vicki-uk

Couple wanting to move from UK to US

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there, I would be grateful for any advice from anyone. My partner and I are looking to emigrate to the US from the UK. My employer has an office in the US (whether it be Houston or New York, we haven't decided yet!) and so I would be sponsored by them for a work visa, however, my partner is not in the same situation. His job is not classed as one of the "special categories of jobs" and we are not married. Do you think there's still a chance of him being granted a permanent visa or does it sound completely impossible, given our circumstances? Thanks.

Hi there, I would be grateful for any advice from anyone. My partner and I are looking to emigrate to the US from the UK. My employer has an office in the US (whether it be Houston or New York, we haven't decided yet!) and so I would be sponsored by them for a work visa, however, my partner is not in the same situation. His job is not classed as one of the "special categories of jobs" and we are not married. Do you think there's still a chance of him being granted a permanent visa or does it sound completely impossible, given our circumstances? Thanks.

There are no visas available to reside in the US as a common law partner (unlike the UK). If you are offered a job at your company's US office, you would presumably be an L1 visa applicant. This means that your residence in the US is based solely on your job and has to be renewed (I believe it's every 2 years). I believe there is a maximum number of renewals they issue to one individual, and then you are forced to apply for a Green Card. As an L1, you have to stay employed by the same company for every renewal until you have been granted Legal Permanent Resident status (your GC).

If you were married, he would qualify for an L2 (L1 dependent's visa).

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

L2 is the way to go.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 5 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You could apply for a work viss, and then apply for a fiance visa(K-1) to bring your partner over. Then Adjustment of Status for green card. Or, get married, then apply for spouse visa(CR-1).

You must be a US Citizen to petition for a K1 fiance(e). OP would have to be a green card holder to petition for a spouse (CR1)

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

This thread is 6 months old.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hahahah ... not sure how it is on the top again.

But from wht I read L2 is not possible for the partner, L2 is only possible if they are married.

She cannot just bring somone without any official relation.

For K1 or CR1 she will have to wait until she is either LPR or UC.

Timeline

She made one post in March!

For the record the other option is B2 Co-Habiting, no work authorisation though.

Timeline

I have seen 6 months, I have seen a year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.