londonhornet

Preparation for sending DS-230-I

24 posts in this topic

Packet 3 received, GOOD NEWS! Now for the next step...

I find the guidelines for the next step a little confusing, as although certain aspects are explained, the finer details arent!! (For info of those just behind me in the process, when you receive your packet 3 you are directed to this website for the next step... http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/ds2001.html)

Here is what we have assembled so far, please let me know if anything I have forgotten to include:

- Form DS-230 Part 1 filled out

- Form DS-2001 completed

- Obtained UK Police Certificate

- Obtained Certified Copy of Birth Certificate

- Obtained Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate

- Obtained Certified Copy of Passport

- Collated I-864 and I-864A (Affadavit of Support from sponsor and co-sponsor)

- Photographs of Beneficiary

Docs which don't apply to me are military records, previous divorce docs, court and prison records and adoption papers.

So all of the above is sitting ready. I have the following questions, sorry there are quite a few but really want to make sure we get this right!!!

Question 1 - My certified copy of passport is photocopied in black and white, and I have only had the photo page with all my personal info certified, is that ok? Guidelines don't specify what pages so I presume its just this one with all the personal info....

Question 2 - When I send the DS-230 Part I, what do I do with Part II? I'm aware I don't sign it until my interview date as it has to be in front of a Consul Officer, but do I still send it back with Part I and other docs?

Question 3 - Vaccinations that apply to me are T-dap, MMR and Varicella (as far as I can work out). If I can't get these by my local GP will it be a problem at my medical, or will they just administer the jabs there and then at extra cost?

Question 4 - I appreciate the steps are explained on the link above, but as I say doesnt go into specifics. Shall I send all the documentation and then book a medical on the same day as I send? Or am I to await further instruction after sending the DS-230 I etc?

Question 5 - One of the guidelines state, "Please obtain the original documents or certified copies and one photocopy, for yourself and each family member applying for an immigrant visa." I presume I have to photocopy every single document I send, so I will be sending everything twice in the same packet??

I'm sure there will be more questions but like I say, I just want to get it right!!!

For info, anyone who wants to ask me questions for the areas of the process I have already reached, feel free to write me. You can also find me on facebook at londonhornet@hotmail.com, where I am on more often than here. Good luck guys!! :dance:

Question 1 - My certified copy of passport is photocopied in black and white, and I have only had the photo page with all my personal info certified, is that ok? Guidelines don't specify what pages so I presume its just this one with all the personal info....

Question 2 - When I send the DS-230 Part I, what do I do with Part II? I'm aware I don't sign it until my interview date as it has to be in front of a Consul Officer, but do I still send it back with Part I and other docs?

Question 3 - Vaccinations that apply to me are T-dap, MMR and Varicella (as far as I can work out). If I can't get these by my local GP will it be a problem at my medical, or will they just administer the jabs there and then at extra cost?

Question 4 - I appreciate the steps are explained on the link above, but as I say doesnt go into specifics. Shall I send all the documentation and then book a medical on the same day as I send? Or am I to await further instruction after sending the DS-230 I etc?

Question 5 - One of the guidelines state, "Please obtain the original documents or certified copies and one photocopy, for yourself and each family member applying for an immigrant visa." I presume I have to photocopy every single document I send, so I will be sending everything twice in the same packet??

Just going to go through them one by one :) :

Question 1: You're going to need your actual passport to present at the Embassy on the day of your interview, so you just also need a regular photocopy to bring with you on interview day (doesn't need to be certified, since you will present the original to the consular officer.)

Question 2: This one is a bit confusing. The instructions say that you mail DS-230 Part I, but the link contains Parts I and II. What I would do is fill out and mail all four pages, but do not sign the fourth page. And I would bring a printout of the whole DS-230 (Parts 1 and 2) with you to the interview day (again, unsigned on Page 4.)

Question 3: They can administer the jabs for you at your medical evaluation-- there is a price list attached to the medical exam info packet. My husband has gotten his at his GP, and will take the vaccination form with him to his Medical Evaluation, to see if they say he needs anything else or that anything has been missed. I would try to get them in advance at your GP, to save money, and bring the proof to your medical exam.

Question 4: The only things that you are supposed to send are the DS-230 and the DS-2001-- you do NOT mail off all of the required documentation, but simply mail the checklist that shows that you've gathered the items listed, and are ready for the interview. Do not mail your police certificates, marriage certs, I-864, etc. with your application-- you just need to bring these to your interview (original or certified copy, PLUS a photocopy of the same). You can book your medical evaluation as soon as you have your case number. I would do this ASAP, as you need to have it completed before your interview date.

Question 5: Just for extra clarification, the only papers that you send back to them are the DS-230 and the DS-2001. You don't send your documents, but rather bring them to the interview, to be evaluated in person on the interview day.

Just going to go through them one by one :) :

Question 1: You're going to need your actual passport to present at the Embassy on the day of your interview, so you just also need a regular photocopy to bring with you on interview day (doesn't need to be certified, since you will present the original to the consular officer.)

Question 2: This one is a bit confusing. The instructions say that you mail DS-230 Part I, but the link contains Parts I and II. What I would do is fill out and mail all four pages, but do not sign the fourth page. And I would bring a printout of the whole DS-230 (Parts 1 and 2) with you to the interview day (again, unsigned on Page 4.)

Question 3: They can administer the jabs for you at your medical evaluation-- there is a price list attached to the medical exam info packet. My husband has gotten his at his GP, and will take the vaccination form with him to his Medical Evaluation, to see if they say he needs anything else or that anything has been missed. I would try to get them in advance at your GP, to save money, and bring the proof to your medical exam.

Question 4: The only things that you are supposed to send are the DS-230 and the DS-2001-- you do NOT mail off all of the required documentation, but simply mail the checklist that shows that you've gathered the items listed, and are ready for the interview. Do not mail your police certificates, marriage certs, I-864, etc. with your application-- you just need to bring these to your interview (original or certified copy, PLUS a photocopy of the same). You can book your medical evaluation as soon as you have your case number. I would do this ASAP, as you need to have it completed before your interview date.

Question 5: Just for extra clarification, the only papers that you send back to them are the DS-230 and the DS-2001. You don't send your documents, but rather bring them to the interview, to be evaluated in person on the interview day.

jhphi - thank you so much for the reply!! so just to clarify, although I have all the other required documents in my possession, ONLY send the DS-230-I and DS-2001 (TOGETHER??)

By the way, how long was your husbands appointment with the Medical Center since he phoned to book an appointment?

Thank you again!

jhphi - thank you so much for the reply!! so just to clarify, although I have all the other required documents in my possession, ONLY send the DS-230-I and DS-2001 (TOGETHER??)

By the way, how long was your husbands appointment with the Medical Center since he phoned to book an appointment?

Thank you again!

Hi londonhornet. That's correct-- you don't actually MAIL those required documents (police cert, marriage cert, passport, birth cert, I-864, photos, etc.) to the Embassy. You only mail the DS-230 and the DS-2001 (to the Immigrant Visa Unit). Check off the docs that you have gathered on the DS-2001-- your mailing this lets them know that you have all the required documents in your possession, and that you are ready for them to schedule the interview. You'll bring these items to your interview (bring the originals or certified copies of each, PLUS a photocopy of each), where they will be evaluated. Make sure you bring any additional documents that are needed for the I-864 (like the tax returns for your sponsor, etc.).

I'm planning to mail my 230 and 2001 together-- I don't think it matters if you send together or separate.

We haven't booked my husband's medical appointment yet, as we're a step behind you in the process-- we just received our NOA2, and are waiting for Packet 3 to arrive. But the docs say that appts are booked on a first come, first served basis, so I would call for an appointment ASAP, if you're trying to expedite the process. You'll need your case number when you call.

In the UK do you guys have to provide a 'clean record' document or do you just state you have never been arrested on the DS 230 form?

Docs which don't apply to me are military records, previous divorce docs, court and prison records and adoption papers

Edited by JamilahAM

In the UK do you guys have to provide a 'clean record' document or do you just state you have never been arrested on the DS 230 form?

Docs which don't apply to me are military records, previous divorce docs, court and prison records and adoption papers

Hey... I think that's the whole idea of the Police Certificate which proves you have never been arrested.

Hi there. I am slightly behind you in the process, but my reading of the instructions are that you ONLY send the Part I part of DS-230 back. Part II you take completed but not signed to the interview. Also, with DS-2001 it asks for the date of the medical appointment so I would get that confirmed before you send the form back. The instructions say you must send DS-230 Part I back immediately, but you can send DS-2001 separately - i.e. when you are ready for the interview. I cannot imagine many people doing this in practice as I would have thought you would not want any chance of the process being delayed. They won't set your interview date without DS-2001.

All other points in the commentary above I agree with. You do not send the supporting docs in the mail. They all need to be presented with a photocopy at the interview.

Separately, I am planning to just get the vaccinations done on the day of the medical and let them tell me what I need (I have no records!). May be cheaper at the GP though.

Hope this helps.

Steve (UKC) & Sonja (USC)

MARRIED August 2004

NOA1 8 Feb 2010

NOA2 8 Mar 2010

PACKET 3 17 Mar 2010

MEDICAL 30 Mar 2010

PACKET 4 15 Apr 2010

INTERVIEW 24 May 2010 - APPROVED!!

VISA RECEIVED 27 May 2010

---------------------

REMAINING TARGETS

ARRIVE USA 7 Jun 2010

Hi there. I am slightly behind you in the process, but my reading of the instructions are that you ONLY send the Part I part of DS-230 back. Part II you take completed but not signed to the interview.

You are incorrect. I have a checklist from the Embassy regarding what to send and I quote "Send back DS-230 Parts I and II immediately".

Edited by hdouthit

02/11/10 - Hubby (USC) has I-130 interview at Sydney Embassy

02/11/10 - Hubby and I have CRBA interview at Sydney Embassy

02/17/10 - Medical results received

02/22/10 - Police check received

02/22/10 - NOA2/Packet 3 received

02/23/10 - DS230 mailed off to Embassy

02/23/10 - CRBA received with US Passport for daughter

02/26/10 - DS2001 and supporting documents mailed to Sydney Embassy

03/02/10 - Packet 4 received. Application is complete!

03/09/10 - Visa interview scheduled at Sydney Embassy

03/09/10 - Visa approved

03/11/10 - Visa received

03/19/10 - POE Los Angeles

03/31/10 - Greencard received

04/20/10 - SSN received

Hi there. I am slightly behind you in the process, but my reading of the instructions are that you ONLY send the Part I part of DS-230 back. Part II you take completed but not signed to the interview. ...

Separately, I am planning to just get the vaccinations done on the day of the medical and let them tell me what I need (I have no records!). May be cheaper at the GP though. ...

uk2usa2010,

Thanks for clarifying for us-- I remember reading that somewhere, but was confused by the fact that the pdf entitled "DS-230 Part I" is actually the full four page document (Parts I and II). Also, I'm not sure if you care about the money, but my husband was able to get his vaccinations for free from his local GP-- if you just take in the forms from the embassy, they would probably be able to suss out which ones you needed. Of course, easiest to just get during your medical evaluation, if the money isn't an issue. I think the two my husband got would've been 60GBP at the evaluation.

You are incorrect. I have a checklist from the Embassy regarding what to send and I quote "Send back DS-230 Parts I and II immediately".

hdouthit,

Just to clarify, did you see this on a checklist from the London Embassy, or Australia? I've read that the instructions and process are different from each embassy. I don't remember seeing one from London that says to send back both parts immediately.

The checklist I have is regarding Australia so I am not 100% on the UK embassy and definitely someone who knows more should clarify....

Thanks for pointing that out tho! Everyone I have ever talked to refers to sending both parts in so I just went on that :)

02/11/10 - Hubby (USC) has I-130 interview at Sydney Embassy

02/11/10 - Hubby and I have CRBA interview at Sydney Embassy

02/17/10 - Medical results received

02/22/10 - Police check received

02/22/10 - NOA2/Packet 3 received

02/23/10 - DS230 mailed off to Embassy

02/23/10 - CRBA received with US Passport for daughter

02/26/10 - DS2001 and supporting documents mailed to Sydney Embassy

03/02/10 - Packet 4 received. Application is complete!

03/09/10 - Visa interview scheduled at Sydney Embassy

03/09/10 - Visa approved

03/11/10 - Visa received

03/19/10 - POE Los Angeles

03/31/10 - Greencard received

04/20/10 - SSN received

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

It couldn't hurt to send it. Its not like they will deny your case for having sent extra papers :). I would send it, and also bring a copy with you to the interview. They are right though, almost every embassy asks you to send it (unsigned) in advance.

Just to clarify -- for London, you send in Part I and take Part II (unsigned) with you on the day. This has not changed since we filed DCF 3 years ago. If you read the instructions on the embassy website, it is clear about submitting Part I only. It doesn't matter if you submit Part II as well, but on the day you need to bring a completed but unsigned Part II with you.

Re vaccinations: for most people, they will need to have (or have proof of having had) Tdap and MMR; the varicella vaccine is not available in the UK, so if you have had chicken pox you can tell the doctor on the day at the medical and you will have fulfilled this requirement. Getting the jabs for free (or low cost) at your GP is recommended if your GP will agree to do it! (Most will.) Get proof of the jabs to bring with you.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

uk2usa2010,

Thanks for clarifying for us-- I remember reading that somewhere, but was confused by the fact that the pdf entitled "DS-230 Part I" is actually the full four page document (Parts I and II). Also, I'm not sure if you care about the money, but my husband was able to get his vaccinations for free from his local GP-- if you just take in the forms from the embassy, they would probably be able to suss out which ones you needed. Of course, easiest to just get during your medical evaluation, if the money isn't an issue. I think the two my husband got would've been 60GBP at the evaluation.

hdouthit,

Just to clarify, did you see this on a checklist from the London Embassy, or Australia? I've read that the instructions and process are different from each embassy. I don't remember seeing one from London that says to send back both parts immediately.

Dublin Embassy sent out DS-230 part I with packet 3 and the they sent DS-230 part II with packet 4 and the interview appointment.

07-22-2005 Married my American Man in Galway Ireland.

04-02-2008 Gorgeous baby boy born.

12-16-2009 He got offered fab new job in MN USA , we're moving!

01-04-2010 Sent I-130 to Dublin US Embassy.

01-05-2010 Mailed requests for Irish Police Cert and UK Police Cert.

01-07-2010 Applied for and got approved for baby boys new US Passport.

01-11-2010 Received Irish Police Cert.

01-14-2010 Bankers draft for I-130 cashed

01-16-2010 Husband left for USA to start new job :(

01-21-2010 Received Packet 3

01-22-2010 Sent DS 230 back to Dublin. Waiting to send Notice of Readiness, delays with tax returns.

01-23-2010 Started to prepare for Harleys (cat) pet passport. Rabies shot and Microchip today. Found out he doesnt need a pet passport.

01-25-2010 Sent off Notice of Readiness , booked Medical ,hope my UK Police cert arrives in time!

01-29-2010 UK Police Cert arrives. Receive letter from my childhood doctor stating that all my vaccinations are up to date for medical

02-01-2010 Had medical, because my doctors letter didnt say the words MMR in the letter I had to have vaccination again plus the tetanus. E410 for everything.

02-09-2010 Received packet 4. Picked up medical results.

03-01-2010 Interview . Found out I needed a joint sponsor because my husband has'nt had any US earned income in the last 2 years.

03-08-2010 All paperwork received , my case has been placed under review. Hope I get my visa soon.

03-11-2010 Received my visa today!

03-15-2010 POE Chicago.

Just to clarify -- for London, you send in Part I and take Part II (unsigned) with you on the day. This has not changed since we filed DCF 3 years ago. If you read the instructions on the embassy website, it is clear about submitting Part I only. It doesn't matter if you submit Part II as well, but on the day you need to bring a completed but unsigned Part II with you.

Re vaccinations: for most people, they will need to have (or have proof of having had) Tdap and MMR; the varicella vaccine is not available in the UK, so if you have had chicken pox you can tell the doctor on the day at the medical and you will have fulfilled this requirement. Getting the jabs for free (or low cost) at your GP is recommended if your GP will agree to do it! (Most will.) Get proof of the jabs to bring with you.

Meagan... My hero!! Thanks everyone, I think its clear. I'm going to send DS-230 Parts I and II together (II unsigned) and have another copy of this unsigned on the day of interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Meagan... My hero!! Thanks everyone, I think its clear. I'm going to send DS-230 Parts I and II together (II unsigned) and have another copy of this unsigned on the day of interview.

Is the DS-2001 for all embassies? I didn't see that on the list of Mexico.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.