braindrain

Minimum stay required in USA after the first entry on immigration visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I'm a newbie on this website but the information exchanged on this website is quite precise and useful for a first step of guidance. (Thanks to whoso ever managing this portal).

Question:-

I'm continuing my studies in sydney and hopefully I'll get my immigration visa (F4 category) sorted out by end of this month, hopefully. As I'm in continuation of my studies I was wandering how many days of stay is alteast required in USA. I would like to return back in sydney as soon as possible.

Cheers

Braindrain

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I think what you're looking for is the length of time for your Adjustment of Status. This typically takes around 5 months I believe (check processing times on this site). During your AOS processing, you are not allowed to leave the US. You apply for AOS upon approval of immigration visas.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

Hi All,

I'm a newbie on this website but the information exchanged on this website is quite precise and useful for a first step of guidance. (Thanks to whoso ever managing this portal).

I'm continuing my studies in sydney and hopefully I'll get my immigration visa (F4 category) sorted out by end of this month, hopefully. As I'm in continuation of my studies I was wandering how many days of stay is alteast required in USA. I would like to return back in sydney as soon as possible.

Cheers

Braindrain

As an F4 (sibling of USC) immigrant you enter USA and you get your Green Card within a few weeks in the mail. I don't believe you are required to stay a certain amount of time, but when you return you have to have your GC with you.

Edited by SweetApple08

I-130 Sent : 08/15/2006 F2A (spouse of LPR)

I-130 Approved : 03/29/2010

AOS data section: Filed I-485 & I-765 (more details see About Me section)

04/30/2010 - Mailed out

06/02/2010 - RFE

08/11/2010 - Interview Date - APPROVED

08/23/2010 - Green Card at Home :)

Hubby's USC

Service Center : Dallas TX ; CIS Office : New York City NY

05/29/2010 - Date Filed

06/08/2010 - Email & phone mess with case number.

06/07/2010 - Checks cashed

06/11/2010 - NOA Date

06/21/2010 - Biometrics letter

07/07/2010 - Biometrics appointment

11/11/2010 - Interview Date

Waiting for interview letter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think what you're looking for is the length of time for your Adjustment of Status. This typically takes around 5 months I believe (check processing times on this site). During your AOS processing, you are not allowed to leave the US. You apply for AOS upon approval of immigration visas.

An immigrant visa holder does NOT file for adjustment of status... as they are already considered a resident the moment they step foot in the USA.

OP... technically you can enter and leave the same day... when you arrive you will receive a stamp in your passport that indicates you are a resident of the USA and that stamp is valid for up to one year.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi All,

Cheers

Braindrain

You can return to Sydney on the next flight if you want. Google "maintaining permanent resident status". Disregard references to adjusting status after entry as they come from the uninformed. Immigrant visa holders don't adjust status. They enter the US with the status non-immigrant visa holders "adjust" to.

As an F4 (sibling of USC) immigrant you enter USA and you get your Green Card within a few weeks in the mail. I don't believe you are required to stay a certain amount of time, but when you return you have to have your GC with you.

The bold above is incorrect. The stamp on the visa at entry serves as a temporary green card for a year.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.