T&R

Honeymoon "outside" the US after immigrating with K1 visa

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Good morning everyone!

I hope you are fine on this Monday….=)

I have a question, and I hope you can help me.

Me and I fiancé are going to apply for the K1 visa. We will have the big wedding at the US, and we want to go after getting married (honeymoon) to Puerto Rico or to US Virgin Islands. Is it ok for me to go to any of these places for the honeymoon after I enter with the K1 visa? Because technically, I would be still in an American territory, since both of these places “bellows” to the US.

Thank you for any info you can provide me! :yes:

K1 Journey - Vermont Serv. Center
I-29F sent: Nov-12-2010
I-29F NOA1: Nov-17-2010
RFE: Apr-19-2011
*I-29F NOA2: May-23-2011 - Thank you Lord!
Package Left from NVC: Jun-1-2011
Interview Date: Aug-5-2011
K1 Visa Received: Aug-10-2011
US Entry: Aug-12-2011
*Wedding Date: Aug-21-2011!!!

AOS & EAD
Applied for SSN: Aug-30-2011
*SSN received: Sep-09-2011
AOS and EAD process sent (USPS): Sep-26-2011
NOA1 sms notice: Oct-14-2011
Got check back of $380 for EAD: Oct-20-2011
$1070 cashed check: Oct-21-2011
NOA1 hardcopies for I-485 & I-765: Oct-21-2011
Biometrics: Dec-15-2011
*EAD received: Jan-6-2012

Yes, you can honeymoon in a US territory without your fiance having advanced parole. Just make sure you do not take any sort of a cruise where you might (even accidentally) leave the soil of the territory.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, you can honeymoon in a US territory without your fiance having advanced parole. Just make sure you do not take any sort of a cruise where you might (even accidentally) leave the soil of the territory.

or accidentally venture over to one of the Virgin Islands not under US control

YMMV

Timeline

Thank you guys!! :thumbs:

AOS & EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Also be prepared to "argue" when returning through immigration as some officials are not aware that PR or the US Virgin Islands are not an international trip, as they will be checking your passport and I-94 (don't surrender it, btw).

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

Good morning everyone!

I hope you are fine on this Monday….=)

I have a question, and I hope you can help me.

Me and I fiancé are going to apply for the K1 visa. We will have the big wedding at the US, and we want to go after getting married (honeymoon) to Puerto Rico or to US Virgin Islands. Is it ok for me to go to any of these places for the honeymoon after I enter with the K1 visa? Because technically, I would be still in an American territory, since both of these places “bellows” to the US.

Thank you for any info you can provide me! :yes:

Ahhhhhhhh........I meant My fiancé and I, and "belongs" and the end......geez, sorry!

AOS & EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

:thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Also be prepared to "argue" when returning through immigration as some officials are not aware that PR or the US Virgin Islands are not an international trip, as they will be checking your passport and I-94 (don't surrender it, btw).

Why am I NOT surprised by this?

At one time I lived in Kentucky. I was visiting Illinois and was going to go skeet shooting. I went to buy ammunition and was asked for my ID to buy it (Slave state of Illinois, I understand this much) The clerk says "Sorry sir, we cannot sell you ammunition because we can only sell ammunition to Illinois residents and residents of states that border Illinois" Ahem...I am a resident of Kentucky, it borders Illinois. "No sir, only Wisconsin and Indiana border Illinois" :wacko:

With these words of wisdom the clerk eliminated all the land west of the Mississippi river. I imagine he now works for CBP or USCIS

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Ask them what a Puerto Rico passport looks like. Ask them what color a US Virgin Island passport is. :hehe:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Exactly Gary, I almost had a fit in Miami once 'cus of this. Before I started my K1 I came on a tourist visa to PR on vacation and to visit my hubby (then boyfriend) and meet his family.

As I was in my last year of college and had no job the visa interview wasn't a breeze and in the end they gave me a tourist visa that was valid for a single entry to the US. The visa also stated that I was going to PR (they were really suspicious, heheheheheh, except they couldn't be more wrong). So I got a flight from Rio to San Juan with a connecting flight in Miami, and as such, my POE was Miami and I had to leave the boarding gates since I was going through another gate area.

When I got to the security gate again they actually stopped me and started telling me I'd have problems coming back through Miami on my trip back 'cus I had already used my visa on the single entry to Miami, and I was leaving the US to fly to Puerto Rico and then I couldn't fly back with a connecting flight in Miami. :wacko: I had to argue with them that PR is part of US, or else I would have flown via Panama or something and not even require a visa in the first place and that if I was flying straight from Miami to PR I wasn't leaving US territory. They were actually concerned I was flying over international waters. :bonk:

It all worked out but yeah, always be prepared to argue about when it comes to Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. I kept thinking about all the puertoricans boarding with their american passports everyday and what these officials were thinking ...

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

While it's "legal" to visit Puerto Rico and the USVI, be prepared to get grilled by CBP officers, as you are crossing enemy territory.

What I mean with that is that somebody, let's say some UK citizen visits the BVI legally, yet from there charters a small sailboat and sails over to the USVI. From St. Thomas -- which is US territory -- he attempts to board a flight to the US mainland. Hey . . . from the US to the US, it's an domestic, inland flight, right? Right, and wrong.

Hence, anybody boarding a flight in St. Thomas or San Juan will be checked carefully, often several times.

Some VJ members have reported smooth sailing withput the slightest hiccup; my wife and I, even with me being a GC holder, have experienced exactly the opposite when returning from the USVI via Puerto Rico. We were treated like terrorists. My wife and I still have nightmares about this experience, and I usually don't have nightmares, ever.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I normally have zero issues with the CBP in Puerto Rico itself, but arriving in any POE in the USA coming from PR is a different matter, precisely for what Bob is relating. A lot of dominican illegals come to PR, stay a while and then try to fly to US, as they're already in US soil.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

I normally have zero issues with the CBP in Puerto Rico itself, but arriving in any POE in the USA coming from PR is a different matter, precisely for what Bob is relating. A lot of dominican illegals come to PR, stay a while and then try to fly to US, as they're already in US soil.

I understand the general scutiny for whatever reasons are unique to the territory, but I could not understand them questioning if you had left US soil, so to speak.

I travel to Canada alot because it is like 6 miles away, and I feel like we are often given closer scrutiny than people from, say, Florida or Missouri who are returning from their only ever trip to Canada. Even though they may have been there for a couple weeks, while I may have been there for lunch. Go figure.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Maybe they think you're trying to live in one side and work on the other, or somehow take advantage of the proximity? I never know what really goes on with the CBP. :lol:

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am an airline pilot and was previously based in Puerto Rico for 5 years. Our airline flew nearly all the island in the Caribbean. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale Florida and commuted from either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale Fl. every week. From any flight originating from the US to Puerto Rico or Puerto Rico to the US you will NOT pass through any checkpoints of customs or immigration. However there is on occasion an immigration officer that sits just inside the airport security screening area in Puerto Rico at least on the 2 screening areas for American Airlines. I can not remember ever entering the screening area for other airlines so I can not say for those areas. I cannot give you an exact percentage of passengers checked but it is extremely rare for them to look at any documents. I have passed through that security with passengers countless times and maybe 1 or 2 times in 5 years did I ever see them talking with a passenger. I frequently was out of uniform going through security and I was not checked even once. It could have simply been a passenger had a question for the officer. However if I were you I would contact the airline you would be flying on to verify what documents you need for check in. The airline could and might check your passport and visa and the airline could cause you problems. Now any flight originating from the US to USVI you will NOT pass through any customs or immigration. However on the return from the USVI there is US immigration checkpoint prior to being able to proceed to the boarding area. I cannot answer if the officers at this checkpoint would allow you to pass. However if you choose Puerto Rico you can rest assured that there will be no immigration checkpoints and would only have to worry about the airline restricting your travel. Good luck and hope this helped.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.