claro

petition for step-daughter

9 posts in this topic

My spouse and I would like to petition to bring his 8 year old daughter to the US from Nicaragua. My step-childs mother has lived in Spain for the last 6 years (since the child was 2 years old), and has a husband and child in Spain so doesn't plan to return to Nicaragua. My step-child was left by the mother in Nicaragua to be cared for by the mothers grandmother. I don't see anything that mentions what, if any, documentation is needed indicating consent by the childs mother to bring her to the US? Is any documentation required with the I-130 that indicates that the mother grants her consent for the father and I to bring their daughter to the US?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My spouse and I would like to petition to bring his 8 year old daughter to the US from Nicaragua. My step-childs mother has lived in Spain for the last 6 years (since the child was 2 years old), and has a husband and child in Spain so doesn't plan to return to Nicaragua. My step-child was left by the mother in Nicaragua to be cared for by the mothers grandmother. I don't see anything that mentions what, if any, documentation is needed indicating consent by the childs mother to bring her to the US? Is any documentation required with the I-130 that indicates that the mother grants her consent for the father and I to bring their daughter to the US?

no documentation needed with the I-130 but a notarized statement of approval from the biological mother probably will be needed come consulate interview time

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

no documentation needed with the I-130 but a notarized statement of approval from the biological mother probably will be needed come consulate interview time

Yes, will be needed at interview time.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline

Yes, will be needed at interview time.

probably... it will be based on individual facts, circumstances and country specific (local) rules

YMMV

probably... it will be based on individual facts, circumstances and country specific (local) rules

Thank-you very much. Since the mother is in Spain it would take some time to get a form to her, have her sign with notary, and return to Nicaragua. Can you direct me to a place where I can find out more about this specific to Nicaragua? Perhaps I can contact the Nicaraguan consulate if that is the place to contact?... or is it something that may or may not come up and won't be known until interview time?.. or will they let us know in advance of the interview? Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank-you very much. Since the mother is in Spain it would take some time to get a form to her, have her sign with notary, and return to Nicaragua. Can you direct me to a place where I can find out more about this specific to Nicaragua? Perhaps I can contact the Nicaraguan consulate if that is the place to contact?... or is it something that may or may not come up and won't be known until interview time?.. or will they let us know in advance of the interview? Thanks again.

Not sure about Nicaragua as far as the child leaving, However if you are doing the I-130 once it gets to the NVC stage they will request this document from the ohter parent, best to send it along with the DS-230. This helps to avoid and RFE as we received when we applied for the boys.

When the boys left Colombia they needed an adtional document when they left the airport giving permission to the minor to leave the country with only one parent.

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Timeline

e-mail the consulate and ask...

YMMV

Not sure about Nicaragua as far as the child leaving, However if you are doing the I-130 once it gets to the NVC stage they will request this document from the ohter parent, best to send it along with the DS-230. This helps to avoid and RFE as we received when we applied for the boys.

When the boys left Colombia they needed an adtional document when they left the airport giving permission to the minor to leave the country with only one parent.

Does VJ have an example letter for the two cases you described?

1. notorized statement of approval from the biological parent consenting to their child being taken to the US to live with the other biological parent on a K-3 Visa. (one parent, my spouse, will be coming to live with me; the other parent, the childs mother, lives in Spain with her current husband).

2. notorized statement of approval from one biological parent giving permission to the minor to leave the country with only one parent. (in my case only one parent is in Nicaragua, the other is in Spain.)

Or perhaps it the document is as simple as the one sentence you described?

Thank-you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.