Jellie

Annulment: How to indicate status on forms

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiancee (engaged 10/09) and I have just received our NOA2 and I'm currently preparing the package for the consulate.

I am currently legally single, my previous marriage was annulled in 09/09.

On our I-129F form (filled 11/09) I indicated my marital status as "single" and listed the name of my prior spouse, the date the marriage ended, and included a copy of our annulment papers.

As I prepare the package for the consulate, I see I am required to provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate and the annulment. I've got the annulment certificate, but the only copy of the wedding certificate has been destroyed (blame the ex-wife).

Is it truly necessary I provide a copy of the marriage certificate?

Am I able to obtain a marriage certificate after the marriage has been annulled?

Also, on form DS-0230, how should I indicate my marital status? Again, I indicated "single" on the I-129F. The "single" box contains the term "never married," which is throwing me off. How should I indicate the number of times I have been married?

Do I indicate the same status on the DS-156?

Quite a few questions, I know, and I appreciate any help. Cheers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
My fiancee (engaged 10/09) and I have just received our NOA2 and I'm currently preparing the package for the consulate.

On our I-129F form (filled 11/09) I indicated my marital status as "single" and listed the name of my prior spouse, the date the marriage ended, and included a copy of our annulment papers.

As I prepare the package for the consulate, I see I am required to provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate and the annulment. I've got the annulment certificate, but the only copy of the wedding certificate has been destroyed (blame the ex-wife).

Is it truly necessary I provide a copy of the marriage certificate? yes it is. I assume it's to make sure the annulled marriage and the marriage papers have the same details, or it could also be so they have a beginning and "end" document. Otherwise it's a bit odd to have simply the end.

Am I able to obtain a marriage certificate after the marriage has been annulled? should be no problem.

Also, on form DS-0230, how should I indicate my marital status? Again, I indicated "single" on the I-129F. The "single" box contains the term "never married," which is throwing me off. How should I indicate the number of times I have been married? Ooo tough qn. Personally I would tick the single box and put two lines (so it's still readable) through the term "never married". Then I would put a 1 in the previous marriage times. Hopefully your case (though i'm sure there's been others) will help them realise their form needs another box

Do I indicate the same status on the DS-156? as above.

Hope that helps :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
As I prepare the package for the consulate, I see I am required to provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate and the annulment.

Umm...did I miss something here? I read in the guides that I'll only need a copy of my divorce certificate. Jellie only needs the certified copy of the marriage certificate because of the annulment, correct?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Is it truly necessary I provide a copy of the marriage certificate?

Am I able to obtain a marriage certificate after the marriage has been annulled?

Also, on form DS-0230, how should I indicate my marital status? Again, I indicated "single" on the I-129F. The "single" box contains the term "never married," which is throwing me off. How should I indicate the number of times I have been married?

Do I indicate the same status on the DS-156?

Single means "never married" You were married. You will need a copy of the marriage certificate for the interview. You will need it for the petition IF your name is currently different than your maiden name. (Documents showing name changes, if any, must be attached to the I-129f) Your status, per the I-129f is "divorced"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Umm...did I miss something here? I read in the guides that I'll only need a copy of my divorce certificate. Jellie only needs the certified copy of the marriage certificate because of the annulment, correct?

You will need, at minimum, the marraige certificate for the interview. Check the instructions for the I-129f. You need to show you are legally able to marry (annulment) AND you must show legal documents explaining any name change. If you never changed your maiden name in the previous marrige then you do not need the marriage certificate for the petition, but you WILL need it for the interview.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am the beneficiary. I've been married twice before. I'm using my second married name now. Where it asks for "other names used" I put my maiden name and my first married name.

The instructions for the I-129F state:

D. If either you or your fiancé(e) were married before, give copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated.

So all I got were copies of both divorce certificates, but no marriage certificates. :blink:

Am I to understand that I need to provide marriage certificates as well??

Single means "never married" You were married. You will need a copy of the marriage certificate for the interview. You will need it for the petition IF your name is currently different than your maiden name. (Documents showing name changes, if any, must be attached to the I-129f) Your status, per the I-129f is "divorced"

If you had an anullment, That means the marriage is void, and never existed. It means that you are infact single if I am not mistaken. If you had a Divorce, that means that you would write divorce. But I'm not sure how it works with immigration applications. Double chekc on that thugh, I mean the whole point to an anullment is so that you dont have to say you were ever divorced.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.