CdnMN

Thinking Canadian in the USA

143 posts in this topic

Well, I've been here over a month now, and while I notice some differences like the ones noted above, I haven't found it to be a very difficult transition at all. By and large, people are nice when you talk nicely to them...and already in my job I've had to talk to a LOT of people, and in a few instances to chase down money they owe. True, it's more of an upper-middle class organization, but I've also noticed this in a more general sense.

Some people DO seem a bit dumber down here though. Jaywalking across busy freeways...driving badly...just general lack of attention or consideration. For the most part though, I don't mind the change of environment. I can't believe how little I miss Canada, to be honest... Hope that doesn't sound like heresy on this board!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Timeline

I think that it's much more difficult to accept the differences between Canada and the US because we have such close ties and expect things to be similar. Most of us lived near the border and travelled back and forth quite readily, and saw that the differences really weren't that great. (Except for the sales! Gotta love the US sales! lol) Once you start moving into the interior of both countries, you find marked differences. When I travel to other countries I expect there to be cultural differences so I am not bothered when there are. But because I expect things to quasi remain the same between Canada and the US, I sometimes go into a state of semi-shock..... "What do you mean they do it that way?? It's done this way in Canada!!" Once you get past the fact that you are in a different country.... and not just an extension of Canada.... and vice versa.... you settle down. star_smile.gif

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

While the US says it practices separation of Church and State it has been my experience that it does anything but - Church and State are very much married to each other in politics and daily life.

There is no official, complete "separation of church and state" in the United States. The Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses of the First Amendment to the US Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Very little of what is often described as being a violation of separation of church and state makes any attempt to impose a government religion or prevent anyone from following their own religion, thus, most of the things people complain about in this regard are completely legal.

(Admittedly, "very little" and "most" are weasel words here; I can't and wouldn't give a free pass to any action solely on the grounds of religious freedom.)

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

No disrepect intended, but whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about. The 2nd ammendment was written at the time because the U.S. did not have a standing, professional army. The British had previously tried to ban the ownership of guns to prevent any rebellion. This was to combat that. Today, a lot of conservative and gun enthusiasts mistakenly interpret that to mean that the founding fathers of this nation wrote it in there to support rebellion against an overbearing government.

Wrong.....It doesn't take alot of study to clearly understand the intent. The Second Ammendment is specifically to prevent tyrrany within our own government first and foremost, and has been upheld by the Supreme court to be an individual right.

Timeline

It is good to remember that the United States is a HUGE country with many different regions and many different sub-cultures. What you encounter in one area is likely entirely different in other areas. Just as a Canadian from B.C. is very different than a Canadian from Quebec, an American from say New York stands out like a sore thumb here in Alaska, and I'm sure I didn't fit in when I went to New York city!

In my experience, people from the rural areas tend to be laid back and courteous, whereas the folks from urban areas are not..... VERY generally speaking.

Timeline

This one really frustrates me. Sometimes I think people here are incapable of seeing things from another person's perspective. As long as their needs are taken care of, who cares about anyone else. And what is good enough for me, is good enough for you - circumstances be damned. It's almost unreal. I had to stop myself from reading the news so much, because when I would read the comments on the news stories, I'd start having physical responses to the anger I felt from the ignorance and stupidity that some people spout. I feel like back in Canada, there wasn't as much of that. Or at least, I could respect other people's opinions because they were based on something. With the heathcare debate, a lot of people are really against the bill (even though it is now a LAW), but they couldn't even articulate why.

And the funny part is, almost all of our friends are conservative. I have a perfect example of my frustration. A wife of a friend posted on her facebook the other day, and here is how the conversation went :

K "Make no mistake, a 'yes' vote on the Democrats' health care bill is a vote for taxpayer-funded abortions."- tis the truth! As a catholic and as woman I find this revolting....pro-life all the way~!

23 March at 12:52 ·

M But there is an existing law prohibiting federal funds for abortions, there is nothing in the heathcare bill that mentions that, AND the President himself signed an executive order reaffirming that no government money will be used...? Why do you think this?23 March at 13:56 ·

K An executive order won't supersede legislation passed by Congress and courts will look to the legislation rather than the executive order when ruling on federally funded abortions.23 March at 18:47

M I know, but there already is legislation. The Hyde amendment. Google it. The executive order was just overkill to try ease the minds of over-zealous republicans.23 March at 19:05 ·

K Whatever it may be I don't trust Obama. He is a liar and a snake. He's represents everything I don't believe in. Thanks for your thoughts though! :)23 March at 19:10

Since when did BELIEF hold more weight than FACT?

The Hyde Amendment is a legislative provision barring the use of certain federal funds to pay for abortions. It is not a permanent law, rather it is a "rider" that, in various forms, has been routinely attached to annual appropriations bills since 1976. The Hyde Amendment applies only to funds allocated by the annual appropriations bill for the Department of Health and Human Services. It primarily affects Medicaid.

The Senate bill passed by the House on March 21, 2010 did not contain that Hyde Amendment language. As part of an agreement between Rep. Bart Stupak and President Obama to secure Stupak's vote, the President issued an executive order on March 24, 2010 affirming that the Hyde Amendment would extend to the new bill.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another one - and it may just be region specific - but the focus on religion. There are more churches here than there were Tim Horton's back home (ok, that was a joke!), but there are literally churches everywhere from the small cornerstore church to the mega-churches - in shopping malls, industrial parks, on 3 out of 4 street corners . . . . there are 4 different churches at the entrance to our subdivision beside each other and across the road from each other. While the US says it practices separation of Church and State it has been my experience that it does anything but - Church and State are very much married to each other in politics and daily life. And at the risk of raising ire, I don't see a lot of those 'Christian values" that were practiced by the Churches back home practiced here: intolerance, greed, vanity, judgment and fear seem to be at the core of many of these church's messages. I am not religious but my mother was and I remember her quiet faith that she lived every day of her life - tolerance, kindness, generosity and helping others regardless of who they were, where they lived, what they believed or in what situation they found themself. She didn't need recognition; she didn't need praise; she didn't need to make a big public statement that she was doing this in the name of Jesus or God - she didn't need anyone to know - her religion was between her and God and shared by the congregation at Church. Religion here is just - so 'in your face' - and if you don't believe what they believe you are one of 'them' and not 'us'. I am sorry if anyone feels offended by this observation, but it is another difference I have noted between Canada and the US - the attitude towards religion.

To be fair, the intolerance, greed, fear, etc. is probably either regional or based on the religion in question. Granted, there are a few of those ones here, but at least my wife's religion is pretty accepting and doesn't just declare people damned if they don't agree. The focus is much more on helping people than fire and brimstone.

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Re: the religion issue...

I DO agree that I feel less comfortable saying, conversationally, that I'm an atheist down here. I have a sense that a thing like that matters a tad more here than it does to most Canadians. Some people forget that freedom of religion also includes the freedom to not have one. :)

Then again, the Canadian "constitution" has a preamble that "recognize the supremacy of God", while the U.S. one is a bit more vague about such things.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

Re: the religion issue...

I DO agree that I feel less comfortable saying, conversationally, that I'm an atheist down here. I have a sense that a thing like that matters a tad more here than it does to most Canadians. Some people forget that freedom of religion also includes the freedom to not have one. :)

Then again, the Canadian "constitution" has a preamble that "recognize the supremacy of God", while the U.S. one is a bit more vague about such things.

That reminds me....regarding separation of church and state...its not a separate as it should be (or as we're used to in Canada). The election was a good example...everyone was concerned about which church the Obamas will attend, going to a prayer breakfast for political leaders in Washington is a tradition (freaks me out myself)....In Cdn politics do we ever wonder what religion the PM is? Does anyone even know if Stephen Harper goes to church or a synagogue or a temnple for that matter? I think as long as he's not sacrificing virgins in the backyard at 21 Sussex....I don't care what he's doing religiously.

Just a non-issue for me...but boy do foolks down here get worked up about it...and yet if you asked them, they'd say it was a private matter.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I miss thinking in "Celsius". I haven't been in the U.S. that long for pete's sake (well 2-1/2 years); however, I find that I have to keep my mind refreshed by googling the weather on a frequent basis to get the temp conversion.

Removal of Conditions

04-14-10 I751 Application sent

04-19-10 NOA1

06-01-10 Biometrics in Detroit

08-10-10 Card Production Order

08-24-10 Green Card Received

AOS Journey

10-06-07 POE Detroit

10-12-07 Married

10-19-07 Mailed AOS Package

10-24-07 AOS package delivered

10-29-07 NOA1 Date

11-07-07 Applied for SSN, Received within 2 weeks

12-11-07 Biometrics in Detroit

12-21-07 I-485 Transferred to CSC

12-31-07 I-765 Card Production Ordered; I-131 Approved

01-07-08 I-131 Received

01-10-08 I-765 Approval Notice Sent

01-12-08 I-765 Received

02-21-08 RFE - Medical

03-18-08 RFE returned

04-07-08 RFE received at CSC

07-15-08 Card Production Order

07-21-08 Green Card Received

K1 Journey

09-12-06 I129F Application sent

09-20-06 NOA1, Receipt Notice

01-22-07 NOA2, Approval Notice

02-08-07 Petition forwarded to Mtl

03-02-07 Pkg 3 Received

03-17-07 Pkg 3 Returned

08-15-07 Montreal Interview, APPROVED

09-11-07 Visa Received

Timeline

Politics are way more extreme down here. I won't even get into it, it's actually caused a riff between my husband and his cousin. Husband is a democrat, his cousin is a republican... they pretty much hate eachother.

In Canada I had many conservative friends, and we all got along, but down here I just get the feeling that you don't really mix with that other side, and if you do, you don't talk about politics because it gets ugly.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wrong.....It doesn't take alot of study to clearly understand the intent. The Second Ammendment is specifically to prevent tyrrany within our own government first and foremost, and has been upheld by the Supreme court to be an individual right.

You're taking a gun advocates opinion on this, which you're entitled to. But you're still wrong. The second amendment was not written to enable its citizens to revolt.

Timeline

You're taking a gun advocates opinion on this, which you're entitled to. But you're still wrong. The second amendment was not written to enable its citizens to revolt.

Well, as I stated before, it doesn't take alot of digging to prove you wrong. The Federalist papers were writings of the founders that essentially clarified their intent regarding certain matters so there would be no confusion. I could fill these pages with evidence to support my position.

Alexander Hamilton in Federalist #29 addresses this.

Hamilton clearly states there exists a right of self-defense against a tyrannical government, and it includes the people with their own arms and adds:

"[T]he people, without exaggeration, may be said to be entirely the masters of their own fate. Power being almost always the rival of power, the general government will at all times stand ready to check the usurpations of the state governments, and these will have the same disposition towards the general government. The people by throwing themselves into either scale, will infallibly make it preponderate. If their rights are invaded by either, they can make use of the other as the instrument of redress. How wise will it be in them by cherishing the union to preserve to themselves an advantage which can never be too highly prized!"

In Federalist #28, Hamilton wrote;

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons entrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."

...and as I stated before, the Supreme court has upheld this right. Just because YOU don't want it to be true, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.