CdnMN

Thinking Canadian in the USA

143 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Me too!!! :lol: Pocahontas and Lion King ones were the best! I had a bunch of Casper ones too.

OMG!!! I had a TON of Casper pogs!!!! I think they are still in my dad's house too... My brother had whatever "boy version" of pogs back then... we spent all our allowance on them!

Wow this entire thread had taken a life of its own! :lol:

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You nerd....as a man you cannot address a group of women with 'Hi girls'......I can....but that's because i am one of them :)

What a bizarre twist to go into whiffle ball and tether ball....

I had a good debate with my parents last night. They live in Canada. Dad got a motorcycle last summer. Mom is getting one this upcoming summer. So I had them both on the phone and asked them if they thought people should have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

Dad: Should be up to the rider. I went for a drive around the neighbourhood without one and couldn't believe how much more alert I was. Could see more peripheral. And it was a much more pleasant ride.

Mom: Absolutely not! Because if you screw up, we have to pay for it.

At this point I said that in Texas, you can legally ride without a helmet if you meet one of the following criteria.

1) You have $10,000 in medical insurance on your motorcycle insurance plan.

2) You've taken a motorcycle safety course.

It's hard to characterize an entire country's way of thinking when both the USA and Canada are so large and have different areas. NOBODY has ever accused Newfoundlanders of being rude..... Toronto? Hahahaha

I almost find things are too nice in Texas. At work (hospital) EVERYBODY says sir and maam to coworkers in different departments. For me, sir and maam has always been more for use talking to older people or in customer service. But not to co-workers. And everybody is so darned talkative in the morning. Oh hi, how are you!!! (Me: Ugh, it's 6AM. Just nod or say hi). Maybe it's because I used to work for Germans when I lived in Canada. 5AM shift start. You said hello when you walked in the door and then you went to work. Nobody said anything to each other until around 8AM. Partly because it was early. Partly because there was a lot of work to be done. Personally I like this style. I come to work to work, not to socialize. And I want to get on the go and start working as soon as I get there.

Back to Texas....I got my head chewed off the other day. I walked in and said "hi girls" to a group of females that I work with every day. They turned to me in disgust and said "don't call us girls, we're ladies."

Now where I'm from (BC), girls is a friendly saying towards co-workers. A youthful happy way of describing a group. Ladies is more for senior citizens and separate groups of people that you don't really belong to. Same with males. I liked it when my boss would come in and say hey boys, hows it going today?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Walk into a room full of girls and in your best Beastie Boys impression yell: "HEY LADIES"

That always gets them smilin... :P

How about Jerry Lewis impression instead? :P

Next time I'll refer to them as old ladies, just to rub it in.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Walk into a room full of girls and in your best Beastie Boys impression yell: "HEY LADIES"

That always gets them smilin... :P

Or your best Isaiah-Mustafa-from-the-Old-Spice-commercial "HELLO LADIES." :lol:

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

My husband actually makes fun of that fact that Canadians use the brand name of many items instead of the actual product...such as Kraft Dinner for Mac and Cheese or saying Kleenex when asking for a tissue.

He notices the little things while in Canada...like Mr. Christie products are Nabisco in the States but with the exact same logo. Or his biggest pet peeve...the fact that our peanut butter cups say Reese on the package, not Reese's.

And Yet Americans do the same "Otter Pop" is a brand name of popcicle.

I always thought it was universal to do that

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

And Yet Americans do the same "Otter Pop" is a brand name of popcicle.

I always thought it was universal to do that

Otter Pop (US) = Mr Freezie (Can).

Though there is a total differnce with the blue ones. In Canada for some odd reason the blue ones always made me cough.

Another huge difference is there is no white cream soda variation with Otter Pops. Those are actually my favorite, so I always get those when I'm up in Canada. Guess white cream soda isn't very popular down here...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, TOTALLY outing myself on the age thing here, but remember these?!! I was covered in bruises. :lol:

OUCH __ weren't they callled Clackers or Klackers??? :crying:

June /09 visit to my long time friend in usa during vacation

June/09 us old folks eloped

Dec 11/09 I485+130 filed to chicago lockbox

Dec 18/09 I-797's (NOA)

Dec 24/09 letter for biometrics appt

Jan 11/10 biometrics appt

Jan 29/10 request for interview (I-485)

Mar 9/10 interview for I-485] APPROVED

Mar 10/10 emails and updates - card production ordered

Mar 17/10 welcome letter rec'd

Mar 19/10 green card rec'd

Mar 29/10 applied in person for SSN

Apr 3/10 rec'd SSN

done for 18 months whew

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.