OPT

Can I do volunteer work while waiting EAD card?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello, VJs

This is the first time posting my question.

I am an F1 student and filed I-765 for OPT.

My OPT beginning date is 2/10/10 which is already started.

But I didn't receive EAD card yet. I think it's gonna take one more month.

Now I'm worrying about the 90 days unemployment period.

Am I able to do volunteer work to avoid 90 days rule?

I'm accounting major so I want to do tax preparation volunteer work at high school or other organization.

90 days rule really makes me crazy.

In short,

My OPT beginning date started on 2/10/10 but I didn't receive EAD card yet.

Am I able to do volunteer work and report it?

I love you VJs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

hi there! I don't remember where I read it, but I read that volunteer work/community service was actually encouraged as a way to meet others/help the community while waiting for the EAD. Sounds like you would be helpful, and I hope it works out for you!

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

you can do it, the most important is you can´t receive any pay

We can all make a difference. Please recycle

por favor no escribas en mayúsculas sostenidas, eso equivale a GRITAR

crazy-cats.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
you can do it, the most important is you can´t receive any pay

I read that it's not JUST pay that matters. You can't get ANY benefit from it. That means you can't volunteer somewhere that will result in a job when you get the EAD. Someone else asked about it as he wanted to volunteer at the place he was going to get paid work from.

Filed: Other Country: South Korea
Timeline
I read that it's not JUST pay that matters. You can't get ANY benefit from it. That means you can't volunteer somewhere that will result in a job when you get the EAD. Someone else asked about it as he wanted to volunteer at the place he was going to get paid work from.

Thanks for the reply.

I think you mean like internship.

How about community service without any benefit??

hi there! I don't remember where I read it, but I read that volunteer work/community service was actually encouraged as a way to meet others/help the community while waiting for the EAD. Sounds like you would be helpful, and I hope it works out for you!

Thanks. you are awesome. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thanks for the reply.

I think you mean like internship.

How about community service without any benefit??

Shouldn't be a problem I would think. Anything to stave off boredom must be a good thing :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You might be able to, but I've understood that not everyone is allowed to.

It seems to depend who you ask - my husband (then fiance) was planning to volunteer at my youth center (non-profit) for our summer park program which was dreadfully understaffed. When he called to confirm that this would be okay, he was told that the government considers volunteer work "taking a job from a US resident/citizen" and that he was not allowed to volunteer anywhere in the states until he'd received his EAD.

Granted, this was over a year ago, and we were in the midst of the K-1 process - it might be completely different for you (and if someone can provide evidence that I'm wrong, I would *love* it! my husband would still like to volunteer, we're still dreadfully understaffed, and the only thing holding him back is what he was told during the visa process).

Edited by ScooterMac

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.