: I-751 (Remove of Conditions) sent

2013-08-16: Conditions removed. 10 year Permanent Resident Card received

Timeline

Okay I googled wiffle ball and I'm not talking about the same thing, and I can't locate a picture of what I'm talking about because..."random plastic catchy things" is not a very good search term, LOL.

I've never heard of wiffle ball, I mean I've heard the name... but never seen it played after googling.

The game I'm talking about was in gym class... they were like banana shaped cather thingys and we use to roll around on these square seat things with wheels... and use a white plastic ball with holes in it.... I wish I knew the name!

I know what you're talking about, they look like a scoop!

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.