nats6624

How do i find a Canadian Embassy/Consulate in the US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I need to find a Canadian Embassy/Consulate in Utah. I tried googling it but couldn't find one.

USPS sent AOS and I-130-2/20/2010

Arrived and received-2/22/2010

Checks Cashed-3/3/2010

All 3 NOA's Received-3/4/2010

All Forms Touched-3/4/2010

Biometrics Letter-3/11/2010 Appointment date 3/25/2010

I-130 and I-765 Touched-3/11/2010 though no e-mail update hmm.

Biometrics completed Walk-in-03/16/2010

I-485 and I-765 Touched-03/17/2010

Interview Letter-04/02/2010 for May 4th,2010

I-130 and I-485 Touched-04/23/2010

EAD Approved Card Ordered-5/3/2010

Interview-5/4/2010...APPROVED!!

Welcome Letter-5/10/2010

I-130 Approval Notice-5/10/2010

Green Card production Ordered Again-5/11/2010

EAD Received-5/24/2010

GREEN CARD RECEIVED FINALLY!!!-06/01/2010

Sent I-751 ROC-05/01/2012

Received and signed-05/02/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I need to find a Canadian Embassy/Consulate in Utah. I tried googling it but couldn't find one.

Looks like Utah residents are serviced by Canadian consulate in Denver.

http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=canadaonline&cdn=newsissues&tm=27&gps=157_925_1260_868&f=00&su=p649.3.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&st=23&zu=http%3A//www.canadainternational.gc.ca/denver/index.aspx%3Flang%3Deng

02-09-2007 : Marriage

I-130 Stage (Filed while I was on Green card)

California Service Center

06-11-2007 : I-130 Sent

08-04-2009 : I-130 Approved

NVC Stage

09-04-2009 : NVC Received

09-08-2009 : NVC case# assigned (Waiting game begins to Upgrade my case to IR-1)

01-22-2010 : Became U.S. citizen (Sent request to upgrade petition from F2A to IR-1 catagory)

02-17-2010 : Case finally upgraded to IR-1

03-20-2010 : Case complete

04-12-2010 : Receiced interview notice.

Chennai Consulate Stage

05-01-2010: Medical

05-04-2010: Interview Approved!!!!!!

05-21-2010: POE at San Francisco

06-21-2010: Received GC in mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is not one... the one that covers Utah is located in Denver

YMMV

Timeline

Yeah i just called them and they can't help me with what i need. I need to get a police clearance from Canada while i am in the US and everyone i call seems unhelpful.

Edited by nats6624

Checks Cashed-3/3/2010

Welcome Letter-5/10/2010

EAD Received-5/24/2010

I dont see any listed in Utah.

Saw a listing for Canadian Consulate General in Denver and San Fransisco. Probably the closest.

The Canadian Embassy is in DC. I checked the Canadian Embassy website and don't see any offices nearer to you.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

You wouldn't contact the consulate for that, since you are in the U.S., you will have to get the fingerprint version from the RCMP, even if you have no criminal record - this can take up to three months btw.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr-eng.htm

Police Records link

Inside Canada: Applicants who are physically present in Canada should contact their local police service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) office regarding criminal record check procedures. Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant’s name and date of birth. Applicants should ensure that the search includes all names that they have previously used, including maiden names, prior married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization. (Note: Because records checks based on name and date of birth only are sometimes less thorough than those based on fingerprints, U.S. diplomatic offices reserve the right to request that certain applicants obtain fingerprint-based searches from the RCMP.)

Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in Canada must contact their local RCMP office to obtain a “Certified Criminal Record Check,” which lists an applicant’s criminal history, indicating the section of the Canadian Criminal Code under which the applicant was charged, the disposition of the case, and the penalty imposed, if any. Obtaining a Certified Criminal Records Check requires submission of a fingerprint chart; the RCMP could take between two and twelve months to process a request for a Certified Criminal Record Check. (Note: If a namecheck by a police agency reveals a conviction record, that agency may be unwilling to issue a certificate and may refer the applicant to the RCMP for a Certified Criminal Record Check.)

Canadian pardons have no effect under U.S. law. Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in Canada that was subsequently pardoned must contact an RCMP office to obtain both a Certified Criminal Record Check and copies of their pardoned criminal record. Additional information is available online.

Outside Canada: Applicants who are not physically present in Canada must obtain a Certified Criminal Record Check by sending a duplicate set of fingerprints (taken by a local police force) to the RCMP. Fingerprint submissions must include the following:

rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers taken with black ink (may use a standard FD-258 FBI fingerprint card)

full name, date of birth, and sex of the applicant

the name and address of the police agency taking the fingerprints

the signature of the official taking the fingerprints

the reason for the fingerprint submission (U.S. visa)

the processing fee of CAD 25.00 or USD 18.00, payable to the "Receiver General for Canada" by certified check or money order.

Fingerprint submissions should be sent to: RCMP, Civil Fingerprint Screening Services, P.O. Box 8885, Ottawa, ON, K1G 3M8. Additional information is available online.

Special note for applicants who reside or resided in Newfoundland and Labrador: The RCMP did not operate in Newfoundland before April 1, 1949. Therefore, applicants who were age sixteen or over in 1949 and who resided anywhere in Newfoundland and Labrador for six months or longer after reaching the age of sixteen must obtain a Good Conduct Certificate issued by the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC). Applicants should inquire at RNC offices in St. John’s, Corner Brook, Churchill Falls, or Labrador City, or may contact the RNC at: Headquarters, Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, 1 Fort Townshend, St. John’s, NL, A1C 2G2, tel: 709-729-8000.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Hi,

You wouldn't contact the consulate for that, since you are in the U.S., you will have to get the fingerprint version from the RCMP, even if you have no criminal record - this can take up to three months btw.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr-eng.htm

Police Records link

Inside Canada: Applicants who are physically present in Canada should contact their local police service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) office regarding criminal record check procedures. Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant’s name and date of birth. Applicants should ensure that the search includes all names that they have previously used, including maiden names, prior married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization. (Note: Because records checks based on name and date of birth only are sometimes less thorough than those based on fingerprints, U.S. diplomatic offices reserve the right to request that certain applicants obtain fingerprint-based searches from the RCMP.)

Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in Canada must contact their local RCMP office to obtain a “Certified Criminal Record Check,” which lists an applicant’s criminal history, indicating the section of the Canadian Criminal Code under which the applicant was charged, the disposition of the case, and the penalty imposed, if any. Obtaining a Certified Criminal Records Check requires submission of a fingerprint chart; the RCMP could take between two and twelve months to process a request for a Certified Criminal Record Check. (Note: If a namecheck by a police agency reveals a conviction record, that agency may be unwilling to issue a certificate and may refer the applicant to the RCMP for a Certified Criminal Record Check.)

Canadian pardons have no effect under U.S. law. Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in Canada that was subsequently pardoned must contact an RCMP office to obtain both a Certified Criminal Record Check and copies of their pardoned criminal record. Additional information is available online.

Outside Canada: Applicants who are not physically present in Canada must obtain a Certified Criminal Record Check by sending a duplicate set of fingerprints (taken by a local police force) to the RCMP. Fingerprint submissions must include the following:

rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers taken with black ink (may use a standard FD-258 FBI fingerprint card)

full name, date of birth, and sex of the applicant

the name and address of the police agency taking the fingerprints

the signature of the official taking the fingerprints

the reason for the fingerprint submission (U.S. visa)

the processing fee of CAD 25.00 or USD 18.00, payable to the "Receiver General for Canada" by certified check or money order.

Fingerprint submissions should be sent to: RCMP, Civil Fingerprint Screening Services, P.O. Box 8885, Ottawa, ON, K1G 3M8. Additional information is available online.

Special note for applicants who reside or resided in Newfoundland and Labrador: The RCMP did not operate in Newfoundland before April 1, 1949. Therefore, applicants who were age sixteen or over in 1949 and who resided anywhere in Newfoundland and Labrador for six months or longer after reaching the age of sixteen must obtain a Good Conduct Certificate issued by the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC). Applicants should inquire at RNC offices in St. John’s, Corner Brook, Churchill Falls, or Labrador City, or may contact the RNC at: Headquarters, Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, 1 Fort Townshend, St. John’s, NL, A1C 2G2, tel: 709-729-8000.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Checks Cashed-3/3/2010

Welcome Letter-5/10/2010

EAD Received-5/24/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in the Salt Lake City area. I just had my fingerprints taken for the background check for a teaching certification. The State Office of Education said to go here:

Bureau of Criminal Identification

(1 block west of Bangerter Highway) 3888 West 5400 South

West Valley, UT

Monday - Thursday, 7 am to 6 pm

I didn't need an appointment. In addition to keeping electronic scans (the whole process is inkless - very similar to the way the USCIS biometrics office operates) they gave me three copies of my fingerprints on cards. Unfortunately I don't have their phone number, but it can't be too hard to find. :)

I suspect, for a nominal fee, they'll be able to give you fingerprint cards you can send to the RCMP for the background check. You'll probably be able to walk out of the building with them. As noted above, though, it probably will take a couple of months to hear back from the RCMP once you send them in.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.