txdutch

A few short N400 questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I'm having my naturalization interview next month and have just a few questions;

-For naturalization, does every male has to sign up for selective service? (I became a LPR 3 years ago when I was 29 years old)

-Neither my wife or I have ever been married before, do I need to bring proof of this to the interview to show that neither of us have ever been married? If so, where would I get this document?

That's all! Thanks for answering.

TXDutch

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I'm having my naturalization interview next month and have just a few questions;

-For naturalization, does every male has to sign up for selective service? (I became a LPR 3 years ago when I was 29 years old)

-Neither my wife or I have ever been married before, do I need to bring proof of this to the interview to show that neither of us have ever been married? If so, where would I get this document?

TXDutch

18 to 26 male has to be registered with selective services u were 29 when you got ur gc so u didnt had too.i dont think there is a document you can show that tell you were married or not so just oraly say big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yeah you old guy, way too old for selective service registration, from that you are free. The reason I read for some of those seemingly weird questions on the N-400, if later, you are caught, can say you lied on your application and besides whatever other punishment you receive, they can deport you as well. So if they learned you were married before, didn't say so, could even be you never got a divorce, and caught. Not only a bigamist, but will be a former USC. Goodbye.

TXDutch

You don't have to worry about selective service, only if you were 18-26 when you were an LPR.

How can you prove that something doesn't exist? that's a good question! I think this usually concerns people who did get married before. They will want to make sure to provide that evidence... don't worry about it!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I've never heard of having to prove you weren't married before, except when you are applying for a fiance or spouse visa initially. But even then I don't think you have to prove you weren't, just that you have to attest that you weren't/aren't already married.

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

You can only prove something if it existed. If it didn't, there is nothing to prove. So, don't worry about that one, if you and your spouse were not married before, there is nothing to bring, except evidence that you are married to each other. Good luck :thumbs:

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Thanks all for answering, I appreciate!

So it's not that, even if you're older than 26, they kind of expect you to sign up for Selective Service as some kind of 'unwritten condition' to become a USC? My interview letter said that I should bring 'Any evidence of Selective Service Registration'. Just wondering why they ask this if they can see on file that I'm already 32 and I would assume that the YOU MUST BRING items in the interview letter are specific for just that applicant. Anyways, just don't want to get the question; "You want to become a USC but didn't want to sign up for Selective Service? Wondering if this has ever been brought up in other interviews and if they have a valid point here or not. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
So it's not that, even if you're older than 26, they kind of expect you to sign up for Selective Service as some kind of 'unwritten condition' to become a USC? My interview letter said that I should bring 'Any evidence of Selective Service Registration'. Just wondering why they ask this if they can see on file that I'm already 32 and I would assume that the YOU MUST BRING items in the interview letter are specific for just that applicant.

The question you put above it's in the booklet of questions you have to know for your interview. No, if you are older than 26 you don't have to sign up for Selective Service, so you are not required to bring anything like that. They ask that because they send a standard letter to all applicants, woman or man. The only time that letter is specifically directed to a certain applicant is when underneath these standard requests they make a separate mention of things to bring, specifically directed to you. Other than that, you received the same exact standard letter we all got. If you were older than 26 at the time you migrated here and no one asked you to sign up for Selective Service, it means you have not refused anything therefore there is nothing for you to bring regarding that. Someone else should correct me if there is something incorrect in my post.

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.