italiano19

USCIS AOS interview (language)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello all,

I have attempted to search throughout the forum for language barriers regarding the AOS interview. My Colombian fiancee...I mean wife and I have gone through most of the K1 process coming up on the final stretch now...we married the end of March and will be doing going through the AOS process shortly but I have a couple of questions for you all and I hope you can help me with.

1) My wife and I will be going to Social Security offices to see if we can get one started for her followed by filling out the forms for the AOS at a later date...I know they need her birth certificates translated from Spanish to English but I'm fluent can I "certify" that they are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge or does it have to be some notary that does this or issuing agency which I believe maybe a major problem if this is true. (more time)

2) When the AOS interview does come up is it a requirement that my wife speaks or understand english? Yes I know Welcome to America now speak English but during this entire K1 process not one document said my fiancee at the time or wife must speak a word of english...even though we are working on that now thanks to Rosetta Stone. And I know when you go to another country like Italia its highly recommended to speak the language or try to be as fluent as possible if you plan on residing there for some time.

Thank you so much for your help

Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My experience at SSA with foreign language forms is that they want their own translation done by their own people. They only accepted my certified translation of my marriage certificate because they could not find another person or agency capable of translating Thai. It took nearly 3 months. Her BC is Spanish, though. It should be a shorter wait period and easier for them to find translators.

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

You do not have to present a birth certificate to the social security office to get a social security number if she entered on a K1. A passport will do. However, since you married before she got her ssn, it may be alittle more difficult to get. If she is changing her last name to yours, they will not give her a ssn. She will have to wait until her EAD or green card comes in the mail with her new last name. If she is not changing her name and her I94 is more than two weeks from being expired, I would go to the office and try.

01.09.10 Married

02.01.10 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago! (day 1)

02.02.10 - Delivered to Chicago per USPS delivery confirmation/signature @ 11:30a

02.10.10 - Check cashed (day 9)

02.12.10 - Recieved NOA in the mail for AOS, EAD, AP (dated 2/8/10: Day 1)

02.16.10- Biometrics appointment for 3.4.10 (dated 2.11.10)

02.18.10 - Early biometrics! walk-in (day 10)

02.22.10 - RFE for Medical (dated 2.18.10)

02.23.10 - Infopass (not helpful)

02.26.10 - Sent reply to RFE for I 693 to Lee's Summit and sent letter to senator (day 18)

03.01.10 - Delivery confirmation for RFE by Lee's summit and senator

03.04.10 - Status update: Case has resumed; letter from senator stating case is with adjunctor(day 24 )

03.08.10 - AOS application transferred to CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER... No updates on EAD or AP (day 28)

03.13.10 - touch on 485/ 3.15.10 - touch on 485/ 3.16.10 - touch on 485/ 3.17.10 - touch on 485!!! (day 37)

03.29.10 - Day 49 from notice date of NOA.... day 58 from filing

04.06.10 - AP approved and EAD card production ordered!!! (Day 56)

04.08.10 - touch on AP...... 04.09.10- touch on EAD (second card production notice) and AOS

04.10.10 - AP arrived in the mail

04.13.10 - EAD approval notice online and card in the mail

07.10.10 - A TOUCH!!! (on AOS)

08.06.10 - Another touch

08.17.10- AOS approved!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

For the AOS interview the interpreter CANNOT be the spouse.

moving thread to AOS forum, an entire forum dedicated to the AOS process

Yes, absolutely not for reasons that will probably seem obvious with a little thought. In our case, my stepdaughter (Age 19 at the time) who was also interviewing was allowed to be the translator though. We checked this out in advance by email directly with the local office. I would just take a bilingual friend along.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

7 posts removed at the request of the original poster. Posts quoting removed items also removed as well as one post that now made no sense :) , but the contents relevant to the thread are returned here through cut and paste:

Мартышк+Мартышка: To the OP:

You can interpret for her, I think. Just make sure, all the forms you

fill out for her, you go over them with her and explain everything that

is written there.

Payxibka: For the AOS interview the interpreter CANNOT be the spouse.

moving thread to AOS forum, an entire forum dedicated to the AOS process

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only time she will *need* to know how to speak,read and write english is for if she desides to become a naturalized american citizen. When they do the citizenship exam thats when she needs to speak,read and write english infront of the tester/interviewer person.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.