severinep

Is there a difference between I-134 & I-864??

11 posts in this topic

They both are affidavits of support.

But do you have to file both? Just one??

Thanks.

You have to fill out just one, not both depends on the visa types. For nonimmigrant visas, K types, it is usually I-134 and for Immigrant visas and adjustment of status it is I-864.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I was reading and I don't understand.

If you file a K3, you have to file the I-130 petition right? Then here is what i found in the Faq's section:

Do I file the I-134 Affidavit of Support, or the I-864 Affidavit of support for the I-130 petition??

You need to file the I-864 Affidavit Of Support.

So who is right?? :wacko:

N-400 process started 09/2017

I was reading and I don't understand.

If you file a K3, you have to file the I-130 petition right? Then here is what i found in the Faq's section:

Do I file the I-134 Affidavit of Support, or the I-864 Affidavit of support for the I-130 petition??

So who is right?? :wacko:

The I-130 leads to a CR-1 immigrant visa. In order to file the I-129F which leads to the K-3 visa one must also have filed an I-130. This is done because one needs an approved I-130 in order to obtain immigrant status once one enters on a K-3 and applies to adjust status.

I=864 = CR-1 and Adjustment Of Status from K-3 or K-1

I-134 = K-3 or K-1

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

severinep, you'll need both, at different times. Here's a stripped down order of events.

1. File I-130

2. File I-129f

3. Approved I-129f

4. Submit I-134

5. Enter on K3 visa

6. Adjust Status process

7. Submit I-864

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Timeline

severinep,

Failure to properly distinguish between a petition and a visa or visa application is a never ending source of confusion. The petition does not determine which affidavit of support may ultimately be required, it's not the petition that requires the affidavit.

The question was a poor one, the answer would be better if it the misunderstanding and then went on to give a proper answer as to the circumstances that require each of the affidavits.

Yodrak

... here is what i found in the Faq's section:

now the question i have is there a thread that explains why they use one form, and not the other. Like what are differences between the 2.

Aapki Nazroan Ne Samjha, Pyaar Ke Kabil Mujhe

Dil Ki Ai Dharkan Thaher Ja, Mil Gayee Manzil Mujhe

I-130 Process

01-29-2006 | Marriage

02-13-2006 | Mailed to NSC

02-27-2006 | NOA1

06-15-2006 | I-130 Approved

I-129F Process

03-08-2006 | Mailed to CHICAGO LOCKBOX

03-13-2006 | NOA1

07-31-2006 | I-129F Approved

09-01-2006 | K3 Interview, Visa Approved

09-14-2006 | Passport recieved from Consulate

01-23-2007 | POE at Chicago

AOS process

07-25-2007 | Mailed to CHICAGO LOCKBOX

08-30-2007 | NOA1

09-07-2007 | Biometrics Appointment

01-28-2008 | AOS interview-More evidence requested

02-07-2008 | AOS approved

02-19-2008 | Recieved Green Card in mail

now the question i have is there a thread that explains why they use one form, and not the other. Like what are differences between the 2.

There are differences in requirements for the I-864 then for the I-134. The I-134 is also not legally binding where as the I-864 is.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Timeline

hafiz,

As aussiewench explained, the I-134 is not binding on the sponsor. This created problems when sponsors failed to live up to their moral obligation and immigrants turned to the public dole. So amendments to the INA were passed in the mid to late 1990s creating specific requirements and a binding obligation on the part of the sponsor of an immigrant and the I-864 was born.

Non-immigrants continue to use I-134 when an affidafit of support is deemed to be necessary (it's at the discretion of the consular officer processing the visa application).

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.