Matcoody

Credit check?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

At any time in the process is there a credit check done on the US petitioner?

Also, if I have an installment plan set up on an IRS debt (less than $2000) and I make my payments on time, will this cause a problem for us if my income is well above the poverty line and I can show that I can provide for my SO on arrival?

Cat :luv:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
USCIS doesn't care about your credit, nor your debts or financial obligations.

Alhumdulillah!!!!!! If that was the case, we would both be screwed. I am so considering bankruptcy, or debt consolidation, or something. By the time my husband comes I dont want to be bothered with a bunch of bills.

Thats good to know!

TY

Pray with me Forrest! Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here..... Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here!

Timeline

Alhumdulillah!!!!!! If that was the case, we would both be screwed. I am so considering bankruptcy, or debt consolidation, or something. By the time my husband comes I dont want to be bothered with a bunch of bills.

Thats good to know!

TY

Well THAT'S a relief! So why do they want bank statements?

But TY, why mess up your credit (or mess it up even worse) when your husband is coming? I'm doing the opposite. Since you're married your credit is his credit, and he's starting with a clean slate and will need your help to build a history. I have a lot of consumer debt, but I'm chipping away at it as hard as I can so we will have a better life. Funny, I'm more worried about him having a better life than I ever did about me. I let myself get pretty weighed down in the payments department, and never really worked that hard to fix the situation.

This might sound corny, but I look at my Sweetie as being like a new baby when he gets here. Everything is going to be brand new. I want his American life to grow up healthy and strong, and the damage of bankruptcy or even debt consolidation would be worse than knuckling down and digging myself out, no matter how hard it seems. It might be hard for a while, but in the long run it will be worth the meantime. I don't mean to preach at you, and of course I don't know your situation, but please think twice before you do anything like that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thats good to know!

TY

Well THAT'S a relief! So why do they want bank statements?

But TY, why mess up your credit (or mess it up even worse) when your husband is coming? I'm doing the opposite. Since you're married your credit is his credit, and he's starting with a clean slate and will need your help to build a history. I have a lot of consumer debt, but I'm chipping away at it as hard as I can so we will have a better life. Funny, I'm more worried about him having a better life than I ever did about me. I let myself get pretty weighed down in the payments department, and never really worked that hard to fix the situation.

This might sound corny, but I look at my Sweetie as being like a new baby when he gets here. Everything is going to be brand new. I want his American life to grow up healthy and strong, and the damage of bankruptcy or even debt consolidation would be worse than knuckling down and digging myself out, no matter how hard it seems. It might be hard for a while, but in the long run it will be worth the meantime. I don't mean to preach at you, and of course I don't know your situation, but please think twice before you do anything like that.

TY meant thank you! HAAAAAAAAAA! My name is Limah.

I know and have only considered taking those steps. I haven't actually filed or anything. I have spoken to a lawyer, (free consultation) Yeah its pretty bad. Well to me it is. I also know that its rough in the trenches. i KNW i have a lot to consider about how this will also affect him and I have considered that. Either way, we couldnt get anything because its already bad. I have a while to think about it. In the mean time I am also paying off little things............ But I got big things, too. That's the killer!!!!!!!

TY, Limah

Pray with me Forrest! Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here..... Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here!

At any time in the process is there a credit check done on the US petitioner?

Also, if I have an installment plan set up on an IRS debt (less than $2000) and I make my payments on time, will this cause a problem for us if my income is well above the poverty line and I can show that I can provide for my SO on arrival?

USCIS, NVC, DOS don't care about someone's debt. Don't worry about your IRS debt except pay it off as soon as possible. They do lots of background check on the petitioner and the beneficiary.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Timeline
USCIS, NVC, DOS don't care about someone's debt. Don't worry about your IRS debt except pay it off as soon as possible. They do lots of background check on the petitioner and the beneficiary.

Well, that's sort of what I'm asking. What sort of "background checks" do they do?

And Limah, sorry for the brain spasm. Holy Moses, that was stupid.

Anyway, I have some bigger bills, too, believe me. American Express virtually owns my butt! Good luck to both of us!

TYVM (not my name)

At a minimum, they do a check on the FBI National Criminal Information Center database (NCIC). Perhaps more extensive, depending on other circumstances, all case by case.

Well, that's sort of what I'm asking. What sort of "background checks" do they do?

And Limah, sorry for the brain spasm. Holy Moses, that was stupid.

Anyway, I have some bigger bills, too, believe me. American Express virtually owns my butt! Good luck to both of us!

TYVM (not my name)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.