bluenoser77

crossing border alone with fiance's vehicle

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I'm currently visiting my fiance in the states. I want to travel back to Canada for a few days and then return back to the states. Flights are outrageously expensive for this trip, but driving would be reasonable. I am able to take my fiance's car to do this, but I'm wondering if I would encounter any problems driving someone else's car across the border, on either side. Anyone ever do this? or know where to look for official info regarding this situation?

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Have your fiance call his car-insurance agent to ask. Also, you can visit www.cbp.gov to learn the phone number of the appropriate port of entry, and then you can ask about the U.S.'s rules & procedures.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

One thing's for certain, they will definitely know the vehicle isn't registered under your name. When I used to go fishing in Canada every spring, we always made it a point to have whoever the vehicle owner was behind the wheel at the time (long car trip = driving in shifts) we crossed the border for that exact reason.

On one occassion where he was sitting in the back seat, the border agent made it a point to have us roll down the back window and directly asked him, "This is your vehicle?"

You could always call Border Protection and ask, assuming they have a number to call. No harm there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I go on holidays to my hometown (right on the ON/MI border), I use my mom's car to cross. My mom has a different last name than me and I have never had a problem crossing, they have never asked about it.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Other Timeline

There is no law I'm aware of the prohibits borrowing or renting an automobile and taking it across the border, providing the owner allows it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Avoid taking chances, though -- do what I recommended earlier, to relieve all doubt.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't recommend it. I was in the USA visiting my husband and my grandfather died unexpectedly. I used my girlfriends' car to go back to Canada for his funeral. The Canadian Border ALMOST wouldn't let me cross....because I am Canadian driving an American car. They asked me if I had any STATUS in the USA. I said I married an American and applied for a VISA. They asked me again if I have any legal status. I showed them my NOA1 and they let me cross reluctantly. They told me to ask the USA border on the way back for a 1-94.

Ok so now i'm in Canada. On my way back is where the MAJOR problem happened. POE told me to go to secondary because I am Canadian driving an American car....had to tell the POE why i was driving an American car.

Secondary - not so nice. They denied me entry. Said that I am not allowed to cross the border as a visitor because I have applied to become an immigrant (CR-1).

My friend had to drive 7 hours to come get her car. I was so upset, because she was nice enough to let me use her car last minuter and this happens!

I was at the Border for 3 hours crying my eyes out and there was no way they were letting me cross. I was suppose to be back by 1pm to go to a friends wedding. My husband was so upset. And this process is taking FOREVER.

I'm sure that others have crossed without any problems like I have encountered. I dont know how far of a drive you have, but getting denied at the border and being questioned, and fingerprinted is not very enjoyable.

2/7/13 mailed I130 x 2

2/14/13 checks cashed $420 x 2

4/3/13 RFE more divorce info requested and marriage certificate(which I had already sent)

4/9/13 mailed additional info

4/19/13 I130 approved

5/10/13 NVC received

5/16/13 Called NVC and got Case #s and Invoice ID #s

5/17/13 USCIS website states: Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. Please check your receipt number and try again.

5/24/13 Paid AOS ($88.00) fee online

5/30/13 Emailed I-864 package for both kids

6/3/13 paid IV bill $230 x 2 kids

6/5/13 IV bill shows paid, DS260 available

6/14/13 CHILDREN'S PASSPORTS ARRIVED!!!!

6/14/13 filed online DS-260 for both kids

6/16/13 emailed Supporting docs for DS-260 for both kids

7/9/13 CHECKLIST for both kids...sad.png

7/9/13 checklist response sent (birth certs and passport Bio Page <again>)

8/2/13 CHECKLIST both kids

8/3/13 checklist response sent (I-864 AGAIN and paystubs - sent last 6 paystubs)

8/28/13 ***** INTERVIEW SCHEDULED***** for 10/9/13

9/11/13 Medicals completed in Toronto @ Dr. Seiden's office

10/9/13 INTERVIEW APPROVED

10/25/13. SSN cards arrived

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow,

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I've decided to drive the car to a train station and then park it and take the train across the border. I guess I can consider calling and asking, but even if I do, I'm not sure any answers would provide the peace of mind I would prefer. From what I gather, people have called authorities and got differing answers for various questions.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I wouldn't recommend it. I was in the USA visiting my husband and my grandfather died unexpectedly. I used my girlfriends' car to go back to Canada for his funeral. The Canadian Border ALMOST wouldn't let me cross....because I am Canadian driving an American car. They asked me if I had any STATUS in the USA. I said I married an American and applied for a VISA. They asked me again if I have any legal status. I showed them my NOA1 and they let me cross reluctantly. They told me to ask the USA border on the way back for a 1-94.

Ok so now i'm in Canada. On my way back is where the MAJOR problem happened. POE told me to go to secondary because I am Canadian driving an American car....had to tell the POE why i was driving an American car.

Secondary - not so nice. They denied me entry. Said that I am not allowed to cross the border as a visitor because I have applied to become an immigrant (CR-1).

My friend had to drive 7 hours to come get her car. I was so upset, because she was nice enough to let me use her car last minuter and this happens!

I was at the Border for 3 hours crying my eyes out and there was no way they were letting me cross. I was suppose to be back by 1pm to go to a friends wedding. My husband was so upset. And this process is taking FOREVER.

I'm sure that others have crossed without any problems like I have encountered. I dont know how far of a drive you have, but getting denied at the border and being questioned, and fingerprinted is not very enjoyable.

Yeah, CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) gets their panties all in a bunch over Canadians driving US plated vehicles into Canada. My wife drove my car to work one day and they told her that they would impound it...after much pleading and explaining the situation (I took her car in for repairs on my day off) they relented and let her go with a warning.

CBP officers don't bat an eye if I drive my wife's car into the US. If they ask (usually they don't) I just tell them I'm borrowing it for the day and they are cool with that.

CBSA will freak out though...be forewarned!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) gets their panties all in a bunch over Canadians driving US plated vehicles into Canada. My wife drove my car to work one day and they told her that they would impound it...after much pleading and explaining the situation (I took her car in for repairs on my day off) they relented and let her go with a warning.

CBP officers don't bat an eye if I drive my wife's car into the US. If they ask (usually they don't) I just tell them I'm borrowing it for the day and they are cool with that.

CBSA will freak out though...be forewarned!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.