Nomendo

Can a Canadian travel to US with I-551 in his passport and ask or choose not to activate PR? Or I-551 automatically activates PR no matter what or ..?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Can a Canadian (who got I-551 through DV Green Card lottery) travel to US with I-551 visa in passport and ask border authorities (at POE) or choose not to activate PR (permanent residence) and green card or they will automatically make him PR without having a choice?

Note: To remind, Canadians can travel to US without VISA and not many are in my situation as potentially I might have two ways of going to US, through existing Canadian passport or using I-551 and activating PR and issuing green card at POE. FYI, I would prefer first option for few first months. My I-551 is valid for the next 6 months which is time given for me to relocate to US.

Edited by Nomendo

Can a Canadian (who got I-551 through DV Green Card lottery) travel to US with I-551 visa in passport and ask border authorities (at POE) or choose not to activate PR (permanent residence) and green card or they will automatically make him PR without having a choice?

Note: To remind, Canadians can travel to US without VISA and not many are in my situation as potentially I might have two ways of going to US, through existing Canadian passport or using I-551 and activating PR and issuing green card at POE. FYI, I would prefer first option for few first months. My I-551 is valid for the next 6 months which is time given for me to relocate to US.

So you already have an I-551 in your passport, but you don't wish to immigrate yet? The only way you're going to know is by trying to use it, and ask that they don't "activate" it yet. You might try calling the border you're wanting to cross in advance as well, and ask them specifically. Get the name of the supervisor who advises you if you can do this, and write it down, and present it to the border staff if questioned on your crossing. Always be prepared to be denied your request at the border and have alternate plans in case they don't want to do what you wish to do.

I'd just explain to them that you just want to enter for a visit before your permanent move.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Right, I'll look first if I can find a phone of Niagara Falls US border crossing and try first to ask over the phone.

Then I might drive there (~150km from me) and park close on Canadian side and walk to the border with no intention of crossing, just talking to border staff and when I get answer I will in all cases come back to Canadian side, but would be happy to hear if I can cross as Canadian and chose not to become US PR at that time, but at later entry.

Edited by Nomendo

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely call and ask - I believe that you have up to 3 months (please check this though) to activate your visa. A lot of people have to pack up their place, quit their job, move, etc., so it gives them a little bit more time. I don't think in those situations though they're crossing the border.

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: Timeline

1. As Carla says..... yes, you can try to enter without using your visa. Some of us were able to do so successfully, some of us not. Personally, I just explained my circumstances and the CBP Officer was fine with that. But it is ALWAYS at the discretion of the admitting officer.
  2. DON'T use the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. They are not as conversant with visa types and entries as the other two bridges. Their focus is on tourists.
  3. DO use the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie (first choice) or the Queenston-Lewiston bridge (2nd choice).
  4. Here is a link to the Peace Bridge Authority. Under the 'Contact' page you will find their phone numbers.

I am moving your thread from the Working & Traveling section to the Canada Regional Forum. Welcome to VJ. :)

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would definitely call and ask - I believe that you have up to 3 months (please check this though) to activate your visa. A lot of people have to pack up their place, quit their job, move, etc., so it gives them a little bit more time. I don't think in those situations though they're crossing the border.

Hi Moosker,

It's actually 6 months, can always check the visa for the exact date :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't know that Canadian are included in the DV lottery. The times I checked on it they said no. But anyways I have traveled back and forth to the U.S. many times and never had a problem coming or going at the border with my visa (unactived) in my passport.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As others have stated its up to the POE officer!! Sure one can call ahead and ask, but what are the chances you wil be dealing with that POE officer when u cross?? But many do with no probs

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

1. As Carla says..... yes, you can try to enter without using your visa. Some of us were able to do so successfully, some of us not. Personally, I just explained my circumstances and the CBP Officer was fine with that. But it is ALWAYS at the discretion of the admitting officer.
  2. DON'T use the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. They are not as conversant with visa types and entries as the other two bridges. Their focus is on tourists.
  3. DO use the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie (first choice) or the Queenston-Lewiston bridge (2nd choice).
  4. Here is a link to the Peace Bridge Authority. Under the 'Contact' page you will find their phone numbers.

I am moving your thread from the Working & Traveling section to the Canada Regional Forum. Welcome to VJ. :)

I agree...:thumbs:..Definitely go with the Peace Bridge or Queenston Lewiston Bridge, for a POE!

Been there, done that, with the Rainbow Bridge..What a nightmare! (see my detailed VJ timeline for more info)

I'm confused with the OP's situation though...Umm..Isn't the I-551 kind of like a "temporary green card" already?

So in that sense, isn't it like they have a green card? So all they have to do is wait for a permanent one when they arrive?

On that note, yes, you are able to cross over with an I-551 stamp in your passport, with not too many problems.

(I got those, while I was waiting for the actual 10yr green card itself...I didn't have too many problems crossing with just the stamp...)

I'm not sure about your PR and/or diversity visa status (btw..congrats on winning the "lottery") though...you would definitely have to ask the border guard and/or the USCIS about that too....

But from what I can see....I think you already have some sort of status here in the USA via the stamp...So that's a good thing, right?

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your journey. Welcome to America, Moosker! :star:

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

If you have an I-551 stamp in your passport, you are already a LPR.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.