Tips to help your SO adjust

207 posts in this topic

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Study the teachings of prophet Muhhamed. Wife is not MOMMY anhd wife is not slave. Follow the quran dude take it like a man!!

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
So, for those of us who have already gone through the (possibley painful) adjustment period after our significan others arrive in the United States, I think it would be beneficial to create a list of tried and true tips for those sistas out there who haven't gone through it yet. These can be cultural and/or religious in origin, or just helpful tips for when you go from living alone to sharing your space

Here are some of mine:

*Have some food from home readily available if possible

I stocked the cupboards with cans of foul and had the round bread popular across the ME/NA.

That softened the blow of odd things like tuna sandwiches and frozen pizza a bit

*Make space for him.

He might not come with a lot of stuff, but make sure there's a spot on the bookshelf for him,

room in the closet and in the drawers

*Watering can in the bathroom

At least from what I'm aware of, many people from the ME/NA region don't feel comfortable using just toilet paper. Putting a watering can in the bathroom will allow easy access at that certain time. Also, there are several bidet attachments availble that can be fit on american toilets.

*If he makes salat (ie muslim daily prayer), find the direction of prayer (usually NE) and get a printout of prayer times for your area.

The direction of prayer in North America is generally North East. Buying a cheap qiblah compass will help to find the exact direction.

Prayer times differ by location. Put your zipcode into Islamic Finder and you'll get a page that will list prayer times for the day, a link to a monthly prayer times chart, and a list of muslim businesses in the area, which may provide you info on where to find home food. Islamic finder also has a athan 3.0 program that you can download onto the computer. This program will calculate prayer times for your area and call the athan (call to prayer) on your computer.

Ask him if he has room to bring a prayer rug in his suitcase. Since he has limited room, offer to buy him one so he has more room to bring other stuff.

What am I reading wrong about this sentence???? I stocked the cupboards with cans of foul and had the round bread popular across the ME/NA. Foul = bird... sooo????? "Cans of bird???" Whats "round bread popular???"

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
What am I reading wrong about this sentence???? I stocked the cupboards with cans of foul and had the round bread popular across the ME/NA. Foul = bird... sooo????? "Cans of bird???" Whats "round bread popular???"

Yes. You can find many cans of different varieties of birds in your local Arabic stores. :innocent:

Actually it's normally spelled ful or fool, or at least that's how I've seen it. It's what they call fava beans over there. The round bread that's mentioned is probably just pita bread available at your local supermarket, though the kind we get at the arabic store is three times the size of the kind you'd find at a regular store.

Honestly I"d just wait and bring him to an arabic store and let him look at everything and he can decide what he wants. You don't wanna be stuck with 100 cans of bird, you know? :)

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

What am I reading wrong about this sentence???? I stocked the cupboards with cans of foul and had the round bread popular across the ME/NA.

Foul = bird... sooo????? "Cans of bird???" Whats "round bread popular???"

FOWL = bird

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
What am I reading wrong about this sentence???? I stocked the cupboards with cans of foul and had the round bread popular across the ME/NA.

FOWL = bird

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: Timeline

:lol:

Doesn't foul = offensive? So cans of offensive? I guess fuul could end up being offensive eventually. :jest:

Sheesh "round bread popular across the ME/NA" is really dumbing it down.

FOWL = bird

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited by Astarte

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This thread is why I wanted (request denied) a new forum section. There is the "moving here and your new life in America" forum, but I think the USCs could use a forum, too. One about what we should expect - even though it's less of an adjustment for us, our lives change, too. I think also putting in there things we can do to help the new immigrant would be good, too. We love them and want them to be happy - and helping them adjust can make it easier for us (and our children, for those who have them), too.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am trying hard to make a seperation in my mind to justify the whole wife is not mother thing but other than marital relations ( with your wife) I can not find any difference :blush: Rats!!!!!

Study the teachings of prophet Muhhamed. Wife is not MOMMY anhd wife is not slave. Follow the quran dude take it like a man!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I think wife is mommy and husband is daddy.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My hubby's been here a week... so far there's been a lot of happiness, a few tears, moderate stress and anxiety (re: not being able to work yet) and daily voice chats with his family back home. pretty typical, I guess. so far he's given a thumbs-up to mexican food, olive garden, and anything i've made at home. thumbs-down to taco bell. :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
My hubby's been here a week... so far there's been a lot of happiness, a few tears, moderate stress and anxiety (re: not being able to work yet) and daily voice chats with his family back home. pretty typical, I guess. so far he's given a thumbs-up to mexican food, olive garden, and anything i've made at home. thumbs-down to taco bell. :P

I would say pretty normal chica. It will be up and down for some time and the hardest thing for him will be not working. I pray he finds employment soon Amy. Did the Taco Bell give him bathroom hell? My hubster digs anything buffet...swears if we opened one in EG that it would be closed down in one day the way they eat. LOL.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.